• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could the Panthers beat Alabama?

Carl Spackler

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

Matt Rhule’s staff doesn’t have more sophisticated game planning and scheming vs Bama.   I agree with most NFL teams there would be a massive difference though.   It’s like if Bama’s staff all went to the pros….they suddenly don’t get a bump as more sophisticated because of the new job titles. 

that’s the main problem with our O.  Rhule’s staff can’t gameplan and scheme at this level IMO. 

Yeah, I was thinking more in terms of any generic NFL team as far as the scheme and gameplans.  As you correctly stated the Panthers are particularly bad at this.  In the hypothetical Alabama game there might be a few sophisticated plays thrown in that Rhule has learned from the pro game in the last 2 years but basically he runs a simple college scheme.  That's why the Panthers have appeared so overmatched week after week.  

5 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

Yeah, I was thinking more in terms of any generic NFL team as far as the scheme and gameplans.  As you correctly stated the Panthers are particularly bad at this.  In the hypothetical Alabama game there might be a few sophisticated plays thrown in that Rhule has learned from the pro game in the last 2 years but basically he runs a simple college scheme.  That's why the Panthers have appeared so overmatched week after week.  

And Saban has pro experience too.   So in a Bama/Panther matchup.  I’m taking Saban in terms of HCs. 

18 hours ago, beo said:

Yeah that was a thing for quite a long time. In the earliest days of pro football the high-end CFB teams actually were better than the NFL teams because Pro Football was still very niche and the income wasnt much different from a normal job, sometimes even less so earlier on so a lot of the top college players didn't end up playing pro.

This is a cool little tidbit that I think people either forget about or weren't aware of considering the NFL's current status as a behemoth towering over all other American sports.  Pro football was a curiosity and something of an experiment for the first few decades it was a thing.  Teams folded and merged all the time, the league would barnstorm across the country playing exhibition games for exposure, and that kind of thing. 

• Pie 2