• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Advanced Passing Stats Through 8 Games(2020 vs. 2021)

kungfoodude

Just now, Catsfan69 said:

He's actually trying to push the ball downfield but line can't block and recievers can't catch.

That's what the stats say

No the stats says he's inaccurate and holding on to the ball to long, and attempting to push the ball down the field even if it's the worst decision. Which has resulted in alot of short fields for our defense. 

Just now, Pantherxtreme said:

In what realm is Sam doing better. Teddy was pressured 7% less probably due to being able to diagnose defenses better and get rid of the ball. 

Also would like to see the turnover ratio. 

2020: 7 total TO's from the QB's. 

2021: 10 total TO's from the QB's.

I do want to point out that this isn't completely a Teddy vs. Sam list of stats. This does include PJ in both 2020 and 2021 at the 8 game mark of the season. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

In what realm is Sam doing better. Teddy was pressured 7% less probably due to being able to diagnose defenses better and get rid of the ball. 

Also would like to see the turnover ratio. 

Lol Teddy was pressured less because the check down route was his first and only read 

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

He's actually trying to push the ball downfield but line can't block and recievers can't catch.

That's what the stats say

The receivers have had some truly ugly drops but I've seen a number of passes downfield sailing over receivers heads or out of bounds. Sam has not been very accurate deep to put it lightly.

10 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

The two are related imo.  At the start of the year, Darnolds bad throw percentage was much lower I think.  I think it was something like 15% thru his first 4 games.  But the pressure built, defenses learned how to cover our guys (I mean we had teams in back to back weeks commenting they knew our damn routes), Darnold became Bad Sam again, and yeah.

One thing to note is Darnold is significantly more productive on the ground than Teddy was. In fact, if we are going to grow at all as an offense it'll be more smart usage of his legs IMO. 

Interesting our yards/comp is higher this year despite Darnold... I didn't expect that. Barely (8.2 vs 8.7) but still.

Well, the Pressure % was still 28.0% through 4 games. 

Ground production for Darnold is about 5.2 YPC, Teddy was 5.0 YPC. Darnold carried the ball 34 times to Teddy's 30 times. The biggest thing is that Darnold has a nose for the end zone when we are in the red zone and Teddy just did not have that at all. Heck, he didn't have it through the air either. 

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, the Pressure % was still 28.0% through 4 games. 

Ground production for Darnold is about 5.2 YPC, Teddy was 5.0 YPC. Darnold carried the ball 34 times to Teddy's 30 times. The biggest thing is that Darnold has a nose for the end zone when we are in the red zone and Teddy just did not have that at all. Heck, he didn't have it through the air either. 

YPC may not be that different, but what is total yardage like?  Although maybe part of my memory is influenced by the handful of long runs Darnold has had nowthat have been called back (been at least 2).

One positive is that Darnold doesn't seem to have the allergy for the end zone Teddy had here. Weirdly, he doesnt' have it in Denver (not that he is prolific there in scoring TDs, but better than here!)

edit: Pressure % being the same is interesting. Can you see his time in the pocket between those first games and the overall? Does feel like he isn't getting the ball out as fast but that can just be perception and not reality

Edited by mav1234

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

YPC may not be that different, but what is total yardage like?  Although maybe part of my memory is influenced by the handful of long runs Darnold has had nowthat have been called back (been at least 2).

One positive is that Darnold doesn't seem to have the allergy for the end zone Teddy had here. Weirdly, he doesnt' have it in Denver (not that he is prolific there in scoring TDs, but better than here!)

174 to 151. Darnold's runs have been less impressive than you are remembering but most people also forget that Teddy actually did have some wheels on him. He actually rushed for 279 yards in 2020.