• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kenny Pickett at 5/6

davos

26 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Nobody is going to think any of these QBs are a safer pick then some of the non-QBs in this draft.  That isn't the point.

QBs are almost never the safter pick, sooner or later you just have to gamble.  With that being said this might not be the year to gamble, or maybe by trading down you reduce the gamble somewhat by acquiring extra picks but people need to give up on this idea that a QB is going to be the BPA.

Unless you happen to have the 1st overall pick in a year there is a Luck or Lawrance type talent it just doesn't happen.

Wrong ... Tervour lawrance, Andrew Luck, Peyton manning and many others were thought as can't miss prospect.. Better then other prospects at other position.. Yes it happens... 

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Personally, I think we will try to build the OL in free agency and we will take Pickett.  Not sure how I feel about it. 

Don’t matter if we have a staff and coordinator calling 4 verts or zone sweep out of the shotgun every play

53 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Since 2015 (the only year I started from) tackles selected from the top half of the draft rarely bust.  Most at the basic level are productive starters.  Some are pro bowl and a few are all pro.  You can look it up yourself.   Top rated tackles are as good as gold

2015? that's convenient

2014 Greg Robinson

2013 Luke Joekel

2012 Matt Kalil

I do agree they are a lot safer than QBs, but lets don't act like they are sure things

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Wrong ... Tervour lawrance, Andrew Luck, Peyton manning and many others were thought as can't miss prospect.. Better then other prospects at other position.. Yes it happens... 

and they went first. hence the reason I said "unless you have the 1st overall pick"

25 minutes ago, BrianS said:

While I understand why people see Pickett as a flash in the pan, and it may be a valid argument, you also have to consider that the same thing could be said of Joe Burrow or Mac Jones.

Evaluate each QB "as is".  I haven't watched much of Pickett, and just because of the Rhule links I want to hate him . . . but I can't.  He has good anticipation, he can progess across the whole field, he keeps his eyes downfield under pressure, has good functional (though not exceptional) arm strength.  He's a decent prospect.

I'd feel better if we drafted him after getting rid of Rhule.

Mac jones Sophomore season  where he started half the season was 14tds and 2 ints .. Then he blew up next year .. That a path of progression you can see.. Not the same as Pickett..

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mac-jones-1.html

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

1. Cam .. Was productive at Blinn.. And a national championship..

2. Josh Allen .. Younger way more physical talent and 2 years of production.. He had a good year and a down year when he lost his surrounding cast.. Not the same situation 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-7.html

3. Kyler Murray- Younger way more talented only got 1 year to start.. And special situation was he got drafted by his college coach.. 

The most comparable situation is Burrows.. And again his situation isn't 1 the works out for the most part..

So the question is again .. Is Pickett really a prospect worth taking a risk strategy on that rarely works out..

if you're going to call Allen having 2 years of production, Pickett has multiple as well - they had the same number of total TDs in their 2nd most productive season, and Pickett played in 5 fewer games than Allen in that season (Allen's 2017 vs Pickett's 2020).  Keep in mind 2020 was also the covid year.

I already mentioned Cam's time at Blinn was discounted by many, tbh, understandably.  

I'm not saying the situations are the same (they def. aren't), but you seemed to be suggesting there was only 1 example of a guy with 1 productive year, and I'm just sharing that isn't true. Circumstances are definitely different, but my greater concern isn't with his productivity in college and more what his ultimate ceiling really is.

Well, that and the fact our coaches blow so couldn't develop him at all.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

and they went first. hence the reason I said "unless you have the 1st overall pick"

Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Deshaun Watson, Justin Herbert..

Weren't top overall picks in Good QB draft that were rated higher then other prospects in other position..

Mac jones Sophomore season  where he started half the season was 14tds and 2 ints .. Then he blew up next year .. That a path of progression you can see.. Not the same as Pickett..

