• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Audio: Joe Person interview (Fox Sports Upstate)

ellis

I just don't see how bringing Watson here helps us win? You lose 4 first round picks, our only weapon: CMC, and have no money in FA to spend because Watson will take out the rest of our cap and more..... Also, do we trust this coaching staff to be better than Bill Obrien? I certainly haven't seen this "process." AND this oline........SMH

Edited by Jared Patterson

1 minute ago, Jared Patterson said:

Remember when it was polled around Charlotte and it turned out the people would rather not have Watson here? I was rather shocked, but I agree with that too. The moral aspect here is big for Tepper as well and again I think its the wrong decision. Not to mention what's Tepper going to do when Watson straight up tells him he doesn't want to be here and play for Matt Rhule and this Oline. It would just be like how it was for him on the Texans:  A crappy oline, no draft picks, a college coach AND Watson would also wipe out the rest of our cap space AND we would be minus our only weapon Mcaffery. Why on this earth would he want that again? AND he has a no trade clause..... Its a lose-lose both ways and pathetic if that's our Plan A. (Does sound like something a snake oil like Rhule would be trying to sell him rn)

Again, this goes back to what Joe said today on the radio with us. It’s been pretty consistent with his reporting on Watson, but this was a fairly definitive statement, in terms of the team still having a high level of interest in his services.

I certainly can’t speak for the team, or the owner, or anybody else involved. But people I talk to independent of Joe’s reporting seem to agree with that vibe. I’m not sure if they will go the distance with it, but it’s a phone call they’re likely going to make. 

I was a bit surprised by Joe’s info on Sam today. I had not heard any reporting that indicated Darnold was on the type of thin ice that Teddy was this time last year. That’s what Joe told me today on air. Again, maybe that’s something that was put out there a few days ago, and I missed it. I think we were all working under the assumption that Darnold was locked in with that fifth year, and playing him late in the season was as much about getting him prepared for being the starter next year as anything.

They’re going to have to find a trade partner, or do an Osweiler-type of deal to dump his contract. Otherwise, he could end up being the highest paid backup in the league here. 

I really feel like what caused Teddy to be on such thin ice was throwing the staff under the bus on that play where he missed DJ wide open in the endzone saying they got the play call in late so that he couldn't check to a run. 😂

I really feel like what has caused Darnold to be on such thin ice is because holy poo, he's TERRIBLE.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I really feel like what caused Teddy to be on such thin ice was throwing the staff under the bus on that play where he missed DJ wide open in the endzone saying they got the play call in late so that he couldn't check to a run. 😂

I really feel like what has caused Darnold to be on such thin ice is because holy poo, he's TERRIBLE.

Agreed, so why does he get the chance to do this to our team again? It doesnt make sense. 

Thanks again for letting me share some content here. I don’t post as much on boards these days, but it was fun to mix it up with you guys. We should have some more guests coming up next week, and a new podcast on Monday or Tuesday. I’ll keep you guys posted, and hope y’all have a great weekend. 

Should be an interesting few days coming up. Y’all have a great night.

• Pie 4

7 minutes ago, ellis said:

Agreed. It just feels like a more competitive market right now, with the issues you mentioned above being the key driver.  

There are several factors, and I’m sure each of those guys have their own criteria, but one common thread would be the head coach. I could see either of those three guys being comfortable playing for Tomlin, or Sean Payton, or even Brian Flores. Stefanski, as well, if they decide to get into this. Until he proves otherwise, I don’t see Matt in that class. So, once again, you put yourself at a competitive disadvantage: not only on the field, but in terms of recruitment at the NFL level.

To be clear, I don’t think people around the league dislike Matt. I really don’t think people in that locker room do either. It’s not about “hate”, it’s about trust. Those guys are aiming for championships + streamlined efficiency in terms of offensive systems and schematics. Carolina has a fairly significant disadvantage there.

Appreciate your input.. Cleveland came to mind too.. they have the players but Mayfield is so erratic!! We were all excited for this year and Rhule .. hell I went to training camp to see the new staff this year since we couldn’t his first year!! We started out positive and whamo it went flat.. it’s like they couldn’t figure out how to adjust!!! Not like I need say what we all saw!! I just don’t think he can handle the NFL.. I am still trying to understand why we hired him .. Baylor doing better now he’s not there!! Hmm .. is it his recruiting skills or cuz he’s gone!?? 😜

I just think our media in Charlotte has accepted mediocrity for so long that we just go along with it. We get excited for moves such as Bridgewater/Darnold when at the end of the day how far are you really going to go with these type of guys?. The local media is not in tuned with the local fans here. Our fans are finally starting to wake up.  I don't know about you guys, but I am sick of mediocrity.

