• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on putting Cam behind this line?

RumHam

23 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

We all know that Cam Newton struggled after rejoining the Panthers midway through the 2021 campaign. There is no reason why the Panthers should even entertain the notion of bringing him back

There’s no need to hide the truth. The Cam Newton experiment and reunion mostly bombed for the Panthers last season, enough to the point that one would rationally believe the team would have less than zero interest in bringing him back in 2022.

NO ONE WAS GOING TO SUCCEED WITH US COMING IN MID-YEAR...the fact the narrative around that is as though Cam came in and just sucked irritates me. 

Anyone who watched a game without an agenda, or bias could see his presence actually led to scoring points on offense. he damn near surpassed Darnold's season in those handful of games with the same poo OL, and dealing with Rhule's college roomamte as his OC after the damn OC was fired. 

Who is coming in with no familiarity with the receivers aside from DJ, no familiarity with the offense, verbiage, concepts, etc. and willing this team to wins. 

Cam is a better option than Minshew, and whoever else is left out there given an off-season. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, mav1234 said:

I love Cam but I just don't see why he should come back, either on his side or the teams... I'd like to see him compete for a ring some place... He clearly still has it in the red zone and maybe more with competent coaching and players around him.

While he would be a good mentor I think, he just wasn't particularly effective as a starter and so I could see them going in a different direction even if the goal is to mentor a rookie for a few games.

Just when we finally got good receivers Cam was gone. Cam had Smitty for a short time and after that who? Philly Brown? New England had just stripped their roster before Cam got there so no receivers no tight ends.

What I'm saying is we KNOW for a fact Cam never had pieces at WR after Smitty. I don't think you can judge Cams performance when he's always been tasked to cook with no ingredients. 

He didn't get much time with DJ before he was gone. The year they had together DJ was probowl material. Give Cam a friggin chance. 

The one time he had sufficient help he went 15-1 in the NFL. Stop with the hurt, stop with the shoulder is shot, this man IS healthy and given weapons he IS the same Cam but more mature, patient in the pocket, going through four reads.

This is the best Cam Newton if given weapons and the perfect role model if we choose to draft any of these QBs this year who could all use a redshirt year(Willis, Strong). AND with Cam we are in win NOW mode, the end of this bull.

Edited by rippadonn
  • Pie 1

I hate that we never could put a competent O-line in front of him throughout his career but I'm done watching Cam play QB. I just can't take it anymore, especially knowing how good he once was and how much he's regressed since. I tried to give him a chance then that WAS game pretty much confirmed all of my priors. He's not an NFL starter at this level IMO and I'd like to draft and develop someone either this draft or next. 

Not just an improved oline, but the best cadre of weapons this team has had in a LONG time. 

Cam looked pretty good in 2020 with the Pats until his only real receiving threat went down (Julian Edelman). Had a couple of exciting games against Miami and Seattle early. 

I don't think he's 2015 Cam, but this team needs competence at the position right now. Sam ain't that, and any rookie would likely not be that either. Cam isn't "put the team on his back" anymore, but I think he can bring consistency and rare playmaking athleticism to the position. 

I like him as more of a game manager, with the ability to make an occassional super athletic play to spark the team when the offense is stalled. 

1 hour ago, rippadonn said:

One of last times (forgot about futbol)we saw Tepper was in that picture with Cam.

Do you know David Tepper? Is Rhule still here? Do YOU want Rhule here?

Prepare thy puckered posterior....

Im Back Cam Newton GIF by Carolina Panthers

I think he said, I hurt my Baaaaack."  Cam was great, but misused.  Sad because he could have been great for much longer.

Cam will be 33 in May. As a starter it's over and isn't even fair to expect him to make magic with this group. If we bring him back as a mentor I could see that but why would he want to and at what point would that get awkward as the franchise is stuck in a transition period now? I would rather see him compete somewhere else for a real role if that is in the cards but it seems like a longshot given all circumstances.