• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Audio: Joe Person interview (Fox Sports Upstate)

ellis

Happy Friday friends. Hope all is well. 

As promised, Joe Person stopped by the show today and recapped his recent article from The Athletic

Interesting insight on how that article came together + detailed analysis on Sam Darnold’s future here + thoughts on the coaching staff + potential veteran quarterbacks Carolina will keep an eye on.  

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can see it now. Rhule's final parting gift. We trade three 1sts and CMC for Deshaun Watson who trashes his knee again playing behind another trash Rhule OL leaving us absolutely gutted of draft capital for years to come and damaged goods at QB.

Or he just calls up a hooker or two for a celebratory massage and well, that's all she wrote for his career.

The only thing dumber than Deshaun Watson is trading for him.

Let him go to Las Vegas where the hookers are legal.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can see it now. Rhule's final parting gift. We trade three 1sts and CMC for Deshaun Watson who trashes his knee again playing behind another trash Rhule OL leaving us absolutely gutted of draft capital for years to come and damaged goods at QB.

Oof, I'd face palm myself into oblivion if we pull some poo like that. Which sadly that wouldn't even be hard to believe them doing either. Not going to lie, seeing that might be the one thing that would make me stop watching the team since even an infant can see how much we need to fix this OLine.

Take it for what it’s worth, but Joe was pretty adamant that the team has soured a bit on Sam, much like they did on Teddy. He thinks Matt is likely coming back, and I’ve heard the same. But it’s going to get very interesting in terms of what changes they make on their staff, and how aggressive they get in pursuit of Watson, and potentially Wilson.

• Pie 4

A few final thoughts: 

Tepper is reasonably involved in terms of high-level football elements. He’s not necessarily in the weeds, interfering with scouting + day-to-day eval. But he has been adamant for quite a while about landing somebody like Watson.

Darnold was very much their third option last year, as Stafford ended up choosing LA, and Watson‘s legal stuff became an obstacle. Joe outlined that in the interview, but even beyond Joe, I’m hearing from a few people around league that this is going to be an interesting couple of months in terms of Carolina dipping back into the Watson market, assuming his legal issues clear up.

I’m not sure how you guys feel about that from a moral perspective, but there will certainly be plenty of discussion about it.

Finally, as Joe pointed out, Watson has to want to be here, and I have serious questions about his desire to come here. The situation is far from ideal. 

Edited by ellis
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, ellis said:

Take it for what it’s worth, but Joe was pretty adamant that the team has soured a bit on Sam, much like they did on Teddy. He thinks Matt is likely coming back, and I’ve heard the same. But it’s going to get very interesting in terms of what changes they make on their staff, and how aggressive they get in pursuit of Watson, and potentially Wilson.

Wilson said he isn’t thinking about leaving, and with so many teams needing qbs now don’t see us getting Watson. Plus salary cap is going up and will how more teams into the mix. Hell we can’t get rid of Sam so we stuck with him being a backup for 18 mil, I mean what does Joe really think we can do. I don’t see anything changing imo

4 minutes ago, ellis said:

A few final thoughts: 

Tepper is reasonably involved in terms of high-level football elements. He’s not necessarily in the weeds, interfering with scouting + day-to-day eval. But he has been adamant for quite a while about landing somebody like Watson.

Darnold was very much their third option last year, as Stafford ended up choosing LA, and Watson‘s legal stuff became an obstacle. Joe outlined that in the interview, but even beyond Joe, I’m hearing from a few people around league that this is going to be an interesting couple of months in terms of Carolina dipping back into the Watson market, assuming his legal issues clear up.

I’m not sure how you guys feel about that from a moral perspective, but there will certainly be plenty of discussion about it.

Finally, as Joe pointed out, Watson hast to want to be here, and I have serious questions about his desire to come here. The situation is far from ideal. 

So Tepper’s plan is to get Watson, keep Rhule and then hope everything will be ok. This guy is really more of an idiot than I thought.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, BurnNChinn said:

Wilson said he isn’t thinking about leaving, and with so many teams needing qbs now don’t see us getting Watson. Plus salary cap is going up and will how more teams into the mix. Hell we can’t get rid of Sam so we stuck with him being a backup for 18 mil, I mean what does Joe really think we can do. I don’t see anything changing imo

I don’t think Joe was suggesting they have the resources to make a Watson trade. In fact, he sort of pointed that out in the interview. But you’re right. It might feel like they have a lot of cap wiggle, but when you start sizing up some of their other needs, including retaining some core guys, making sure you have enough in the pot to pay your upcoming rookies… It’s not as much wiggle room as it might seem. 

But as Joe said, the team is still very much interested in Watson, and I’m sure you’ll see reporting to reflect that in the coming weeks

2 minutes ago, ellis said:

I don’t think Joe was suggesting they have the resources to make a Watson trade. In fact, he sort of pointed that out in the interview. But you’re right. It might feel like they have a lot of cap wiggle, but when you start sizing up some of their other needs, including retaining some core guys, making sure you have enough in the pot to pay your upcoming rookies… It’s not as much wiggle room as it might seem. 

But as Joe said, the team is still very much interested in Watson, and I’m sure you’ll see reporting to reflect that in the coming weeks

Yeah I think Wilson would be a lot cheaper. But neither will want to come here, Tepper is going to have a hard time fielding a competitive team with Fhule as coach. We won’t get any good FAs because no one wants to come here that’s including new coaches. Which is why I don’t understand why u keep him just to say hey I can fire him at anytime next year. What is that saying to ur fans, which I think Tepper could care less for. He is more worried about his little soccer fans.

10 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

So Tepper’s plan is to get Watson, keep Rhule and then hope everything will be ok. This guy is really more of an idiot than I thought.

I made this point the other night on Twitter. In retaining Matt, what is your strategic edge? Even if you land Watson. Even if you hire a couple of competent veteran coaches to run the OL and call plays. Even after all of that, does Matt become better at what he does at his core? The win total likely improves, but to those who feel he’s overmatched on the NFL level, I’m sure they would argue that the root problem still hasn’t been dealt with. 

Last point: when it comes to staffing, keep your eye on some potential friction. Matt will likely be asked/told to move a couple of offensive assistants out. No guarantee there, but that’s the sense I get.

From there, what is Matt’s comfort zone? Can he find a viable, NFL proven coordinator to own to O? Perhaps a new OL coach, too. Might not hurt to have a former NFL head coach on staff, something Ron eventually did, and something Matt talked about wanting to do when he was hired. That would require him to fish outside of the Temple/Baylor pond.

On the flipside, how attractive is this OC job with Matt firing Joe as early as he did, Matt meddling in the O as much as he does, and Sam Darnold staring you right in the face?

Edited by ellis
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Yeah I think Wilson would be a lot cheaper. But neither will want to come here, Tepper is going to have a hard time fielding a competitive team with Fhule as coach. We won’t get any good FAs because no one wants to come here that’s including new coaches. Which is why I don’t understand why u keep him just to say hey I can fire him at anytime next year. What is that saying to ur fans, which I think Tepper could care less for. He is more worried about his little soccer fans.

I think that’s the biggest obstacle: do Wilson/Watson/Rogers even consider Carolina? At the moment, no disrespect intended, I don’t see it.

• Beer 1

The fact that the team won’t give up on Watson makes me want to give up on the team entirely. Maybe I’ll just stop watching until Tepper moves the team to Austin or some poo like that. 

Seems like we have a shithead of an owner who doesn’t really value human beings. it doesn’t make football sense and it definitely doesn’t make PR sense. 

Even getting Watson for a ham sandwich doesn’t jive. 

• Pie 2