• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OC Targets: O’Brien, Jay Gruden

BIGH2001

1 minute ago, Mage said:

Nah.  We'd definitely fire him if we failed again next season, barring miraculous circumstances. 

And this isn't me just trying to be optimistic for the sake of optimism.  But there is no way Rhule would survive a 2nd season of this level of criticism and hate.  

Watson or Howell as QB would appease their school fanboys and the "gotta have a QB at all costs" guys enough to buy another season.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not so sure going from the Rams to the Panthers increases anybody's chances of getting a head coaching job (other than maybe this one).

Okay? 

At the end of the day you tried to state that we weren't targeting up-and-coming coaches.  When we clearly are targeting an up-and-coming coach. Are you now suggesting we shouldn't be targeting people like O'Connell, because they won't want to come here?  And if so, then why imply that us not targeting rising coaches (even though O'Connell is one) is a bad thing?

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.  

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Where is all the lame duck talk coming from? I've seen nothing that indicates Tepper will ditch Rhule, who is in over his head, next season or pay him to sit at home.

With the trajectory of the team there has been a lot of discussion in the media on whether or not Rhule should/will be fired. There is lots of criticism about how the OL and QB situations have been handled. Next year is most likely a make-it or break-it year...maybe not exactly a Lame Duck..but lot of folks probably see it that way.

How 'Lame Duck' Flew From the Stock Market to Politics - WSJ

4 minutes ago, ickmule said:

Tepper was sold hook line and sinker by Rhule and he’s still unable to spit out the hook even after these last 2 years of ineptitude.  I didn’t like the idea of Tepper as owner from the very mention of it being a possibility and he has done  note one thing to make me feel he should have been the choice. I’d say the stands will be as empty as we’ve ever seen them next season. 

The NFL wanting Tepper in the old boys' club at all costs wasn't a good sign. I don't know if Tepper will care if the stands or empty or filled with opposing fans. Opposing fans means he's making money. Empty stands may make him start looking at moving the team so he can get his new stadium.

1 minute ago, Michael G said:

With the trajectory of the team there has been a lot of discussion in the media on whether or not Rhule should/will be fired. There is lots of criticism about how the OL and QB situations have been handled. Next year is most likely a make-it or break-it year...maybe not exactly a Lame Duck..but lot of folks probably see it that way.

How 'Lame Duck' Flew From the Stock Market to Politics - WSJ

Media conjecture and fan talk doesn't matter when it comes to Rhule. The only opinion that does is Tepper's and he seems happy enough with his coach.🙄

Just now, jayboogieman said:

The NFL wanting Tepper in the old boys' club at all costs wasn't a good sign. I don't know if Tepper will care if the stands or empty or filled with opposing fans. Opposing fans means he's making money. Empty stands may make him start looking at moving the team so he can get his new stadium.

100% Agree and I’m at the point that I don’t care if he moves them. He will never field a successful team and I’m not interested in the product that he has given us.  Keeping Rhule is just prolonging the inevitable. It’s apparent Tepper has zero ability to read the pulse of that around him.  

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

14 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I think that is wishful thinking. Nothing Tepper has done or said shows that he'll fire Rhule midseason or even at the end of this one. I'm afraid the Panthers are stuck with Rhule for at least the majority of his contract, which means at least 4 seasons of him.

I hope it’s not 4 years. From what I read he was promised a 3 year minimum. Unless they show huge progress next year, I think it’s his final season. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Watson or Howell as QB would appease their school fanboys and the "gotta have a QB at all costs" guys enough to buy another season.

Watson won’t come here, plus he brings a lot of bad PR (rightfully so) to a sinking ship. We are in an awkward spot for Howell unless we trade down. 

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Watson won’t come here, plus he brings a lot of bad PR (rightfully so) to a sinking ship. We are in an awkward spot for Howell unless we trade down. 

You saw the Watson threads here. There are a lot of guys that don't care and want to win at all costs. Plus the Clemson fanboys.

If they're set on drafting a QB, Howell or otherwise, they won't risk trading down.