• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lets talk about horrible jobs

Shocker

I work for a large company that is making amazing amount of layoffs.  About a month ago they let go a guy I consider #2 in term of importance.  I moved to this team recently and have been here 19 years.  I would have seriously welcomed a layoff due to severance but naturally this guy gets cut instead.  I felt like team members hated me for this but seriously I did like 20 times more but this dude was super important none the less.  The #1 guy on team is working 12 to 18 hrs a day.  I am doing the same.  Right in the middle of these cuts we are doing the largest conversion this company has ever done.  So…the job is horrible.  I passed out today because of stress.  I actually laughed it off.  My wife is concerned that I never sleep.   

So…I cant quit due to the severance I am due.  I am sure my job is easy compared to many folks out there but would love to hear other stories of horrible jobs since it’s Halloween time.

Edited by Shocker

Work and fun don't mix, unless you're a clown.

But in seriousness, every job is going to have its pros and cons. I am currently highly conflicted about my job.

I make mighty good money and I barely do anything on my shifts but it comes at a price. I work overseas and I haven't had the chance to see my family in almost two years. This is partly because of Covid and the other part is due to the fact that my company changed ownership and screwed up our visa process. I am now stuck here until that is fixed, and they seem to be in ZERO hurry.

If I quit this job, I will be losing at the very least $20K a year in a paycut working stateside. Then I will have to find an apartment and get a vehicle, added costs that I don't have here. All this while I am footing the bill for all expenses for a (estranged) wife and three children.

I am about to have to spend the bulk of my savings to fly them out here for a one week visit, something I would never, ever, consider doing due to the cost and the amount of money I currently have saved or in credit lines.

The good news is, I have completely cleared the 30K of debt I was in around December. The loans are all paid off and the credit card balances are at less than $50 total. One of my asshole cards took me down from $4000 to $1000 after I paid it off so I have made sure to keep small balances on each and pay them down to $5 or so.

Anyways, I absolutely hate that I am looking into a nuclear option to see them based on something that I cannot control. No one should have to spend so much money out of desperation to see their family.

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, Shocker said:

I work for a large company that is making amazing amount of layoffs.  About a month ago they let go a guy I consider #2 in term of importance.  I moved to this team recently and have been here 19 years.  I would have seriously welcomed a layoff due to severance but naturally this guy gets cut instead.  I felt like team members hated me for this but seriously I did like 20 times more but this dude was super important none the less.  The #1 guy on team is working 12 to 18 hrs a day.  I am doing the same.  Right in the middle of these cuts we are doing the largest conversion this company has ever done.  So…the job is horrible.  I passed out today because of stress.  I actually laughed it off.  My wife is concerned that I never sleep.   

So…I cant quit due to the severance I am due.  I am sure my job is easy compared to many folks out there but would love to hear other stories of horrible jobs since it’s Halloween time.

Please just remember that if you kill yourself from stress doing this job, your employer will have to hire someone else to do it for you. That's all.

But there won't be anything you or your family can do about making it through the next couple of decades. Without you.

You need a break, really a vacation. Realistically, though, you need to tell them you need two 40-hour weeks in a row to survive this. Do the job, go home, enjoy your family, rest. You are literally killing yourself so someone else can make a bunch of money off of your work. 

If dropping back to normal work for two weeks will crash their company and the project, then they are on such thin ice that even with you killing yourself to do the work, it could all come crumbling down before you see the big payoff. 

And what are they going to do? Fire you? If they are laying people off, don't bet on that severance package paying you off. 

Take care of yourself and your family first. Keeping the job is part of that, but don't let it ruin the lives of the people you love.

There's always another job out there.

• Pie 3