• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I know we give this coaching staff a lot of flak, but, we can all agree..

Ivan The Awesome

3 hours ago, trueblade said:

Cam played 15 games for the Patriots. These were his stats in his final regular season game after 15 games of wear and tear on the shoulder.

Cam went 21-30 for 242 yards, 3 TD’s, 0 picks / 11 rushes, 79 yards / 1 reception, 19 yards, 1 TD

He was also New England's leading rusher that day.

To be fair, 50 of his rushing yards were on one play.

However, one thing you will notice if you watch that game is that Cam displayed a very deft touch on the ball that he NEVER showed while he was here.  He tossed a really nice lofted ball for a TD that MVPCam would have tried to simply rifle in.  His check downs were no longer too hot to handle.

I'm hopeful.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

You can’t be serious… giving full control to a college coach has never worked… Greg Schiano, Doug Marrone, Chip Kelly, Bill O’Brien, and now Rhule. Harbaugh was the only coach who had any success and his players ran him off because he was a dick.

And it’s not just the QB position, it’s hard to evaluate every position, hell it took this staff just as long to find a kicker as it did to realize they made a mistake in releasing Cam. Using one example of Brady doesn’t make your case any stronger.

The big issue here is that the answer truly was on the roster but now we are paying $40M more than we needed to in order to find out what we knew all along. Not to mention they didn’t even give Cam a chance to compete… it was a new coaching staff that was egotistical and wanted full control and knew they wouldn’t have full control as long as Cam was the QB because of his presence.

Now you have everyone on here asking how we are going to keep Cam, Reddick, Gilmore, and Jackson… well we could have if we weren’t paying $40M to Rhule’s QB’s.

Bottom line is Matt Rhule knows football, where he’s struggled so far is player evaluation and he was on the verge of getting himself fired until Tepper made him reach out to Cam.

You do realize that he rebuilt this entire defense right? Brown, Chinn, signing Reddick, trading for Gilmore, drafting Horn....I can name more but if you're going trash Rhule for the QB then give him credit for rebuilding the defense. He also drafted Hubbard and also signed Abdullah who also has been a pleasant surprise. The majority of people on defense are the players he chose except Burns, Shaq, and Donte and those were Hurney/Gettleman picks.

This coaching staff isn't perfect. I didn't agree with them cutting Cam in the first place and then I also didn't agree picking up Sam's 5th year option but at least this coaching has the balls to admit when they are wrong and are able to resign Cam. How many other franchises would have done what he have done? To have the gall to say that "Hey, we made a mistake. Let's bring you back". I can't think of many. 

• Pie 2

22 minutes ago, Darknight said:

I am one of the few that loves this coaching staff. it's hard to find and evaluate a QB. That is problem the hardest position to evaluate. If it was so easy, Brady would not have went in the 6th round. Everybody saying the Rhule shouldn't be the decision maker on the QB but I don't think Fitz would have done any better.

At the beginning of the season when Sam wasn't turning the ball over, we were 3-0. Then the Dallas game happen and he started to turn the football over. We are 5-5. We had 5 wins this year and I'm pretty sure we are going to win a few more games. From 5-11 to possibly playoffs in 1 season with a young roster? I'll take that.

I'm just glad to see they are actively trying to fix the problem and find an answer. Even with the offensive line. I guarantee that will be address in the off-season.

I’ll add this well since it won’t let me edit my original post.

The guy who was the director of college scouting for the Seahawks and identified Russell Wilson in the third round probably knows more about identifying talent than the college coach who’s best QB’s have been P.J. Walker and Charlie Brewer.

16 minutes ago, BrianS said:

To be fair, 50 of his rushing yards were on one play.

However, one thing you will notice if you watch that game is that Cam displayed a very deft touch on the ball that he NEVER showed while he was here.  He tossed a really nice lofted ball for a TD that MVPCam would have tried to simply rifle in.  His check downs were no longer too hot to handle.

I'm hopeful.

what does this change lol

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I’ll add this well since it won’t let me edit my original post.

The guy who was the director of college scouting for the Seahawks and identified Russell Wilson in the third round probably knows more about identifying talent than the college coach who’s best QB’s have been P.J. Walker and Charlie Brewer.