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mac-jones-1.html

tbf Pickett has a pretty clear progression too.  His yards per game and TD% increased pretty much every year and if last season had been 12-13 game we'd be looking at ~3500 yards and ~18-20 passing TDs, plus the rushing TDs he had (he had 8 in 9 games last year)... so while not a great season it is a step up from the previous year by quite a bit.

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Deshaun Watson, Justin Herbert..

Weren't top overall picks in Good QB draft that were rated higher then other prospects in other position..

Lance and Herbert were 100% not considered surefire prospects tho.  They were both risks.

I don't recall Watson well enough to say.

Wilson was the 2nd overall and would have gone first probably in a non-Lawrence draft.

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

if you're going to call Allen having 2 years of production, Pickett has multiple as well - they had the same number of total TDs in their 2nd most productive season, and Pickett played in 5 fewer games than Allen in that season (Allen's 2017 vs Pickett's 2020).  Keep in mind 2020 was also the covid year.

I already mentioned Cam's time at Blinn was discounted by many, tbh, understandably.  

I'm not saying the situations are the same (they def. aren't), but you seemed to be suggesting there was only 1 example of a guy with 1 productive year, and I'm just sharing that isn't true. Circumstances are definitely different, but my greater concern isn't with his productivity in college and more what his ultimate ceiling really is.

Well, that and the fact our coaches blow so couldn't develop him at all.

2 years of production.. And look at the numbers .. 1st good year was 28-15with 7 rushing td. 

His down year after that was  less games played 16 -6 and 5 rushing tds..

Now compare that to Picketts 1st 4 season.. Is it the same situation..

Trade down and draft this guy.   No one will work harder and he has the talent.  Get some picks back by trading down.   I wouldn’t draft any QB at 5 or 6 this year especially with the holes on the offensive line.   

This pic is from my bar Graham St after the panthers last home game.  Sam came to the game with Drake Maye and others and then brought some of the offensive line to Graham.   Sam was a big Panthers fan I know back in the day….not sure anymore but that doesn’t matter.    I’m friends with him and for his sake I want him to go to Steelers or somewhere with a better coach and offensive line. 

91D315BA-A64B-4993-914D-460ED6FAAB3D.jpeg

Edited by slumdogmillionaire
  • Pie 2

2 years of production.. And look at the numbers .. 1st good year was 28-15with 7 rushing td. 

His down year after that was  less games played 16 -6 and 5 rushing tds..

Now compare that to Picketts 1st 4 season.. Is it the same situation..

Pickett had 21 tds in 9 games in 2020 (his 2nd best season) vs Allen's 21 tds in 11 games (his 2nd best). He averaged ~100 more yards in the air per game than Allen too.  Allen took care of the ball a little better in his second best season but not by a ton (keep in mind Allen threw the ball far less than Pickett).  As physical prospects they aren't at all comparable, but in terms of lack of multi-year high-level production they certainly are.

Edited by mav1234

3 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

tbf Pickett has a pretty clear progression too.  His yards per game and TD% increased pretty much every year and if last season had been 12-13 game we'd be looking at ~3500 yards and ~18-20 passing TDs, plus the rushing TDs he had (he had 8 in 9 games last year)... so while not a great season it is a step up from the previous year by quite a bit.

Lance and Herbert were 100% not considered surefire prospects tho.  They were both risks.

I don't recall Watson well enough to say.

Wilson was the 2nd overall and would have gone first probably in a non-Lawrence draft.

Even with Wilson being rated that high you could make the arguemetn that Pitts, Chase, or Sewell had higher higher grades and were "safer" picks.

QBs are very rarely the safest pick at any point in any draft.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

No idea what happens right now. I know if this crew picks a QB I have zero faith we won't be looking for another one when they are finally fired. Hell that might he true for the oline picks also. 

I could definitely see it being a Rosen -> Murray situation. Would be deeply unfair for the QB chosen here. Rhule will be gone by Thanksgiving imo

• Beer 1