• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kenny Pickett > Malik Willis (at least for us)

janderson20vt

11 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

So essentially we have to hope that his jump in accuracy wasn’t a one year wonder and he develops into a mobile Matt Ryan.

But there is also a solid chance that what we saw during year two through four is who Pickett really is… which is a mobile Andy Dalton.

The alternative is a guy that winged it and left the pocket constantly even in Mobile.  I mean have to be fair there…Pickett is more proven as a passer.

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

47 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

lol

Seriously though I don’t mind Pickett. I think Willis and Howell have higher ceilings, but Pickett has the higher floor. Pickett is a good 1st round prospect IMO. He is kind of boring which isn’t a bad thing. I don’t think this class is as bad as everyone thinks. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Shocker said:

The alternative is a guy that winged it and left the pocket constantly even in Mobile.  I mean have to be fair there…Pickett is more proven as a passer.

Everyone struggled in the senior bowl, the OL’s wore horrid.

What I’m concerned about is that it took Pickett five years and four years as a starter to look like a fluid passer.

If you take last year out of the equation then Willis actually has a better completion percentage.

Pickett is being mocked high simply because it appears that he can read a defense well and people think that he may have developed into an accurate passer… I don’t buy it.

On the contrary, I have watched every snap that Willis has taken and I’ve seen him read defenses well when given time. He’ll have to be coached up in regards to his mechanics and relaxing in the pocket a bit but he’s not near of a project as people make him about to be. Nearly every one of his mistakes (outside of the Middle Tennessee State and Ole Miss games) can be attributed to trying to play hero ball. In the NFL he won’t have to do that.

I just don’t by the stock that Pickett is selling. Hope I’m wrong though.

13 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Everyone struggled in the senior bowl, the OL’s wore horrid.

What I’m concerned about is that it took Pickett five years and four years as a starter to look like a fluid passer.

If you take last year out of the equation then Willis actually has a better completion percentage.

Pickett is being mocked high simply because it appears that he can read a defense well and people think that he may have developed into an accurate passer… I don’t buy it.

On the contrary, I have watched every snap that Willis has taken and I’ve seen him read defenses well when given time. He’ll have to be coached up in regards to his mechanics and relaxing in the pocket a bit but he’s not near of a project as people make him about to be. Nearly every one of his mistakes (outside of the Middle Tennessee State and Ole Miss games) can be attributed to trying to play hero ball. In the NFL he won’t have to do that.

I just don’t by the stock that Pickett is selling. Hope I’m wrong though.

I have been against the Pickett choice at 6 for like ever.  He doesn’t have super traits at all.  Is he good enough to be Kirk Cousins?  I don’t know…iffy.  Still the Panthers are almost certainly looking at him so I am keeping an open mind.  Do wonder how much better than Darnold he actually is but he was efficient last year.  

One day I love Willis the next I think he will take way to long to develop, if he does.  Risky pick.  Willis does appear to more upside but can he develop as a passer and read defenses?

If I had to make the pick right now I would go Willis.  His upside is way higher

Edited by Shocker

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Willis won’t be the pick simply because they want someone who can play now… unfortunately being able to play now doesn’t always correlate to playing well.

I will support Pickett but my hopes aren’t high.

It doesn't matter which one of these kids he drafts to start next year because none of them are ready for that.  I just hope whichever one he takes outlast Rhule and can be at least be a backup after he's gone. Assuming he survives physically and mentally that is. 

Edited by Jon Snow

15 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

There is a chance in everything we do. Any other selection we make will have chance in the equation. We just have to limit that chance into the most logical one. The one that is most certain. In Las Vegas they call it playing the house. That's when you go for the best bet. After that, you've just got to play the game. 

Sometimes you can be too logical and miss out on a great opportunity. That’s how Cleveland ended up with Mayfield instead of Allen. Luckily for them they’ve made up for it.

If we take Pickett I pray that we get the fifth year version and not the version from year two through four.

My hope is he can develop into a mobile Matt Ryan. I was talking to a coach that I interned with in college and that’s who he said that you hope he becomes. He compared their college careers and how they struggled with accuracy (except for Pickett last year) along with having weaker arms and their tendency to fumble a lot. One of the positives of both is that they went through their progressions well.

Hopefully we develops into a mobile Matt Ryan. I’d be okay with that.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It doesn't matter which one of these kids he drafts to start next year because none of them are ready for that.  I just hope whichever one he takes outlast Rhule and can be at least be a backup after he's gone. Assuming he survives physically and mentally that is. 

In Rhule’s mind I’d assume that he isn’t content with Darnold though. If a QB is drafted at six then that QB is being drafted to start and in Rhule’s case, save his job. If they don’t believe Willis can start day one then they aren’t going to take him.

5 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Pickett becomes Ryan he is absolutely worth the pick.  Ryan was an MVP so that would work

For sure, you just have to hope that the accuracy he showed last year is here to stay and that his ability to go through his progressions quickly masks his lack of arm strength. You also don’t want him fumbling 38 times in 52 games…

If the accuracy doesn’t hold up then you are looking at Andy Dalton.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

In Rhule’s mind I’d assume that he isn’t content with Darnold though. If a QB is drafted at six then that QB is being drafted to start and in Rhule’s case, save his job. If they don’t believe Willis can start day one then they aren’t going to take him.

That's why they are so desperate to sign one than draft one this year. Look for them to try to get another vet qb before the draft to compete with Sam now that they missed out on Watson. 

My guess is that if they sign a FA LT and no qb they will draft a qb.  If a FA qb is signed then a LT or DE is the pick.

Just now, Jon Snow said:

That's why they are so desperate to sign one than draft one this year. Look for them to try to get another vet qb before the draft to compete with Sam now that they missed out on Watson. 

My guess is that if they sign a FA LT and no qb they will draft a qb.  If a FA qb is signed then a LT or DE is the pick.

Not many options out there as far as FA’s and the only QB’s who might be available are Jimmy G, Love, and Minshew (who I wouldn’t mind).

2 hours ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

I didn't want Justin Herbert

I didn't want Mac Jones

I don't want Pickett

So, I'm thinking Pickett might actually be decent. 

McCorkle Jones is the new Andy Dalton.  He, from the kingdom of the incredible heights of high floors and mediocrity..and he is so embarrassingly douchey. 

Dance Nfl GIF by The Undroppables

Edited by TANTRIC-NINJA
  • Flames 1