Rhule has missed on QB after he tried to Stafford. After he tried to get Watson and then settled for Darnold. I'm ok with passing on Fields. I dont like any QBs from Alabama or Ohio State. Darnold was ok fi the firt 3 games and he unraveled.

I dont see people give him credit for the defense.

• Pie 2

19 minutes ago, Darknight said:

You do realize that he rebuilt this entire defense right? Brown, Chinn, signing Reddick, trading for Gilmore, drafting Horn....I can name more but if you're going trash Rhule for the QB then give him credit for rebuilding the defense. He also drafted Hubbard and also signed Abdullah who also has been a pleasant surprise. The majority of people on defense are the players he chose except Burns, Shaq, and Donte and those were Hurney/Gettleman picks.

This coaching staff isn't perfect. I didn't agree with them cutting Cam in the first place and then I also didn't agree picking up Sam's 5th year option but at least this coaching has the balls to admit when they are wrong and are able to resign Cam. How many other franchises would have done what he have done? To have the gall to say that "Hey, we made a mistake. Let's bring you back". I can't think of many. 

I already gave him credit for the defense… Brown, Chinn, Reddick, and Horn are all solid players and Snow has them playing at an elite level.

Gilmore on the other hand was a Fitterer move as all the trades have been at his discretion.

I think the issue here is that Igo basically stated that Tepper gave Rhule an ultimatum in regards to Cam’s return… it was at the point where Tepper wouldn’t let Gilmore have the number one jersey because it was already on his mind at that point.

I actually think Rhule is a brilliant football mind and knows the X’s and O’s as good as anyone, with that said, one person shouldn’t be responsible for total control of a football team. Fans of Carolina sports should know this… MJ ruined Hornets basketball for years because he wouldn’t listen to anyone. Finally Kupchak talked some sense into him.

I think Rhule will have success but it’s because of him taking a step back and letting our GM be the GM.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Darknight said:

@MillionDollarCam

I also disagree that Tepper made Rhule reach out to Cam.

I'm curious about this. I would think in the circumstance of picking up a Free Agent QB, the normal procedure would be for the GM to call the agent. But that's not what happened here. We know from Cam's press conference he wasn't expecting the call. If Fitt had called his agent first, I feel confident his agent would have told Cam. Instead, we have Rhule making the first contact. Maybe because Rhule and Cam had some things to work out about his departure [edit: meaning Cam's original departure from the team]? 

I don't know if Tepper made Rhule reach out to Cam, but it seems clear that Rhule and Cam had something to work out.

Edited by trueblade
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, rico6 said:

what does this change lol

It changes a lot.  When you say 11 rushes for 79 yards you're thinking to yourself "Oh, he gashed the!  7 yards per rush!"  That's not the case at all.  Minus that run, he was under 3 yards per carry.

Cam is not as fast as he was.  He still has power, which is great.  But do you really want your only decent QB running power?  I don't.  I'd love to see 4 or 5 runs per game from Cam - especially read options.  Enough to establish that he CAN run, but not enough to see him take hits consistently.  Enough to make the defense prepare.

We need to be very careful about protecting a guy who can still be "the franchise".  He's been hurt before.  I'd rather not see that again.

2 minutes ago, Darknight said:

Rhule has missed on QB after he tried to Stafford. After he tried to get Watson and then settled for Darnold. I'm ok with passing on Fields. I dont like any QBs from Alabama or Ohio State. Darnold was ok fi the firt 3 games and he unraveled.

I dont see people give him credit for the defense.

People who aren’t giving him credit for the defense are foolish. Rhule and Snow have this defense playing at a level that Carolina fans have only seen a few times.

The issue I have again is the process… so we missed out on Stafford; that’s not anyone’s fault. Watson likes tuggies so it was a no go; once again not anyone’s fault. I am in the same boat and don’t like Fields so no argument from me there.

What wasn’t the right move is compounding the Bridgewater mistake by bringing on Darnold.

14 minutes ago, Darknight said:

Add to this that Donte was wildly inconsistent and seemed unhappy before Rhule/Snow got here. I think everyone remembers that team meeting where he blew off all of the vets on Hard Knocks. Last year was the first year he seemed really happy on the sidelines, and this year he's a legit leader on defense. I give Rhule and Snow credit for that. I give Rhule credit for bringing in Snow when everyone was certain it was just cronyism that made him bring Snow with him to the NFL. Boy were those people wrong. 

• Pie 1