• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Florio & Rich Eisen discuss Rhule & Tepper

BlitzMonster

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not certain Tepper even had a clue that Hurney was a bad GM until Rhule came along.

(for whatever else you can say about Rhule, we do at least have to thank him for that)

Does he get that Rhule is bad? Don't know. He fell for Rhule's bullsh-t when he hired him. Does he still believe it? Who can say?

I'll give him that he did fire Rivera. Here's hoping that same clarity applies to Matt Rhule.

Pretty sure Tepper looked at Hurney’s track record and knew that nobody else wanted him after he got axed by JR.

...Did they talk about how Tep is juggling too many things to devote enough time to the panthers to be successful..,  and now....at BOFA stadium, the charlotte football club is having their draft tonight, (sure hes there) ... throw in the fantasy land in rock hill and appaloosa, theres no time to make important hard decisions on the panthers...thats why we're a dumpster fire... hes just a money man at heart...

26 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I was done with Rhule as soon as he made that trade. 

I thought Darnold was a pretty good risk.  Highly regarded QB that was the #3 overall pick.   Prospect grade by the NFL was "7.10 - Pro Bowl Talent".  Had NFL size, arm strength and a good college pedigree from a top program.  The Jets franchise was widely known as fairly dysfunctional so maybe he could succeed on the Panthers.  Darnold was still pretty young but he now had 3 years of NFL experience.  

It was a decent gamble to make.  Just didn't work out for a number of reasons (bad OC, porous OL, no strong run game after CMC went down, maybe Sam just didn't have the talent after all).   If it had worked, would have been a bargain for the draft picks we gave up.  But it didn't.  

Edited by BlitzMonster
  • Pie 2

4 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I thought Darnold was a pretty good risk.  Highly regarded QB that was the #3 overall pick.   Prospect grade by the NFL was "7.10 - Pro Bowl Talent".  Had NFL size, arm strength and a good college pedigree from a top program.  The Jets franchise was widely known as fairly dysfunctional so maybe he could succeed on the Panthers.  Darnold was still pretty young but he now had 3 years of NFL experience.  

It was a decent gamble to make.  Just didn't work out for a number of reasons (bad OC, porous OL, no strong run game after CMC went down, maybe Sam just didn't have the talent after all).   If it had worked, would have been a bargain for the draft picks we gave up.  But it didn't.  

He's trash. This staff puts WAY too much stock into what a guy's draft status was. Statistically, Darnold has probably been the worst QB in the NFL during his short career. Sadly, I was proven correct on both Teddy and Darnold. They are what I thought they were. Teddy is a backup. Darnold isn't NFL roster caliber.

27 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

3 draft picks?

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's trash. This staff puts WAY too much stock into what a guy's draft status was. Statistically, Darnold has probably been the worst QB in the NFL during his short career. Sadly, I was proven correct on both Teddy and Darnold. They are what I thought they were. Teddy is a backup. Darnold isn't NFL roster caliber.

I was hopeful but you are exactly right.  Sam's stats for Carolina are almost exactly what he did in NY.  About 220 ypg, 60 % completion, 1:1 TD:INT - it's uncanny how similar his numbers are on both teams.  Darnold's QBR even went down a bit while he was at the Panthers.  That's just who he is.  

Darnold NFL stats

2 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I was hopeful but you are exactly right.  Sam's stats for Carolina are almost exactly what he did in NY.  About 220 ypg, 60 % completion, 1:1 TD:INT - it's uncanny how similar his numbers are on both teams.  Darnold's QBR even went down a bit while he was at the Panthers.  That's just who he is.  

Darnold NFL stats

He's just bad. He has talent but he sticks on his first read too long and then just plain panics if he doesn't come open after staring him down for three seconds.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

3 draft picks?

Would you trade a 2, 4 and a 6 for a good young starting QB ?   I think most teams would.  

Darnold just proved not to be any good.  As LinvilleGorge correctly pointed out, he isn't roster caliber at this point.  

The worst thing was the Panthers picking up Darnold's option.  So the team is on the salary cap hook for a big chunk of change for him now.  

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

How did you feel after the 2020 season?

How do you feel after 3-0 start?

What were your expectations coming into this year?

Be honest. 

I actually felt pretty good at 3-0

them we gagged away the Philly game, and got run over by the Vikings in OT…both at home

then the giants game….man that was about as ugly as it gets…that was where I was pretty much done

But got thru some games, we got to 5-5, with skins at home….that was the game where our season ended

you tankers probably gonna get your way…we won’t win again this year

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Yes, but Darnold was not a good starting QB when we traded for him.

Yeah, it was clearly a serious error by the Panthers scouting & talent evaluation.  Maybe some hubris too by the Carolina coaching staff thinking they could "fix" Darnold when NY couldn't.  

1 minute ago, BlitzMonster said:

Yeah, it was clearly a serious error by the Panthers scouting & talent evaluation.  Maybe some hubris too by the Carolina coaching staff thinking they could "fix" Darnold when NY couldn't.  

My issue with the trade is not that they took the shot, but how it was done.  They paid too much, but more importantly there was no backup plan.  Sam turning things around was far from a guarantee, but we didn't have another NFL caliber QB on the roster entering the season.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

My issue with the trade is not that they took the shot, but how it was done.  They paid too much, but more importantly there was no backup plan.  Sam turning things around was far from a guarantee, but we didn't have another NFL caliber QB on the roster entering the season.

I definitely agree with this.   I mean Teddy wasn't anything great but at least he could game manage and the team was already paying him.  Why not keep him on roster in case Darnold doesn't cut it ?  If nothing else Teddy would have been a great backup QB.

My best guess is that Rhule wanted Sam to be "the man" and that by having Teddy around, somehow that wouldn't be possible.   Divided loyalties in the locker room between the two QB or something like that.   But any pro athlete would tell you that it's all about competition and whoever wins it deserves the shot.   So going all in on unproven Sam with no alternative was a risky move that eventually blew up in Rhule's face.