• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getting 2013 QB draft class vibes

BurnNChinn

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Franchise altering is a bit much.  Just as there is no guarantee that Lance works out there is no guarntee that the other players will either.

So San Fran ended up giving up this years 29th pick, and we have to assume they might be decent next year, so lets say they end up giving up pick 22 next year. (10th best team maybe)

I won't count last year because its not fair to judge players in their rookie year but lets look at 2018-2020.  Here are the players picked at 22 and 29.

Rashaan Evans, Taven Bryan, Andre Dillard, LJ Collier, Justin Jefferson, Isaih Wilson, Caleb Farley, and Eric Stokes.

Jefferson was a heck of a pick and Dillard was decent but the others?  Hardly franchise altering.  As far as the 3rd round pick goes your chances are even less.

Fans severely overate the quality of players that teams get even in the first round round, especially towards the back of the first round.  Not to give Hurney too much credit but we have actually done quite well with our 1st round picks in the past.

With all that being said I'm usually not a fan of trading up , but when a QB is involved the risk/reward is different.

You are entitled to your opinion but they also have zero shot to draft a QB in the next few drafts if they whiff. So....yeah, franchise altering. 

You trade that kind of haul, you have to hit. Be because it bankrupts your ability to add high caliber, cheap talent for multiple seasons.

Look no further than our idiotic trading which basically has us down to a "one and done" draft.

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You are entitled to your opinion but they also have zero shot to draft a QB in the next few drafts if they whiff. So....yeah, franchise altering. 

You trade that kind of haul, you have to hit. Be because it bankrupts your ability to add high caliber, cheap talent for multiple seasons.

Look no further than our idiotic trading which basically has us down to a "one and done" draft.

How will they ever survive without Rashaan Evans and Taven Bryan?

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, if I just cherry picked a three year stretch and manufactured where they would be drafting, I guess I would have an opinion that stupid too.

You can look at more years and I'm sure the hit rate is a lot lower than what you are portraying by automatically saying you are crippling your franchise.

Teams miss on 1st rounders all the time and still are competitive.  I'm not saying there isn't risk, but to say it is franchise altering is a bit much in my opinion. 

You know what else is franchise altering?  Not having a QB?  So lets say you don't make the trade, you draft some non-Qbs, maybe you get a Justin Jefferson but more times than not you get an average or below average player.  You still don't have a QB, your franchise is still altered, badly.

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

You can look at more years and I'm sure the hit rate is a lot lower than what you are portraying by automatically saying you are crippling your franchise.

Teams miss on 1st rounders all the time and still are competitive.  I'm not saying there isn't risk, but to say it is franchise altering is a bit much in my opinion. 

You know what else is franchise altering?  Not having a QB?  So lets say you don't make the trade, you draft some non-Qbs, maybe you get a Justin Jefferson but more times than not you get an average or below average player.  You still don't have a QB, your franchise is still altered, badly.

You don't even believe your own argument. If you trade up for a QB at the price of three 1st rounders, that is three whiffs. Not to mention, those were two other potential QB's you can't take.

QB's are franchise altering, you say, well whiffing and not being able to pivot and try again is.....franchise altering.

That is quite literally what you are missing. Those were two more potential shots at that QB.

More of the 2014 class for me.  You've got 2-3 guys...with time and development (see sitting the bench for a few years) may end up being serviceable starters, but ZERO day 1 starters.

image.png.9f9a75641a77b427a26023848b535828.png

Notice the one guy a team got desperate for a QB reached.  Bortles should have never gone that high.  This will probably be Pickett this year (probably us).  Then you have a glut of guys at the end of round 1 and round 2.  That's likely to happen this year.  Corral I can see being like a Derek Carr in a few years...a middle-of-the-road starter, though he will go a bit higher.  Willis has the athletic buzz like Johnny Football did, but I actually see him being more like Logan Thomas.  Howell and Bridgewater are really nothing alike, but that's about where Howell should go, late round 1.  Ridder will go in the 2nd round  about where Jimmy G went.  Strong will be a day 3 pick. Brock Purdy may be the only guy worth taking a late round flyer on at this point.  Zappe's arm will get exposed in the NFL unless he goes to the right offense like a WCO that specializes in a short passing attack.

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

You don't even believe your own argument. If you trade up for a QB at the price of three 1st rounders, that is three whiffs. Not to mention, those were two other potential QB's you can't take.

QB's are franchise altering, you say, well whiffing and not being able to pivot and try again is.....franchise altering.

That is quite literally what you are missing. Those were two more potential shots at that QB.

You are correct, KC is still trying to recover from trading up for Mahomes.

40 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I hate that this team has been in desperation mode the past few years, especially after getting Marty back and now Rhule. If we take a QB now in a decidedly much weaker QB class than last year, we are drafting Greg Little again. We were so desperate for a LT that we caught a falling knife despite there already being buzz about the 2020 tackle class. We ignored the QBS class buzz last year and went Horn and now we are yet again going to ignore a LT and reach for a QB in a bad QB class.

Murphy’s law.