• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remember when Joe Brady said the Panthers would run the ball a lot more?

BlackPanther21_

4 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

I agree. Proof positive that some people are never satisfied.

Yeah I had a good friend growing up who otherwise knew more about the game than I did, but just had unreasonable expectations about performance, particularly at certain positions like RB and MLB. Any MLB short of HOF level was garbage and any RB who couldn't move the pile while also running laps around it and was never injured was also worthless. It was exasperating.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Hubbard after a year of weight training should look a whole lot like CMC in the run game. 

Weight training is not his main problem he was above avg in the quickness drills not elite , so I don’t think he will ever be a top 10 back in league. But I will give him props for a good game but 3.4 is not going to cut for the year.

Edited by TDGone

23 minutes ago, TDGone said:

Weight training is not his main problem he was above avg in the quickness drills not elite , so I don’t think he will ever be a top 10 back in league. But I will give him props for a good game but 3.4 is not going to cut for the year.

3.4 in the second half when it's obvious your team is declining the throw the ball unless they have to is nothing to sneeze at. As bad as our interior OL has been this year, they opened holes for the RB's all day today. Even when it was obvious we were running the ball and the box was stacked. That's not nothing. I've been a harsh critic of the OL play, so I have to give credit where due. Both OL and the RB's played well today, don't get fooled by numbers, see what your eyes actually tell you watching the game.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

We need to be a run first, pass as a last option team. We have the defense for it.

The best bet we have it to limit our QB's by keeping the ball out of their hands.

Furthermore, our OL is actually fairly decent at run blocking. This is a win, win, win.

I love how even after a win people are still turning this on the QB.

They went run heavy because the iOL literally can't pass block. Go back, watch the game again and count the free rushers. Any sort of 'game' and our Oline just lets them run through untouched. 

4 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

They went run heavy because the iOL literally can't pass block. Go back, watch the game again and count the free rushers. Any sort of 'game' and our Oline just lets them run through untouched. 

Yeah, because he sucks. He played a minimal part in the victory. Same with PJ. We won inspire of our QB's. 

No shame in it. Lean in to your strengths as a team. Ours is an elite defense and a serviceable running game.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

My god! The free rushers at times were mind boggling. I counted multiple plays where a defender ran unblocked at Darnold while at least one lineman stood like topiary, blocking no one, seemingly contemplating the nature and meaning of his paycheck and whether it's complete lack of being earned made it any less spendable.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, because he sucks. He played a minimal part in the victory. Same with PJ. We won inspire of our QB's. 

No shame in it. Lean in to your strengths as a team. Ours is an elite defense and a serviceable running game.

Each to their own.

He played well today - kept the offence on track (I lost count of first downs he earned with his legs, but he ran for 66 yards - he had at least 4) and limited the mistakes.

If Moore and Tremble don't drop absolute dimes the final scoreline looks much healthier. 

• Pie 1

I think an underappreciated aspect of a QB's job is making checks at the line to get his team into the right play etc. While Darnold wasn't asked to throw much today (for obvious reasons), and his receivers didn't always help him out, he did run effectively and with heart, and based on the results it seems he did a more than adequete job of managing the offense pre snap at the line of scrimmage. I am still dubious based on the past month that he is likely to evolve into a proficient passer, but it's not impossible and meanwhile he did contribute to today's win.

• Pie 1

54 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

3.4 in the second half when it's obvious your team is declining the throw the ball unless they have to is nothing to sneeze at. As bad as our interior OL has been this year, they opened holes for the RB's all day today. Even when it was obvious we were running the ball and the box was stacked. That's not nothing. I've been a harsh critic of the OL play, so I have to give credit where due. Both OL and the RB's played well today, don't get fooled by numbers, see what your eyes actually tell you watching the game.

Might eyes tell me 25 touches and 91 yards is not going to cut it , but if your ok with avg. play that’s on you. Open your eyes to see his quickness is not equal to the elite backs in the league.So he is what he is but we will need better to win against the better teams in this league.  

4 hours ago, TDGone said:

You're absolutely wrong. He has the skills to be very good. He just needs some bulk. He looks like a college RB right now but after some bulk he will break tackles and be like CMC in the run game. 

2 hours ago, TDGone said:

Might eyes tell me 25 touches and 91 yards is not going to cut it , but if your ok with avg. play that’s on you. Open your eyes to see his quickness is not equal to the elite backs in the league.So he is what he is but we will need better to win against the better teams in this league.  

What I'm saying is that if you think having an elite rb is necessary to winning in the NFL, then tell 1986 I said hello. Elite RB's are vastly overrated in the NFL as the difference between their production and a run of the mill back rarely tends to make the difference in winning. Outside of the TItans being built around Henry, name a current winning team built around an elite RB. Given what an elite RB costs, and the hard reality of the cap, RB is not where I would prefer to spend my team's precious salary cap space.

Yes, I am the fan who likes CMC just fine, but would happily trade him to acquire an elite QB. Tell me which combo you think has a better chance of winning a SB: Darnold and CMC, or Watson and Chubba Hubbard?

We do need to be better to win against the better teams in this league, but in 2021, it's far more critical to be better at positions crucial to the passing game, than the run game, hence Hubbard's play at RB will do for me, since I'm far more focused on getting our OL and QB situations fixed, and not at all concerned about your perceived need for elite RB play.