• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any other crappy guitar players?

Pejorative Miscreant

It's never too late, but it sure doesn't hurt for your formative years learning an instrument to be when you don't have a career or other adult stuff to worry about.  God only knows the years of ear splitting hellish noise I subjected my parents to when I was in high school. 

The first two bands I ever went really nuts about were Metallica and Korn in the late 90s, but something about the presence and power of Jimmy Page was what cemented it.  He's the main reason I play a Les Paul and why it's my favorite style of guitar today.  

Learning how to play an instrument is rewarding at any age though.  If you stick with it it's going to be something that you love for life.

10 hours ago, The Huddler said:

my wife has a really nice guitar in the basement that hasnt been touched in years..

thinking about hoping on youtube and learning some basics 

Yeah there is a ton of high quality content on YouTube that can get you started.  I'm honestly jealous of people, especially young kids, who are getting started now.

What kind of guitar is it?  If it's been sitting a long time it probably needs a new set of strings at the absolute least and probably a truss rod adjustment.  It might not be a bad idea to take it to a local guitar shop for a once-over and set up.  They'll adjust the action, relief (how much "bow" is in the neck), adjust the intonation (how in tune the notes play across the neck), and install fresh strings.  It'll run you $50 tops and will get the guitar playing better.  This concludes unsolicited advice time.

• Pie 1

On 3/17/2022 at 8:06 AM, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

What kind of guitar is it?  If it's been sitting a long time it probably needs a new set of strings at the absolute least and probably a truss rod adjustment.  It might not be a bad idea to take it to a local guitar shop for a once-over and set up.  They'll adjust the action, relief (how much "bow" is in the neck), adjust the intonation (how in tune the notes play across the neck), and install fresh strings.  It'll run you $50 tops and will get the guitar playing better.  This concludes unsolicited advice time.

and pray the neck hasn't been badly warped from sitting in a basement for years... yikes!

I never really got into LZ that much, and although I respect the heck out of them and Paige especially, I was always more of a Brian May fan. Though if you mixed his style and EVH, you'd produce one of my absolute favorites - Nuno Bettencourt. If anyone here hasn't heard of him, you should check out the YT below, as it's still one of the coolest things I've ever heard done on a guitar.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...