• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Florio & Rich Eisen discuss Rhule & Tepper

BlitzMonster

3 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I hear a lot of people say he was a mid-tier college coach.  I'm genuinely curious, how would you tier the college football conferences.

For me its..

Tier 1: SEC

Tier 2: Big 10, Big 12

Tier 3: Pac 12, ACC

Tier 4: everyone else

If he were the commissioner of the Big 12 that would be one thing, he was the head coach of a couple of teams that were never going to seriously challenge the top tier teams in college football.

Hence mid-tier.

33 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I saw a pic somewhere(reddit maybe), 3 minutes leftd and maaaayyyybbbee 15% were still there. Facts are many other teams have that same problem- loins,jags,jets,wfts just to name a few. I doubt by seasons end the panthers would be last, even if it feels like it. 

Trust me, if you owned season tickets, you’d more than feel it 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Basbear said:

So who do you got/want?

I think the better question is "who does this job appeal to ?"  Just look at the team liabilities:

• no QB
  • OL is a problem and needs lots of work
  • overall defensive performance has been checkered at best this season
  • missing a bunch of good draft picks for 2022
  • salary cap is starting to get hamstrung with all the high-dollar contracts that were handed out

I'd have to say not many coaches would find this job interesting.   

Edited by BlitzMonster
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Trust me, if you owned season tickets, you’d more than feel it 

according to ESPN(eww....) panthers are 7th(must be a lie) in attendance.....I feel they are closer to low 20s....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

heres is another https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/attendance.htm

Is this a bad joke/ruse?

Edited by Basbear

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hurney had hype when Tepper bought the team? Who was hyping Marty Hurney in 2018?

Honestly, I just don't think Tepper had the ability to evaluate football people. He let an absolute moron in Hurney sell him on the idea that he was one of the NFL's great drafters (😂) and then he let a college coach from a C level program sell him on his culture and program building abilities. Yikes.

Hurney hyped himself. Tepper bought it when he bought the team. 

2 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I think the better question is "who does this job appeal to ?"  Just look at the team liabilities:

• no QB
  • starting to get hamstrung with all the high-dollar contracts that were handed out

I'd have to say not many coaches would find this job appealing.   

True, but have you seen the brinks truck Tepper can offer??

Plus hes building avengers south, that would be nice to be apart of....  

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

• no QB
  • salary cap is starting to get hamstrung with all the high-dollar contracts that were handed out

New coaches pretty much always take over bad teams.

it's generally done with the mindset "Yeah they suck, but I can fix it".

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

• no QB

Up and coming coaches believe in themselves and want an opportunity to prove it as a head coach.

The Panthers job isn't ideal, but how many teams that fire their head coaches are?  Winning organizations rarely have head coach openings.

I'm sure Tepper is more than capable of making an offer that will be hard to refuse.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Nah give Finesser and Dan Morgan the keys and see where they take it.....He was uber aggressive in the draft and trade deadlines stuff....I loved that. His free agents signes I hated......I was right it seems about them.....tho Id call it a push given Fox,Jones, and reddick saved the group. Elf has looked decent as a C too....Erv Im sure is already hurt again form stepping out of his car....

I hated it.  We let a ton of talent slide right past us in the name of adding picks.   Who is contributing right now from this draft?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Up and coming coaches believe in themselves and want an opportunity to prove it as a head coach.

The Panthers job isn't ideal, but how many teams that fire their head coaches are?  Winning organizations rarely have head coach openings.

I'm sure Tepper is more than capable of making an offer that will be hard to refuse.

Where you get apprehensive is wondering whether he makes said offer to the right person