• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Regarding Fitterer

Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Yeah, four years in, does Tepper really want to put his trust in a first year GM to find the Panthers next HC? 

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I'd be much more comfortable relying on the knowledge of a well regarded former NFL team executive, someone like Ozzie Newsome.  

Ozzie would have to say no to an awful lot of money if I’m Tepper. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think that's why Ed Dodds backed out of the process.

With Fitterer though, that's the environment he was coming from in Seattle.

There are two things relevant to me about last offseason...

First obviously is Rhule's influence, but the second is that for the majority of our free agent decisions, Dan Morgan wasn't here.

As mentioned before, Fitterer's primary expertise is college scouting. Morgan's is pro personnel.

I want to see how that combo works.

I understand. I hope you understand my reluctance about it.

Our pro personnel pick-ups during the season (definitely during Morgan's tenure) have been better than those before his arrival. Abdullah has been excellent. Gilmore has been as well. We've rotated through kickers like crazy, managing to get a decent one in Gonzalez and possibly one in Hajrullahu. And Edwards has been a good replacement for Charlton. That's probably more special teams flexing than most managers have to do in a season. 

Maybe Morgan is worth the salt, but I just keep looking at Fitt's choices brought before Rhule and think there's just a lot lacking in them, both draftees and vets. And let's face it, there's not another batch of Temple and Baylor guys out there to sift through again.

I'd be happy to retain Morgan, and if Fitt gets another season that's what it is, and it could be bearable without Rhule. 

But there's always that scary look-into-the-Abyss moment when we have to consider that we may roll into the 2022 season with the same staff in place across the board. Woof.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

How large a role did Fitterer have in deciding Panthers draft priorities, free agency and giving Robby his new contract?  That would be very helpful information when trying to determine his future w/the organization.  

I also have concerns about any GM candidate who would accept an offer knowing they'd be playing second fiddle to the HC.  It just doesn't seem like a situation highly sought after GM candidates would agree to. 

Another area of concern:  The Seahawks have been on a steady decline for several years now.  One of their biggest problems has been the offensive line.  Another problem is Seattle's bad habit of wasting valuable draft picks on trades that don't pan out.  When the Panthers were searching for someone talented enough to promote into their GM position, I'm not sure Seattle was the best place to look.

Finally, who hired Fitterer?  Was that Rhule's call?  A reason for concern as well/look at Matt's coaching staff.

All things considered, I'd reluctantly give Scott Fitterer the benefit of the doubt for now since we have so little to go on. 

The optimist in me says he could be a diamond in the rough. 

Its feels like this is becoming like the Sam vs Cam BS.

When Cam plays poor its the OL, WRs, TE, D, ST, coaches, and RB fault. 

When Sam plays poor, its Sam fault.

Honestly we do not know how much of the move, that draft pick, this player is Rhule vs Fitterer.... I do think Rhule has the 51% power. They both failed this year. period. 2022 will tell the tales for me. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

I do think/believe Rhule has the 51% power, maybe even a tad more. 

He actually has 100% power.

Now, he doesn't do all the scouting himself or anything like that, but the final decisions are all his.

Pretty sure that's why we extended Robby Anderson before DJ Moore.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

He actually has 100% power.

Now, he doesn't do all the scouting himself or anything like that, but the final decisions are all his.

Pretty sure that's why we extended Robby Anderson before DJ Moore.

I can not go that far.

Rhule is a big-time lair and all, but you remember his statements about GM duties. Along the lines of "I want nothing to with being a GM, im the HC and thats all" Rough year all around form the cotton candy guy to the HC Matt Rhule. 

14 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Its feels like this is becoming like the Sam vs Cam BS.

When Cam plays poor its the OL, WRs, TE, D, ST, coaches, and RB fault. 

When Sam plays poor, its Sam fault.

Honestly we do not know how much of the move, that draft pick, this player is Rhule vs Fitterer.... I do think Rhule has the 51% power. They both failed this year. period. 2022 will tell the tales for me. 

BS when Sam plays poor it’s because he panics and throws dumb dumb INTs like a highschooler. Cam has played and lead the team far better. He’s had two egregious INTs vs Sams 8+

Edited by OneBadCat

Just now, Basbear said:

I can not go that far.

Rhule is a big-time lair and all, but you remember his statements about GM duties. Along the lines of "I want nothing to with being a GM, im the HC and thats all" Rough year all around form the cotton candy guy to the HC Matt Rhule. 

He’s made plenty of statements to deflect criticism. There’s a reason Andrew Berry wouldn’t interview for the GM job a week after Rhule got hired. And no one else was interviewed after that. It’s also why it took so long to find one who would accept those terms this time. Last year, it was Hurney who made every bad move. We now see how that wasn’t true at all. 

Honestly, Rhule Fitterer and Samir are the first 3 out the door. 

6 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I can not go that far.

You're referring to the same guy who said he couldn't wait to work with Cam Newton?

Rhule said prior to taking an NFL job that he wanted the same kind of power Belichick has. He in fact stated that was what it would take to lure him to the NFL.

He doesn't do all the leg work, but he holds all the power (just like a lot of bosses do).

And seriously, do you really think one of Rhule's Temple guys getting an extension before a better player at the same position doesn't have Rhule's fingerprints on it?

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know there are some on here who want to keep him and some who don't. For clarity though, I would ask this question:

How many of you have ever been put on a group project in school or at work where the person in charge of the project was a dumbass?

Not much fun when your results are affected by the work of someone who doesn't have a clue, is it?

I've been there. I suspect you have too.

That particular dynamic is a big reason why I'd like to see what Fitterer and Morgan can do unencumbered by the incompetence of Matt Rhule.

Here's hoping we get that chance.

Does anyone else find it odd the GM they decide to fire picked out he new HC and the new GM had to inherit him? Is that not ass-backwards? Does that not affect getting he best candidates? Not sure how common this is seems weird.

Edited by onmyown