• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Way too early look at ‘22 Offseason

Santee_Panther

Players currently under contract through ‘22 season:

QB- Darnold (yuck)
RB- CMC, Hubbard
FB- obsolete?
WR- DJ Moore, Anderson, Marshall, Smith, D. Moore
TE- Tremble
OT- Moton, Erving, Christensen
OG- Daley, Brown, Moore
C- Elflein

DT- Brown, Roy, Nixon, Hoskins
DE- Burns, Fox, YGM
MLB- ????
OLB- Shaq, ???
DB- Horn, Henderson, Bouye, Pride, Taylor, Thomas-Oliver
S- Chinn, Franklin, Hartsfield

Special teams: Fletcher, Charlton

Free Agents [potential replacement]:
Cam (QB) [?]
Reddick (OLB) [?]
Paradis (C) [Elflein?]
Burris (SS) [Hartsfield]
D Jax & Gilmore (CB). [Bouye, Henderson]
John Miller (RG). [Christensen/Brown]
Ian Thomas (TE). [Tremble]
J Carter (LB) [?]

The OL is it’s own animal, but in a dream scenario Daley can hold down LT and Elflein is serviceable at C. (Big assumptions, sure). I’ve been of the opinion that interior play has been worse than the tackles. 

In that case, biggest remaining issues:

- Glaring hole at QB1, perhaps that problem magically goes away if Cam plays well and takes a home team discount to extend

- CB is loaded, not sure we can afford both D Jax and Reddick. If can only keep one, I’d prefer to keep Reddick. Good news is losing Jax could net a 3rd rounder in a ‘23 comp pick. 

- how much does it cost to keep Carter and/or upgrade MLB?

I’d argue our cap is in pretty good shape. Yes, “only” $35 mil in ‘22, but over $100 mil in ‘23 and beyond. We can do some trickery with extensions of good, young players to make it through next year. 

7 minutes ago, Santee_Panther said:

QB- Darnold (yuck)
RB- CMC, Hubbard
FB- obsolete?
TE- Tremble
OG- Daley, Brown, Moore
C- Elflein

DE- Burns, Fox, YGM
MLB- ????
OLB- Shaq, ???

Cam (QB) [?]
Reddick (OLB) [?]
Paradis (C) [Elflein?]
Burris (SS) [Hartsfield]
J Carter (LB) [?]

The OL is it’s own animal, but in a dream scenario Daley can hold down LT and Elflein is serviceable at C. (Big assumptions, sure). I’ve been of the opinion that interior play has been worse than the tackles. 

- Glaring hole at QB1, perhaps that problem magically goes away if Cam plays well and takes a home team discount to extend

- CB is loaded, not sure we can afford both D Jax and Reddick. If can only keep one, I’d prefer to keep Reddick. Good news is losing Jax could net a 3rd rounder in a ‘23 comp pick. 

I’d argue our cap is in pretty good shape. Yes, “only” $35 mil in ‘22, but over $100 mil in ‘23 and beyond. We can do some trickery with extensions of good, young players to make it through next year. 

Carter may not be exactly expensive to keep. Could franchise tag Jax and possibly structure a deal that's cap friendly for Reddick and pay Gilly now but the off season focus will be OL honestly Rhule has shown he likes to fix glaring holes although could get good picks out of the draft for OL I would hate to see them waste a pick on the QB situation

3 minutes ago, 95Panthers4Ever said:

Carter may not be exactly expensive to keep. Could franchise tag Jax and possibly structure a deal that's cap friendly for Reddick and pay Gilly now but the off season focus will be OL honestly Rhule has shown he likes to fix glaring holes although could get good picks out of the draft for OL I would hate to see them waste a pick on the QB situation

Franchise for a CB is $15mil, and CB is a position where we have a ton of depth. Seems like a luxury. Agree that off-season focus likely on OL, but typically better to address OL through draft than free agency. 

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, Santee_Panther said:

QB- Darnold (yuck)
RB- CMC, Hubbard
FB- obsolete?
TE- Tremble
OG- Daley, Brown, Moore
C- Elflein

DE- Burns, Fox, YGM
MLB- ????
OLB- Shaq, ???

Cam (QB) [?]
Reddick (OLB) [?]
Paradis (C) [Elflein?]
Burris (SS) [Hartsfield]
J Carter (LB) [?]

Neither David Moore made the team. Sooo, not under contract?

also, Kenny Robinson still there at Safety.

Edited by imminent rogaine

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I don’t think Daley is capable of holding down LT. Our best bet is Erving getting healthy or BC stepping in. The most frustrating thing is Darnold taking up $18 million next year. That money could have been used on Reddick or Gilmore…

Agree it sucks on Darnold, but it is a one year hold. Much better than the hell from Kalil contract, which hurt us for 3-4 years (ignoring the loss of 2nd round pick, which hurts more than the cap hit). 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I don’t think Daley is capable of holding down LT. Our best bet is Erving getting healthy or BC stepping in. The most frustrating thing is Darnold taking up $18 million next year. That money could have been used on Reddick or Gilmore…

Can somebody tell me why the hell we picked that up in the first place despite the 3-0 start he wasn't playing that great then it was the defense and CMC mostly. I really hope they find a way to minimize that stupid idea hurting us

• Pie 1

Did you take into account the cap going up next year? I think we could resign both Jackson and Reddick. The Saints have shown us there are ways, lol. I also see us going heavy on the line in the draft. Cam should be back next year barring anything weird happening. Don't be surprised if we pull some weird deal to trade Darnold plus one of our many CBs or draft picks to offload as much dead money from his contract as possible. Worst case scenario restructure and stretch it out contingent on next years needs. Draft will be boom or bust and we will be very active in free agency. It will be interesting to see what Tepper has Fitterer do from here on out or what Fitterer tells Tepper what he wants to do and gets the stamp of approval. Also good to see a fellow Orangeburg County boy, I'm from Holly Hill living just outside of DC in Maryland now though. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

At least it's only for one year.   

Imagine the horror if they had extended him for multiple years...

Scared Halloween GIF by Jin

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, Luciu5 said:

No mention of Daquan Jones anywhere? He's actually a very important piece to our defense.

He's been so sneaky good!  I think we have to try to keep him, but if someone is going to overpay, then we'll have to figure something else out.  If nothing else, he's been great for Brown's development as a run stuffer for sure.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1