• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting nugget from Rhule’s Brady presser

CRA

7 hours ago, CRA said:

Rhule commented that going forward some things would be the same outside of Nixon calling the actual plays.  Specifically that different members of the offensive staff are tasked each week with game planning different aspects of the O (redzone, 3rd down, short yardage) and that they will continue doing that…

well, maybe that shouldn’t continue as is either?   Maybe you don’t need the exact same folks cooking up stuff and handing it to the new name OC.  Seems like they would be key part of the game planning problems.  

You make a good argument.

11 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Should I root for the Falcons Sunday?  I mean it would feel as weird as giving your grandmother a tongue kiss, but if it means getting rid of Rhule? Eh???????????????

You don't root against your team. You don't celebrate failure. That's not what fans do.

But I already knew you and several others aren't real fans anyway.

12 hours ago, Basbear said:

Rhule should be the OC/play-caller after he fired Brady, that is the correct choice. 

Has he done that at any level, I don't remember reading anything about him that refenced offense or even defense as an area of expertise. He seemed the ''organizer'' type based on all the information around the time of hire. 

12 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Fitts and Rhule really started talking big when we started off 3-0. 

Unfortunately, both of Rhule's seasons started with promise before unraveling badly. This one even worse than last one. What we expected was a couple of struggle seasons while showing progress. What we've actually gotten is a couple of flailing seasons showing regression.

I can't back this take up, the only regression was Quarterback, the defense from his 1st season to now is night and day, if we attack legit OL in FA (as we have cap now) and Fitt can parlay our first into a late 1, and a 2nd, and  a 3rd (we'd jump up to 9 total picks just like that) to offset the Sam trade and continue to address OL, we're on to something. 

There's enough Cam left for a 1-2 season stint while the rest of the offense is addressed, and set up for a future 2023 pick. 

6 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

I can't back this take up, the only regression was Quarterback, the defense from his 1st season to now is night and day, if we attack legit OL in FA (as we have cap now) and Fitt can parlay our first into a late 1, and a 2nd, and  a 3rd (we'd jump up to 9 total picks just like that) to offset the Sam trade and continue to address OL, we're on to something. 

There's enough Cam left for a 1-2 season stint while the rest of the offense is addressed, and set up for a future 2023 pick. 

Not just QB. The OL is a dumpster fire. Every receiver has regressed. The D has looked like trash two the past two games.

I'm really not seeing anything for Rhule to hang his hat on right now in terms of signs of progress.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not just QB. The OL is a dumpster fire. Every receiver has regressed. The D has looked like trash two the past two games.

I'm really not seeing anything for Rhule to hang his hat on right now in terms of signs of progress.

The OL is down to 3rd, and 4th string guys that are UDFA's in 3 spots, there were not many better OL to sign over Erving and Elflein. 

KC's OL looked like a dumpster fire in the SB for the SAME reasons...injury. Aside from Okung, on paper the OL was penciled in to better. 

The defense is going to look bad if the offense can't muster a TD, football is complementary, and right now guys are pressing and trying to do too much. 

The 3-0 start got everyone, staff, roster, and fans sipping the kool-aid. The defense should honestly be even better heading into next year. 

IMO Jackson is gone, and you have -- Gilmore, Horn, Abouye, Henderson as the rotation, the front seven could use a better off-ball LB'er to pair with Shaq, and I'd like to see a more cover safety added to allow Chinn to play down in the box / match TE's more often. 

So when you have a bad QB (Darnold), and a banged up, now starting UDFA's all over the OL, this is to be expected. 

My issue is why after Brady Christenen looked good at LT, why did we bench him for Daley, who is just IMO a better G, than T? Was it other depth concerns, or something else?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

A bigger question from this tidbit is why have the potential disconnect and what's the reason divy up all those responsibilities? So Brady wasn't in charge of game plan, third down, or red zone? Like what?  "Nixon will call plays in conjunction with those guys"

So we have 3-4 guys controlling different aspects of the offense and not one at the top driving home the overall game plan and execution? Just Rhule's oversight.  This seems weird but at the same time, I obviously don't believe him.

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, saX man said:

A bigger question from this tidbit is why have the potential disconnect and what's the reason divy up all those responsibilities? So Brady wasn't in charge of game plan, third down, or red zone? Like what?  "Nixon will call plays in conjunction with those guys"

So we have 3-4 guys controlling different aspects of the offense and not one at the top driving home the overall game plan and execution? Just Rhule's oversight.  This seems weird but at the same time, I obviously don't believe him.

I think this was probably set up similar to college, ala ''passing game coordinator'' was Brady's roll at LSU, my understanding is he was not the ''play-caller''. 

So I imagine that was the goal, every person provides the feedback, and sets aside responsibility to culminate in the gameplan on Sunday where the OC calls things based off of the group's work during the week. 

8 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

I think this was probably set up similar to college, ala ''passing game coordinator'' was Brady's roll at LSU, my understanding is he was not the ''play-caller''. 

So I imagine that was the goal, every person provides the feedback, and sets aside responsibility to culminate in the gameplan on Sunday where the OC calls things based off of the group's work during the week. 

I think you're in the ballpark of reality.  It makes me wonder if we have this hodgepodge staff doing this and the rest of the league is laughing like we're amateurs. 

The structure of it all alone leaves so much room for issues.  Just seems like a faulty coaching set up that is not on par with NFL standards. 

You would think this would be something to ask our most veteran of players that came from other organizations on offense, problem being, we're so young, the only players that could identify it's bonkers are Paradis, Cam, & Erving who this staff gifted cash and career extensions despite being journeymen so I doubt they'd say much.  This is such a young and inexperienced team coaches and players alike. 

Our 4 most veteran players were midseason pickups: Cam, Omameh (who?), Barkley, & Snead...SMDH

14 hours ago, CRA said:

Rhule commented that going forward some things would be the same outside of Nixon calling the actual plays.  Specifically that different members of the offensive staff are tasked each week with game planning different aspects of the O (redzone, 3rd down, short yardage) and that they will continue doing that…

well, maybe that shouldn’t continue as is either?   Maybe you don’t need the exact same folks cooking up stuff and handing it to the new name OC.  Seems like they would be key part of the game planning problems.  

Why? Why would you do this? Is this normal in the NFL? Maybe if they’re prepping for a great run defense they let the QB coach take the lead. If it’s a great pass D the other way? I’m assuming this isn’t just a random selection. Hopefully it’s geared toward the coaches strengths but man this seems like it would create a real lack of continuity with the players. 

• Pie 1

Listened to mike Wallace and then tre Boston on WFNZ 

yhere talking about Rhule’s not comprehending what it takes to win in the NFL, combined with his inability to change,  all but guarantees he either won’t be back or more of the same next year 

said it appeared the time had checked out the second half of the Miami game 

says if he doesn’t win at least two and look competitive in the other three, probability he is gone 

guy can’t be gone  soon enough