• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you think Pickett, Howell, Willis etc are better than Joe Burrow?

mickeye76

Burrow and Chase lit it up.  The combo has continued their winning ways but came up short in SB. I don't see a scenario where Pickett and Moore can recreate that kind of explosiveness.  Burrow got calmed down a bit by a dline stacked with talent.  His offensive line was depleted by injuries when it mattered most. We have all seen this before.  Cam in his prime with a questionable oline = no ring.  Mahommes minus his usual tackle = no ring. Burrow without two lineman = 7 sacks and NO ring.  So what ya think gonna happen if we patch together another oline from free agency and put a lesser talent behind it. With any overdrafting of the current batch of QB we lucky to hit 500.    

• Pie 1

There isn't a quarterback in the draft that is remotely in the same class as Burrow. Not saying that one or two of these guys can't get there in a couple of years, but right now? Hell no. It's a crap shoot.

Corral has the drive/mentality

Ridder has the tools/build

Willis has the arm strength

Howell has the consistency

Pickett has the playmaking ability

But none of these guys has it all wrapped up in one package. Whoever drafts one of these guys better have a damn good OC, QB coach, and a veteran QB to learn from.

• Pie 4

The general consensus is that none of these guys will be as highly rated as Burrow as a prospect.  In simple terms none of them will have a "grade" as high as Burrow for the vast majority of teams.

With that being said Burrow does help to show how all of the "Ceiling and Floor" talk can be a bit overplayed by fans.  There is more to being a QB than how far you can throw a ball or how fast you can run.  This isn't Madden.

25 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

The general consensus is that none of these guys will be as highly rated as Burrow as a prospect.  In simple terms none of them will have a "grade" as high as Burrow for the vast majority of teams.

With that being said Burrow does help to show how all of the "Ceiling and Floor" talk can be a bit overplayed by fans.  There is more to being a QB than how far you can throw a ball or how fast you can run.  This isn't Madden.

Yep the GOAT was graded not so well.. Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Jackson all had red flags.

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I mean no one is expecting us to draft a rookie QB and win the Super Bowl next year. The question is can we build a team around one of these QBs that can make us competitive enough to compete every year and have a shot at winning it all. 

That's kinda my point.  I don't see any QB this year that can compete with Patrick, Joe, Lamar, Josh, or even the runts of the litter like Mac or Kyler.  

32 minutes ago, mickeye76 said:

That's kinda my point.  I don't see any QB this year that can compete with Patrick, Joe, Lamar, Josh, or even the runts of the litter like Mac or Kyler.  

There is no way to know that. Joe and Kyler were predicted to go one, the others had red flags that made some drop. It just takes one team to like the prospect and take the risk. Bills took a risk with Allen that paid off, Bears with Mitch that did not. Lamar went late in the first to a pretty established team. 

Seriously if I was actually the GM or coach with my job on the line I wouldn’t take any of these QBs.  I definitely wouldn’t take them at 6.  You could find a diamond from these guys but more likely than not you will be looking for another one soon.  Looking at everything I think Howell is most likely to be something but he is far from a sure thing either.  

Joe Burrow was on another level compared to this class.  His senior season was one of the best ever against really good competition.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joe-burrow-1.html

60 TDs to 6 ints?  76% comp.  Damn

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

Seriously if I was actually the GM or coach with my job on the line I wouldn’t take any of these QBs.  I definitely wouldn’t take them at 6.  You could find a diamond from these guys but more likely than not you will be looking for another one soon.  Looking at everything I think Howell is most likely to be something but he is far from a sure thing either.  

Joe Burrow was on another level compared to this class.  His senior season was one of the best ever against really good competition.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joe-burrow-1.html

60 TDs to 6 ints?  76% comp.  Damn

What about 77.4% 42 TDs to 4 INTs? Mac Jones against really good competition. 

Seriously though, if Burrow is the bar we might never draft a QB… 

Edited by ForJimmy
  • Pie 1

With all the talk about the overhyped and project QBs, there are only 5 QBs I would consider in this draft that have the intangibles needed for playoff runs.

Aqeel Glass and Jack Coan will be quick returns for the teams that draft them. Cole Kelley and Kaleb Eleby may be able to make an impact in playoff games. Ridder is the only one of the overhyped bunch that could develop into an NFL playoff QB.

I rarely ever see a QB coming into the draft that can be an impact in the playoffs during their rookie contract. This year's draft has 2 of those QBs in Glass and Coan. No question in drafting either of these QBs. Ridder would be a project that will pay off for a patient coach.

When you see an HBCU QB get NFL attention, you should take notice. The last 3 who were given the opportunity to start all went to the SB. It's rare, and You'll likely not see it again for 10 to 20 years.

On 2/15/2022 at 10:21 AM, ForJimmy said:

I mean no one is expecting us to draft a rookie QB and win the Super Bowl next year. The question is can we build a team around one of these QBs that can make us competitive enough to compete every year and have a shot at winning it all. 

To successfully develop a QB prospect, you need a stable franchise and an above-average coaching staff. 

Carolina has neither of these.   

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, BlitzMonster said:

To successfully develop a QB prospect, you need a stable franchise and an above-average coaching staff. 

Carolina has neither of these.   

One could argue the Bengals/Cards/Bills didn’t have that until they found their QB. I do get what you are saying though.