• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Maybe we just need a "triangle of toughness"

PanthersATL

Watched a bit of the college bowls yesterday, including the FRISCO BOWL between the San Diego State Aztecs vs the UTSA Roadrunners.

The Roadrunner's helmets had their logo on one side, and "210" on the other. I guessed that the 210 represented the San Antonio area code (which it does), but it's more than that.

It represents the most desired player numbers, "0", "1", and "2" - and only the toughest players on the team from camp would be awarded those numbers to play. They were the bedrock of the team, the ones who embody the toughness that their coach wanted to see in all their players.

Traylor first saw the concept used by current Carolina Panthers head coach Matt Rhule during his stints at the helm of the Temple and Baylor programs. I told my team, ’I don’t want the first time we face adversity to be out there on the football field.’ I need to create as much adversity as possible before the game gets here.”

Rhule certainly knows how to create as much adversity as possible, right?

https://www.ksat.com/sports/2020/09/03/repping-210-breaking-down-utsas-triangle-of-toughness/

Every player on an NFL roster was one of those triangle players for every team they have been on throughout their lives. Now they are here, with massive paychecks (even the vet minimum is pretty sweet for most folks in the real world). 

That creates a whole different dynamic and Rhule hasn't transitioned to this very well. Our team isn't tough, it's pretty soft, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe he should have 550 on the helmets, for "5 years, $50 million" since that seems to be what most players would kill to have.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, bigpoppa said:

Gimmicks like "triangle of toughness" and "DBO" make a coach look like a genious when they are winning. Right now, they just look like half ass tactics by a man that is in way over his head.

And see, thats exactly what they are - gimmicks.  And its why its not working in the NFL.  These are grown ass men that don't need some garbage college crap like this to get them motivated.  If you have a coach that loses your respect early, even if you don't intend to, you tune them out, quick, fast, and in a hurry...  and I'm pretty sure that happened here quite awhile ago.