• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN sim: Cam re-signs for 1 yr, Pickett #6

MechaZain

ESPN's beat writers simulated the offseason amongst each other and hometown hero David Newton played Carolina's GM. After unsuccessful offers for Wilson and Garoppolo we re-sign Cam as veteran competion for 1yr/$5m and draft Pickett with the #6. 

“Keeping Darnold wasn’t really a decision, since the Panthers picked up his fifth-year option after trading for him last year,” David Newton writes. “So Carolina is stuck with that $18.9M cap hit in 2022. Ideally, we would have traded for Russell Wilson or maybe even Jimmy Garoppolo, but the team doesn’t have the draft capital to do it — in part because of the Darnold trade. If Deshaun Watson’s legal situation becomes clearer, Carolina could still be in the mix there, and this deal doesn’t change anything. Newton provides veteran competition for us at a low risk. And the door is still open to look at quarterback options in the draft.”

The fanbase will erupt if we reach for Rhule's guy so I can certainly see them trying to bring Cam back for morale again if that happens. 

Edited by MechaZain
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Growl said:

He’s the #1 ranked QB on the board, reality is that most of the fanbase is going to get excited about that outside of this forum where you have a bunch of edge lord  weirdos Omani overvalue offensive linemen because they don’t see the way the game is trending 

I’ll be upset only if Malik is still on the board and we choose this Teddy 2.0 qb over him. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, Growl said:

He’s the #1 ranked QB on the board, reality is that most of the fanbase is going to get excited about that outside of this forum where you have a bunch of edge lord  weirdos Omani overvalue offensive linemen because they don’t see the way the game is trending 

If Kenny Pickett is the best QB on the board, then we do not need to be drafting a QB in the 1st.

And I like Pickett.  I really do.  His play-style is exciting and easy to love as a fan.  But I wouldn't take him in the 1st.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Same way I would’ve felt if we chose Mac Jones over Justin fields last draft 

The thing is, every single 1st round guy last year is a much better prospect than Pickett.

Jones as a prospect gets super underrated.  His accuracy was unbelievable.  Great mechanics.  Your prototypical pocket passer.  You question his ceiling, but he was a very safe prospect.  Pickett is risky as hell, and I'd also argue his ceiling is limited too.  I think Pickett maxes out as a top 12 kind of guy.  Which if he hits that, is worth taking in the 1st, but LIS that is his max to me.  More than likely I see him being a Daniel Jones kind of guy.  Someone who shows flashes but never puts it all together.  

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mage said:

The thing is, every single 1st round guy last year is a much better prospect than Pickett.

Jones as a prospect gets super underrated.  His accuracy was unbelievable.  Great mechanics.  Your prototypical pocket passer.  You question his ceiling, but he was a very safe prospect.  Pickett is risky as hell, and I'd also argue his ceiling is limited too.  I think Pickett maxes out as a top 12 kind of guy.  Which if he hits that, is worth taking in the 1st, but LIS that is his max to me.  More than likely I see him being a Daniel Jones kind of guy.  Someone who shows flashes but never puts it all together.  

I don’t want Pickett and Mac Jones sucks and won’t move the needle. Weak ass arm. Can’t stretch the field. 

if we want to try and hit a home run with a qb pick at 6 then we should pick Willis. He is the only qb in this draft with elite traits.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

If we bring back Cam (big if because he already says he wants to play for a contender), we should be able to take a Willis, Howell or Strong(not at 6 obviously) and let them sit a few games and learn. Honestly I’m not sure Cam is the best QB to learn behind though, he isn’t always fundamentally sound. The best scenario was keeping Teddy last year and drafting Fields to sit behind him. You know what they say about hindsight… 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

29 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I don’t want Pickett and Mac Jones sucks and won’t move the needle. Weak ass arm. Can’t stretch the field. 

if we want to try and hit a home run with a qb pick at 6 then we should pick Willis. He is the only qb in this draft with elite traits.

I do not want a QB at 6, but if we must Willis is the only one I would take a risk on. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

I would be excited with Pickett. He has solid mechanics and accuracy, a good enough arm. I remember these same trait complaints for Burrow, all be it burrow had ridiculous confidence.

It didn’t take Burrow 4 years as a starter to do anything relevant in College. To me it reeks of a big fish in a small pond….

Picket looks closer to Pickles than Mac Jones, Jones can actually throw a ball even with an incredibly weak arm.

Whatever get these people fired and a house cleaning, Picket could do that he is that bad. 

Edited by Waldo