14 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

I just think our media in Charlotte has accepted mediocrity for so long that they just go along with it. We get excited for moves such as Bridgewater/Darnold when at the end of the day how far are you really going to go with these type of guys?. The local media is not in tuned with the local fans here. Our fans are finally starting to wake up.  I don't know about you guys, but I am sick of mediocrity.

Last thing before I head out: I do agree, when you go back a few years, there was a general sense of complacency in terms of digging deep on the reporting side. To be fair, I do think part of that was do to some of the oversight involved. Legend has it that gantt  ran into some issues with ownership, and I think the world of his reporting.

I mean this sincerely, I think it’s as good as it’s been for a while, in terms of coverage. Joe is much more free to do his thing since leaving the CO. Big fan of Jon Alexander and Ellis Williams. I think Sheena Quick and Vashti Hurt do a great job—a good pod, too. Josh Klein is very good. Nick Carboni is a good friend, and he’s always fair and direct. Hell, I know it’s not everybody’s cup of tea, but most of the guys at FNZ have been terrific this year in terms of dialing up the heat when it’s been warranted.  

I’m down here in Greenville, South Carolina, so I’m not overly interested in being on the beat. Not sure if I’m even qualified to do it LOL. But I have several platforms that give me an opportunity to provide commentary, and having access to game film gives me the opportunity to provide analysis. To a degree, keeping a distance from that inner circle allows you to be more free with your analysis. Jeremy and I talked about this a little bit at camp, when we met back in August. We talked about the frustrations involved in terms of access. Not easy getting in the door, and when you do, it’s hard to operate. Particularly for a guy like Jeremy, in terms of visuals.

I’ve been following this team since 95. Was a diehard fan for many years, and passed the torch to my sons a couple of years ago when I started these projects. But I truly want to see fans enjoy the product again, and it’s always more fun covering this team when the product is good. 

Again, just my two cents. I know folks get frustrated with some reporters, and I know a lot of people get frustrated with me LOL. I do think most people in that room, in those press conferences, are doing the best they can to keep Matt and others honest. 

Thanks again for letting me rant. Hopefully, the team can show some positive signs from some young guys on Sunday.

Edited by ellis
  • Pie 3

1 hour ago, Jared Patterson said:

Ellis,

I loved the interview and likely this is out of line for me to ask, but I do wish you guys would ask questions like the lady or gentlemen said earlier in the thread about it basically sounding like Joe Person is saying our Plan A is to trade our franchise player who is great for our community and all our future picks for a QB with horrific accusations and to keep a college coach with an awful record, no staff member having NFL experience and a yes man GM. This sounds awful and we really may become a complete dumpster fire. What free agents will want to come play here? Heck, Watson already said he has no interest. Im at a loss for words.....

We can’t trade CMC people, Panthers started this report to take heat off of Matt Fhule.

6 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

We can’t trade CMC people, Panthers started this report to take heat off of Matt Fhule.

Yeah, and even Joe didn’t really say he was on the block. I think he said they would be receptive to taking phone calls. The contract is really prohibitive, and McCaffrey doesn’t exactly inspire a ton of suitors at this point, at least for the value Carolina would seek. Would he be part of a potential blockbuster trade? I mean, anything is possible. It would be great to get to a point where Carolina could settle down a little bit, build a core traditionally and with a little less chaos. We’ll see what happens.

48 minutes ago, ellis said:

Again, this goes back to what Joe said today on the radio with us. It’s been pretty consistent with his reporting on Watson, but this was a fairly definitive statement, in terms of the team still having a high level of interest in his services.

I certainly can’t speak for the team, or the owner, or anybody else involved. But people I talk to independent of Joe’s reporting seem to agree with that vibe. I’m not sure if they will go the distance with it, but it’s a phone call they’re likely going to make. 

I was a bit surprised by Joe’s info on Sam today. I had not heard any reporting that indicated Darnold was on the type of thin ice that Teddy was this time last year. That’s what Joe told me today on air. Again, maybe that’s something that was put out there a few days ago, and I missed it. I think we were all working under the assumption that Darnold was locked in with that fifth year, and playing him late in the season was as much about getting him prepared for being the starter next year as anything.

They’re going to have to find a trade partner, or do an Osweiler-type of deal to dump his contract. Otherwise, he could end up being the highest paid backup in the league here. 

They won’t find nobody he will be starting next year and we’ll have some crappy backup plus PJ.  Panther fans need to get ready for maybe a 2-3 win season next year.