• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OC Targets: O’Brien, Jay Gruden

BIGH2001

20 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think it will be Gruden.

Didn’t he just come out unprovoked, stating Washington should have never dropped the name “Redskins”? Regardless of ur thoughts on the matter, not necessarily the smartest thing to be saying to the media. Creating problems for himself for no reason.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So our targets are a guy who's unemployed, a college OC and a guy who's already an NFL OC on a much better team...

What?  Jay Gruden would be a great hire.  Not sure what him being unemployed matters.  Plenty of coaches end up taking a year off off, especially when they get purged from a coaching staff due to a new HC hire.

Not a fan of Rhule, but Gruden would definitely be a good get for us.  He coached some very good offenses in Cincinnati and Washington, and you could point to both Dalton and Cousins as guys he got the best out of (and there was only so much you were getting out of Dalton).

Quite frankly I don't understand how anyone could hate on the idea of Gruden being our OC, unless they are trying to be negative for the sake of being negative.  He is certainly one of the best, established OCs available.  Even Minshew under him finished with 16 TDs/5 INTs and a 95 QB Rate in 2020.  The overall offense sucked but its the Jaguars.

Gruden on the sidelines would also give us someone with more NFL coaching experience and hopefully alleviate some of the gameday pressure off of Rhule.  And no, this is not me saying I want Rhule back, but if he's going to come back, then we need to give him the best chance to succeed.  Gruden would be a good hire in that regard. 

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

57 minutes ago, frankw said:

We're going to have to overpay to get any coordinators with head coaching experience here and that's if they want to deal with fixing this mess which isn't very likely.

well thank god tepper has deep pockets for ten year coaching deals.

1 minute ago, Mage said:

What?  Jay Gruden would be a great hire.  Not sure what him being unemployed matters.  Plenty of coaches end up taking a year off off, especially when they get purged from a coaching staff due to a new HC hire.

Not a fan of Rhule, but Gruden would definitely be a good get for us.  He coached some very good offenses in Cincinnati and Washington, and you could point to both Dalton and Cousins as guys he got the best out of (and there was only so much you were getting out of Dalton).

Quite frankly I don't understand how anyone could hate on the idea of Gruden being our OC, unless they are trying to be negative for the sake of being negative.  He is certainly one of the best, established OCs available.  Even Minshew under him finished with 16 TDs/5 INTs and a 95 QB Rate in 2020.  The overall offense sucked but its the Jaguars.

It's not so much a commentary on Gruden as it is a question of where we're looking.

(see the second paragraph)

5 minutes ago, Reebis21 said:

Didn’t he just come out unprovoked, stating Washington should have never dropped the name “Redskins”? Regardless of ur thoughts on the matter, not necessarily the smartest thing to be saying to the media. Creating problems for himself for no reason.

Who cares what the media thinks ? They get to spew their stupid thoughts and feelings at us all the time. I don’t care for Jay , but he’s entitled to his opinion.

Edited by ickmule
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Also while yes, Kevin O'Connell would technically be a lateral move for him, he doesn't call the plays in LA due to McVay's presence.  That would be the incentive for him to leave the Rams and come here.  So suggesting we aren't targeting an "up-and-comer", when we clearly are, seems intentionally disingenuous.

I love the idea of bringing in someone who's learned under another great offensive mastermind.  But, again, I do think adding someone with HC-experience helps Rhule a lot.  So that would be the biggest slight against O'Connell in the context of this current coaching staff, which needs more pro experience. 

1 hour ago, Verge said:

Clown franchise atm

59 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

This is a key point and something that again this shortsighted organization has lost sight of. Lame duck stuff = very shallow pool of willing coaches or free agents.

30 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

Yep. This is coming from above Rhule. My guess is Tepper is going to have to throw mega bucks at a coordinator to get them to work here under Rhule due to him most likely being a being a lame duck coach. 

Where is all the lame duck talk coming from? I've seen nothing that indicates Tepper will ditch Rhule, who is in over his head, next season or pay him to sit at home.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not so much a commentary on Gruden as it is a question of where we're looking.

(see the second paragraph)

Kevin O'Connell is a rising coach though.  And he doesn't call the plays in LA.  He has every incentive to coordinate somewhere else.  Maybe you are right and he doesn't want to come here, but he certainly increases his chances of becoming a head coach if he goes somewhere and calls plays, rather than just being an OC in name only.  And he's only 36.

Edited by Mage

19 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Tepper will bump their salary plus they know if Rhule fails again they are taking over mid season

I think that is wishful thinking. Nothing Tepper has done or said shows that he'll fire Rhule midseason or even at the end of this one. I'm afraid the Panthers are stuck with Rhule for at least the majority of his contract, which means at least 4 seasons of him.

1 minute ago, Mage said:

Kevin O'Connell [I]is[/I] a rising coach though.  And he doesn't call the plays in LA.  He has every incentive to coordinate somewhere else.  Maybe you are right and he doesn't want to come here, but he certainly increases his chances of becoming a head coach if he goes somewhere and calls plays, rather than just being an OC in name only.  And he's only 36.

I'm not so sure going from the Rams to the Panthers increases anybody's chances of getting a head coaching job (other than maybe this one).

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

I think that is wishful thinking. Nothing Tepper has done or said shows that he'll fire Rhule midseason or even at the end of this one. I'm afraid the Panthers are stuck with Rhule for at least the majority of his contract, which means at least 4 seasons of him.

Nah.  We'd definitely fire him if we failed again next season, barring miraculous circumstances. 

And this isn't me just trying to be optimistic for the sake of optimism.  But there is no way Rhule would survive a 2nd season of this level of criticism and hate.  

2 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Translation: David Tepper really is that stupid.

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

Where is all the lame duck talk coming from? I've seen nothing that indicates Tepper will ditch Rhule, who is in over his head, next season or pay him to sit at home.

Tepper was sold hook line and sinker by Rhule and he’s still unable to spit out the hook even after these last 2 years of ineptitude.  I didn’t like the idea of Tepper as owner from the very mention of it being a possibility and he has done  note one thing to make me feel he should have been the choice. I’d say the stands will be as empty as we’ve ever seen them next season.