• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shocking passing statistics for the 2021 Panthers.

SCO96

20 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Competitive is what we occasionally are if the stars align and we stumble upon a qb by sucking really bad.

I want a team that is in the playoffs every damn season.  Don't you as a fan want more than the occasional competitive season? I certainly am sick and tired of the one hit wonders. 

So I see competitive as different from contending.  I think we were competitive most of Rivera's tenure in that we could threaten any team on a week to week basis, but only contenders in a couple seasons.  The way I see it, with the right coach and QB you can contend often...  Even a mediocre coach with a decent roster can keep a team competitive, but you need both the coach AND the QB to go from competitive to contending regularly imo.

So for instance a good coach could have made this team competitive, maybe even make the playoffs. But they'll need a star QB to really contend.

My one hope is Rhule's ineptitude, if kept for 2022, will grant us an opportunity for such a star QB.

Edited by mav1234

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

To be perennial contenders is the goal, obviously. We want to be in that top echelon of franchises. But, as you noted yourself, we're a ways from there. After this season, just being competitive seems like a premium, and we certainly have to meet the one standard before getting to the other. 

I mean, we have guys actually believing that Alabama can beat us, much less the Jags, Giants, Jets and Lions of the league. 

We got beat by a Giants team with third team receivers and RBs. The WFT game was almost as bad. Hell, we let a Falcons team beat us with third stringers and a TE. We let a dolphins team drag us with no RB and a rookie WR. There's no excuse. That speaks to coaching, not a lack of talent.

The coaches do not play the game. That so called talent doesn't have enough pride to play hard enough to prevent getting embarrassed on the field on Sunday.  There is zero fight in 90% of this team. That talent is only concerned with stat padding and paycheck collecting. That long standing culture within the organization will take a long time to purge. 

I'll have to agree to disagree on the state of the franchise. 

7 hours ago, SCO96 said:

Even with a poor oline, the offense shouldn't be this bad. I can't see things improving next year unless some drastic changes are made.

It's not just the poor offensive line. Joe Burrows has been working with arguably more pressure and yet the Bengals are winning their division. It's about scheme and ability -- both for the QB and receivers.

We have no scheme. Or at least one that isn't easily foiled by any non-mid conference college coach's game plan.

The o-line sucks, but we have coaching that can't work around it.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

The coaches do not play the game. That so called talent doesn't have enough pride to play hard enough to prevent getting embarrassed on the field on Sunday.  There is zero fight in 90% of this team. That talent is only concerned with stat padding and paycheck collecting. That long standing culture within the organization will take a long time to purge. 

I'll have to agree to disagree on the state of the franchise. 

That's fine. If the reports of keeping kingpin Rhule and the status quo intact, we'll likely never know whether I'm right because you'll likely appear right by default. Another year of this sh¡t and the franchise will likely be blown the hell up anyway. Whatever talent we have will be diluted or washed away maybe permanently. It's unfair for those youngsters that would've had more success with a better foundation at the beginning of their careers, but it is what it is. 

• Beer 1

This is who Matt Rhule has always been. Him and Snow can fix the defenses up and then they pray for league average offense and it usually takes until the third year to make it to league average. Joe Brady is going to get a job next year and look great and it’ll become clear that Rhule hurts his offenses. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, mav1234 said:

So I see competitive as different from contending.  I think we were competitive most of Rivera's tenure in that we could threaten any team on a week to week basis, but only contenders in a couple seasons.  The way I see it, with the right coach and QB you can contend often...  Even a mediocre coach with a decent roster can keep a team competitive, but you need both the coach AND the QB to go from competitive to contending regularly imo.

So for instance a good coach could have made this team competitive, maybe even make the playoffs. But they'll need a star QB to really contend.

My one hope is Rhule's ineptitude, if kept for 2022, will grant us an opportunity for such a star QB.

To be honest, I think we were quite competitive last year. Our 5-11  record looks terrible on paper but we had a legit chance to almost every game we played last season.

Eight of our 11 losses were by 8 pts or less in 2020. The reason why Teddy Bridgewater is gone is because his record in game winning drives in the 4th quarter was 0-8. The very fact that we had 8 chances to win or tie a game on our last drive of the game means we were competitive. Despite the poor record, I never got bored watching the games. I just felt a big letdown after we seemed to snatch defeat from the hands of victory almost every week.

I didn’t expect to make the playoffs in 2021. I thought we could get to 8-10 wins and knock on the post season door. Robbie and DJ both went over 1000 yds. I thought getting TMJ would give us even more pop in the passing game. Tremble should have given us another passing options and helped the run game with his blocking. Hubbard seemed to be a good pick as a backup/situation starter. I assumed out Oline picks would help improve the Oline performance. Darnold has almost thrown for 20 TDs twice in the past. I thought he would at least approach that number this year. Rhule would have another year of experience and a full offseason after the Covid disaster in 2020. So yeah, I admit that I expected a better team performance this season, even if we missed did end up missing the playoffs or finished below .500.

I didn’t expect the debacle this season. Not only are we going to have a fourth straight losing season, but he Panther offense is just painful to watch. This is one of the worst NFL offenses I’ve ever seen and I’ve been a regular NFL viewer since the late 1970s.

Edited by SCO96
  • Pie 1