• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Florio & Rich Eisen discuss Rhule & Tepper

BlitzMonster

26 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

If he were the commissioner of the Big 12 that would be one thing, he was the head coach of a couple of teams that were never going to seriously challenge the top tier teams in college football.

Hence mid-tier.

I don't understand the commissioner thing, but he did take a 1 win team in a power 5 conference and 2 years later they were ranked #7 in the country.  That same school is now ranked 6th in the country.  Temple will never amount to much but it seems like Baylor is definitely challenging the top tier teams.

Hell - if Baylor is a mid-tier school, how the hell did they manage to win the NCAA basketball tourney last year? 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

No. I want to fire any head coach who struggles while looking utterly clueless with ample signs that he's losing the locker room and instilling a culture of no accountability. Rhule is checking every box. I would feel completely differently if we were struggling whole showing signs of progress. This is the opposite of that. Everyone on the roster looks like they're regression and schematically we look like a mid-major college team. Hmmm... imagine that.

How did you feel after the 2020 season?

How do you feel after 3-0 start?

What were your expectations coming into this year?

Be honest. 

3 minutes ago, Basbear said:

How did you feel after the 2020 season?

How do you feel after 3-0 start?

What were your expectations coming into this year?

Be honest. 

Somewhat optimistic... and then we traded for Sam Darnold.

Much more pessimistic than the rest of this board. I still thought Darnold was likely a flash in the pan and I was trying to tell y'all (with great pushback) that we hadn't beaten anyone yet.

.500ish while being competitive week in and week out.

7 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I don't understand the commissioner thing, but he did take a 1 win team in a power 5 conference and 2 years later they were ranked #7 in the country.  That same school is now ranked 6th in the country.  Temple will never amount to much but it seems like Baylor is definitely challenging the top tier teams.

Hell - if Baylor is a mid-tier school, how the hell did they manage to win the NCAA basketball tourney last year? 

Where was Rhule again?  What sport does he coach?

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm fine with that sort of arrangement, but ours is not that simple.

Rhule has final say over everything in the program. It's the same model Seattle has with Pete Carroll, but Pete Carroll was a guy with real NFL experience and a far higher level of success at the college level than Matt Rhule.

Giving Rhule that kind of power was like taking the assistant manager at the local McDonald's and making him CEO of the corporation.

yeah - i get that you don't think he's qualified, but I don't know how you hire a guy and don't do what you can to give him the tools (players) he believes he needs to be successful.  To me that's a little different.

Now if you have evidence that Rhule is negotiating salaries and extensions and managing the cap while handling the building of the new practice facility, organizing the off season weight lifting programs, and putting together the menus for the player's spread, you'll be on to something.

Even with the bad W/L record, I wouldn't be mad at Rhule if the young players were developing.  That would suggest the future of the team will be bright.  But there's been no obvious growth or development for any of the 2021 draft class.  Outside of Horn, not a single clear starter among the bunch.  

Also Jeremy Chinn (2020 all rookie first team) and Derrick Brown (who was SEC Defensive POY) both seemed to have regressed.  

Those issues are far more important for me than some losses in the 2021 season.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Somewhat optimistic... and then we traded for Sam Darnold.

Much more pessimistic than the rest of this board. I still thought Darnold was likely a flash in the pan and I was trying to tell y'all (with great pushback) that we hadn't beaten anyone yet.

.500ish while being competitive week in and week out.

seem you want to get rid of Sammy boy more than Rhule. I will not defend trading for Sam, tho he did look good for the first 3 game....then what the scouts said about him came true, he can not process the field in a timely matter. Unfair somewhat to him that hes never had even a average OL, always running for his life for 4 full years..

Not far off form what you thought, they are playing poor and have been for many games(too many). its hard to support rhule, i know that...

17 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

yeah - i get that you don't think he's qualified, but I don't know how you hire a guy and don't do what you can to give him the tools (players) he believes he needs to be successful.  To me that's a little different.

Now if you have evidence that Rhule is negotiating salaries and extensions and managing the cap while handling the building of the new practice facility, organizing the off season weight lifting programs, and putting together the menus for the player's spread, you'll be on to something.

You seriously think someone else on the team just decided we should have a bunch of Temple and Baylor players on roster, or that Robby Anderson needed to get a big extension?

Yeah, sure 😕

See, this is key: Those examples you cited, Matt Rhule is in charge of every one of those things.

He hires the coordinators and assistant coaches. The strength and conditioning people are his people from Baylor. He has final say over roster decisions, depth chart rankings, free agent signings and draft picks. I mean hell, he even helped choose the GM.

In the area of football operations, there's nobody that the team has hired, signed, drafted, traded for or in any way acquired that Matt Rhule didn't sign off on. That's the kind of power David Tepper have him, and it's not like he argued against it. This is the sort of arrangement he wanted.

Knowing this, any suggestion that he should be absolved of blame for the current state of the organization is pretty weak.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

17 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

Even with the bad W/L record, I wouldn't be mad at Rhule if the young players were developing.  That would suggest the future of the team will be bright.  But there's been no obvious growth or development for any of the 2021 draft class.  Outside of Horn, not a single clear starter among the bunch.  

Also Jeremy Chinn (2020 all rookie first team) and Derrick Brown (who was SEC Defensive POY) both seemed to have regressed.  

Those issues are far more important for me than some losses in the 2021 season.  

Real problems.

I agree the development is a issue right now and that was one of the main reasons Rhule got the job.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

seem you want to get rid of Sammy boy more than Rhule. I will not defend trading for Sam, tho he did look good for the first 3 game....then what the scouts said about him came true, he can not process the field in a timely matter. Unfair somewhat to him that hes never had even a average OL, always running for his life for 4 full years..

Not far off form what you thought, they are playing poor and have been for many games(too many). its hard to support rhule, i know that...

I was done with Rhule as soon as he made that trade. It was clear he learned nothing from the Teddy debacle and went chasing another subpar vet QB because he was scared of developing a rookie.