• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Florio & Rich Eisen discuss Rhule & Tepper

BlitzMonster

9 minutes ago, fjblair said:

Nobody buys an NFL franchise to win, they do it to make money and if they strike gold with a winner that's just gravy.

I don't know about that.  Tepper already has plenty of money.  It's the ego he wants stroked. 

Maybe it's enough for some owners to just be in the billionaire boys club that is the NFL.   But as a Hedge Fund guy, Tepper strikes me the ultra competitive type  - "I want to win" owner.  

Edited by BlitzMonster
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Tepper believes the hype....until he figures out it's just hype then he cuts bait and moves on to the next hyped commodity.

From what I've seen this isn't true. He's doing basically what all new owners do. A lot has to go right for a owner to be successful in the first few years of their ownership. 

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So you think Rhule should be given another year with expectations that you admit would be difficult at very best to pull off? Why not just go ahead and fire him now then? 

I dont see any other unsigned current HC out there that can take Rhule's __________ and do much better. If Mike Zimmer somehow gets fired(i highly doubt), He'd stand a much better chance with these players, mainly cause he did fix the viking(viewed as a joke) and this DB can be special and Zimmer is a DB guru. 

Rebuilding takes time, Rhule and others thought they were ahead(even Thomas Davis said they were more talented than the 2015 team,....LOLOL) 3 years is fair given the sad state of the 2019 panthers, this is it tho. Panthers needs some luck, figure the QB/OL parts, and grow up(youngest team) and Id say could make some playoff noise. 

Did you reaally except them to be 13-4 this year? Look around the league/NFC, bunch of panther-like record for 20 some team. No super team.....best team right now is the Mac"motherfuging"Jones lead Pats..... Panthers beat the the next "best" team, awful year for many other teams. 

Edited by Basbear

Just now, Basbear said:

I dont see any other current HC out there that can take Rhule's __________ and do much better. If Mike Zimmer somehow gets fired(i highly doubt), He'd stand a much better chance with these players, mainly cause he did fix the viking(viewed as a joke) and this DB can be special and Zimmer is a DB guru. 

Rebuilding takes time, Rhule and others thought they were ahead(even Thomas Davis said they were more talented than the 2015 team,....LOLOL) 3 years is fair given the sad state of the 2019 panthers, this is it tho. Panthers needs some luck, figure the QB/OL parts, and grow up(youngest team) and Id say could make some playoff noise. 

Did you reaally except them to be 13-4 this year? Look around the league/NFC, bunch of panther-like record for 20 some team. No super team.....best team right now is the Mac"motherfuging"Jones lead Pats..... Panthers beat the the next "best" team, awful year for many other teams. 

My point is that if you're bringing him back knowing you're almost certainly parting way with him in a year, then you're just wasting a year of the next rebuild. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

And we all hoped Tepper would bring that type of knowledge and system with him. Unfortunately, he thought he was smarter than everyone else and here we are.

The first thing he should have done was bring in a guy(or panel) of football guru’s he trusted to do a complete top down analysis of the team and cut all the fat. Now it looks like we’ll get that when Rhule is shown the door. 

So many of our issues could have been avoided. 

4 minutes ago, Tbe said:

They have generations of nfl ownership experience to pull  from.

So does Tepper. 

Instead he chose to rely on Marty Hurney as his advisor and took a flyer on a mid-tier college coach.

Time for Tepper to deploy the heavy artillery and bring in a successful former NFL executive to help guide him through the process of building a championship organization.

Marty Hurney and Matt Rhule ain't cutting it.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not certain Tepper even had a clue that Hurney was a bad GM until Rhule came along.

(for whatever else you can say about Rhule, we do at least have to thank him for that)

Does he get that Rhule is bad? Don't know. He fell for Rhule's bullsh-t when he hired him. Does he still believe it? Who can say?

I'll give him that he did fire Rivera. Here's hoping that same clarity applies to Matt Rhule.

I don't know what bullshit you are referring to but Rhule definitely had some success and was the hot coach at the time.  Dude went from 1-11 to 11-3 in 3 years in the big 12.  Hell in his last year he had a 10-4 record at Temple, an historically bad doormat.  To get a sense of how bad Temple is, they were 31-148 from 1990-2006.  I mean that is beyond pathetic.

Rhule may get better as an NFL coach over time, but he clearly is not ready now and I suspect Tepper sees that.  I imagine he will be let go at the end of the year.  But I don't question the roll of the dice that brought him here in the first place.  Its not like there were a bunch of sure things out there.  There were pros and cons for each guy interviewed.

But I think its time to move on.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

So does Tepper. 

Instead he chose to rely on Marty Hurney as his advisor and took a flyer on a mid-tier college coach.

Time for Tepper to deploy the heavy artillery and bring in a successful former NFL executive to help guide him through the process of building a championship organization.

Marty Hurney and Matt Rhule ain't cutting it.

I hear a lot of people say he was a mid-tier college coach.  I'm genuinely curious, how would you tier the college football conferences.

For me its..

Tier 1: SEC

Tier 2: Big 10, Big 12

Tier 3: Pac 12, ACC

Tier 4: everyone else

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

My point is that if you're bringing him back knowing you're almost certainly parting way with him in a year, then you're just wasting a year of the next rebuild. 

Being professional and using logic about the team he took over. Give him a real shot at his vision. Does a FULL rebuild only take 2 years now? Like rebuilding the QB(he has failed and still failed), OL, TE, DL, LB, CB, SS, STs etc etc. Like if your boss gives you a huge old strip mall and theres not a fully functioning deluxe condominium its place within 2 years, you stuck and should be fired?

What free unsigned HCs and staffs are out that you want? Doug Petterson has been tossed around, but Im meh at best.....theres no one I can think of were Im like" he is the one and can save this team". Goat Bill is going no where, dont want another college guru, andy reid loves KC BBQ, Macvay is in his heaven's land. No OCs or DCs out there worth a shot, maybe the dallas guy but my god hes soo young. So who do you got/want?

11 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I don't know what bullshit you are referring to but Rhule definitely had some success and was the hot coach at the time.  Dude went from 1-11 to 11-3 in 3 years in the big 12.  Hell in his last year he had a 10-4 record at Temple, an historically bad doormat.  To get a sense of how bad Temple is, they were 31-148 from 1990-2006.  I mean that is beyond pathetic.

Rhule may get better as an NFL coach over time, but he clearly is not ready now and I suspect Tepper sees that.  I imagine he will be let go at the end of the year.  But I don't question the roll of the dice that brought him here in the first place.  Its not like there were a bunch of sure things out there.  There were pros and cons for each guy interviewed.

But I think its time to move on.

For one, the bullsh-t that a guy who had only coached at places like Temple and Baylor (and hadn't even won so much as a conference championship at those places) deserved to have full control of an NFL operation.

Don't care how hot a coach anyone thought Rhule was at the time. That was one of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen, and that comes from someone who watched fifteen seasons of Marty Hurney running the team.

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

So are we going to replace the GM as well? Or is Tepper truly the one that hired him w/o Rhule.

Nah give Finesser and Dan Morgan the keys and see where they take it.....He was uber aggressive in the draft and trade deadlines stuff....I loved that. His free agents signes I hated......I was right it seems about them.....tho Id call it a push given Fox,Jones, and reddick saved the group. Elf has looked decent as a C too....Erv Im sure is already hurt again form stepping out of his car....