• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper loves futbol more!

BurnNChinn

42 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Baseball is mostly dudes standing around and you get maybe 20 minutes of football in NFL games between commercials but soccer is the boring sport. 

I played soccer for years and for people that never played it, or at least at an advanced level the part they don't get is the unscripted nature of the game.  That's where the creativity and wonder comes in to play.  The shot that beat Charlotte FC...that shot doesn't happen 99% of the time, let alone actually score.  It was a freaking masterful dart of a shot.  When I say it was a perfect shot, it was absolutely perfect.  That dude probably couldn't replicate that shot if given 20 more attempts.  That's the awe and beauty of it! 

In football...plays are called, basketball you run sets, baseball there are set places to throw depending on where the ball is hit into play and what opponents are on bases.   The closest mainstream sport to soccer is hockey (lacross is closer, but not a main sport).  People that can appreciate the way hockey is played should like soccer to some extent.  In hockey, they don't run plays or sets unless on a penalty.  Same with soccer, the only quasi-scripted plays are penalty sets.

Best I can describe it is you are trying to outwit, outplay and outlast with stamina your opponents, on the fly, for 90 minutes.  Between evenly matched clubs, the difference in a game comes down just one mistake or really, REALLY brilliant play! 

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 5

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I played soccer for years and for people that never played it, or at least at an advanced level the part they don't get is the unscripted nature of the game.  That's where the creativity and wonder comes in to play.  The shot that beat Charlotte FC...that shot doesn't happen 99% of the time, let alone actually score.  It was a freaking masterful dart of a shot.  When I say it was a perfect shot, it was absolutely perfect.  That dude probably couldn't replicate that shot if given 20 more attempts.  That's the awe and beauty of it! 

In football...plays are called, basketball you run sets, baseball there are set places to throw depending on where the ball is hit into play and what opponents are on bases.   The closest mainstream sport to soccer is hockey (lacross is closer, but not a main sport).  People that can appreciate the way hockey is played should like soccer to some extent.  In hockey, they don't run plays or sets unless on a penalty.  Same with soccer, the only quasi-scripted plays are penalty sets.

Best I can describe it is you are trying to outwit, outplay and outlast with stamina your opponents, on the fly, for 90 minutes.  Between evenly matched clubs, the difference in a game comes down just one mistake or really, REALLY brilliant play! 

Was watching the pre game to LA and Portland last night and they even admitted that if you were gonna lose on a goal that goal was the one to do it to because ain’t nothing you can do about it as opposed to some boneheaded mistake

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Yup, watching a baseball game is like watching paint dry to me.  That's one sport I have never understood watching.  Crazy thing is they are in a lockout and they lost a ton of fans years ago when they pulled that stunt.  Now MLS is growing in popularity and the NHL keeps expanded teams and fans, baseball is going to find itself competing with Cornhole tournaments on ESPN Ocho before too long.

And MLS as a soccer product is garbage. I despise it. Only thing I like it for is USMNT products. Usually they get 10X better when they go overseas. See Brandon Aaronson for reference. 

21 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Why is everyone shocked the opening match to a brand new franchise was well attended?   Give it 10 or so games and dwelling in the MLS basement and see if 75,000 fans are still in the stands.  Charlotte is become more and more like LA.  People attend things like this for the pomp of the event, not to actually pay attention to the event.  They want to say, "Yeah, I was there!"  I doubt most of the crowd has ever watched an entire soccer game, let alone know the rules.  

'Why don't the offense just post a guy up in front of the goal the entire game???'  {Because it's offsides}  'What the crap is an offsides?' 

I think you have grossly underestimated the general soccer knowledge of the crowd that was there.

8 minutes ago, travisura said:

I think you have grossly underestimated the general soccer knowledge of the crowd that was there.

How general are we speaking of?  I mean are we talking Premier League general fan knowledge or typical American fan knowledge.  Hit me back up in 10 games or so and let me know if the stands even remotely are as full and Charlotte indeed has 74,000 rapid soccer fans in that are packing BOA each home game. 

I'm sure there were some die-hard soccer fans there, I don't doubt that, but football is America's sport and you have people that attend just to be seen/say they were there.  Even with only 17 regular season games a year, many stadiums are not sold out every game and even the ones that are have their share of socialites that just want to be part of excitement and could care less about the nuances of the game or honestly the team they are there to supposedly be watching.

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

How general are we speaking of?  I mean are we talking Premier League general fan knowledge or typical American fan knowledge.  Hit me back up in 10 games or so and let me know if the stands even remotely are as full and Charlotte indeed has 74,000 rapid soccer fans in that are packing BOA each home game. 

I'm sure there were some die-hard soccer fans there, I don't doubt that, but football is America's sport and you have people that attend just to be seen/say they were there.  Even with only 17 regular season games a year, many stadiums are not sold out every game and even the ones that are have their share of socialites that just want to be part of excitement and could care less about the nuances of the game or honestly the team they are there to supposedly be watching.

I'm not saying the stadium is going to be packed for every game going forward. But I do think it's a cynical take to say that the majority of the crowd had never watched a game and don't know the rules. And you're operating on a binary that you either know the game OR  you wanted to be there for the spectacle. You can do both.

4 minutes ago, travisura said:

I'm not saying the stadium is going to be packed for every game going forward. But I do think it's a cynical take to say that the majority of the crowd had never watched a game and don't know the rules. And you're operating on a binary that you either know the game OR  you wanted to be there for the spectacle. You can do both.

We shall see.   People crapped on the 'Wine and Cheese" crowd when the Panthers started.  Why?  Many of them showed up late, left early, got upset for cheering loudly or standing up.  Not the least of, many of those folks couldn't tell you much about the team itself or football in general.  It was a trendy thing to do to at the time to watch the Panthers game, plus they had plenty of disposable income to treat it like going to see a movie.

Again, this is a shiny, new object for Charlotte.  Granted the Carolinas have their share of true soccer purists, but I have a hard time believing it's at the level being implied by opening night attendance numbers.

56 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

We shall see.   People crapped on the 'Wine and Cheese" crowd when the Panthers started.  Why?  Many of them showed up late, left early, got upset for cheering loudly or standing up.  Not the least of, many of those folks couldn't tell you much about the team itself or football in general.  It was a trendy thing to do to at the time to watch the Panthers game, plus they had plenty of disposable income to treat it like going to see a movie.

Again, this is a shiny, new object for Charlotte.  Granted the Carolinas have their share of true soccer purists, but I have a hard time believing it's at the level being implied by opening night attendance numbers.

It'll be the same as it is for every professional sports team. You want tickets to sell consistently? Then win. But Charlotte has proven that the appetite for a professional soccer team very much exists.