• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Overtime Rules

Mr. Scot

IMaybe playoff game overtime should be a full quarter.

Youtube the 1971 Christmas Day playoff game , KC vs Miami . It was like 2 extra quarters plus minutes in a 3rd quarter.

Back then defenses ruled. They’ve changed rules to help the offense so much that good teams can do what we watched this weekend.

58 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

If that game disappointed you then you're hard to please.

I wouldn't die on a hill denying that, doesn't change that I dislike how the end played out.  I just don't like that a playoff game can end on one OT possession (be it a TD now or a FG 13 years ago), never have, never likely will.

• Beer 1

Just now, Shotgun said:

Why choose the coin toss then?

I'm not sure where you are going with this but it's the rules. The way this game was going the last team to possessed the ball (win the coin toss) was going to win the game based on the current rules.  I for one wanted it to continue until the outcome was determined by the qb play and not a game of chance.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not sure where you are going with this but it's the rules. The way this game was going the last team to possessed the ball (win the coin toss) was going to win the game based on the current rules.  I for one wanted it to continue until the outcome was determined by the qb play and not a game of chance.

I think what Shotgun is saying is is that their is no difference between choosing any other play that contributed to the outcome and saying that is the reason the Bills lost or saying the coin toss is the reason.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

The bills had plenty of opportunities to win but they made terrible decisions at the end of regulation. The rules allowed them to squib kick and run time off the clock, they chose not to and lost.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

The bills had plenty of opportunities to win but they made terrible decisions at the end of regulation. The rules allowed them to squib kick and run time off the clock, they chose not to and lost.

So did the Chiefs. They had plenty of opportunities to put the Bills away but they had to pull off a miracle to even tie the game. What's your point?  It cuts both ways. They pulled off a miracle and won the game of chance.

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

So did the Chiefs. They had plenty of opportunities to put the Bills away but they had to pull off a miracle to even tie the game. What's your point?  It cuts both ways. They pulled off a miracle and won the game of chance.

Read Wyank's post.

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

Read Wyank's post.

I did and you both still are focusing on one play.

You mean to tell that if the Bills had won the coin toss that the Chief's still would have won the game?  Look I had no interest in which team won. But you are kidding yourself if you think that the coin toss didn't ultimately decide the outcome of this game. 

Both teams had four quarters.

The game ended in a tie.

That's why you have overtime, and it's why the "well, they should have stopped them during regulation" argument is silly.

The question is what you do after the game ends in a tie. And at least for the playoffs, where the game can't end in a tie and double overtime is a possibility (Panther fans of all people should know that) it makes way more sense to ensure that both teams have a shot.

• Pie 1