• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will drafting a rookie QB save Rhule?

firefox1234

1 minute ago, jb2288 said:

This team is overall way better than 2011. While you can’t win a SB without a great qb, you can definitely win 8-9 games

I would agree this a better team than 2011. I just don’t have much confidence a rookie QB could get us much better than 5-12. Bears scraped by with Fields at 6-11. I can’t confidently say we get 8 or 9 wins with a rookie QB. 

If he had done it last year, maybe. Too little, too late. I guess he thought he was getting one last year, at least in age, but instead he go a guy who has been playing like a mid round rookie for 4 years. This year he's planning drafting a mid round QB prospect in the first round. What could go wrong? Especially when you HAVE to prove you can win this year.

And if he does fail and get fired, then it could very well be that this would have been a wasted first round pick because the next coach will want his guy at QB, which is the way it should be. Forcing him to stick with a bad decision made by his predecessor who was fired for consistently making bad decisions would really put that coach behind.

The whole thing is a long shot.

• Beer 2

26 minutes ago, trueblade said:

image.jpeg.e6407b9ff19c399f651462fc8f465439.jpegimage.jpeg.5aee82e153f814fe2046a0cadf40b631.jpegeberflus-main-012722

This was what I was going to say ^^^^ get results or get replaced....

Yes new coaches ''like their guy'' but if you have a young promising player that usually is not an issue...the ''my guy'' stuff I feel generally surrounds two scenarios...

1) Declining / Injured Vet like we saw with Cam's exit

2) Young QB close to the end of his rookie deal where the team is in position to draft a new one

3 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

This was what I was going to say ^^^^ get results or get replaced....

Yes new coaches ''like their guy'' but if you have a young promising player that usually is not an issue...the ''my guy'' stuff I feel generally surrounds two scenarios...

1) Declining / Injured Vet like we saw with Cam's exit

2) Young QB close to the end of his rookie deal where the team is in position to draft a new one

Josh Rosen would like to have a word….

If we miss the playoffs Rhule is gone, I’d say that’s pretty clear. Even if a rookie QB comes in and plays like Justin Herbert from his first snap. I don’t think this draft has any impact at all in Rhule’s future other than how well it contributes to us winning games and making the playoffs this season.

• Pie 1

I'll repeat what I said elsewhere...

The only quarterback prediction I feel comfortable making right now is that Matt Rhule doesn't want to go into this season with Sam Darnold as his starter.

That makes me think that either we're going to draft whichever rookie he likes best (I would guess Pickett) or if we don't pick one, we're going to revisit possible trades like Garoppolo or Mayfield after the draft.

Which option's better? Don't know.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, t96 said:

If we miss the playoffs Rhule is gone, I’d say that’s pretty clear. Even if a rookie QB comes in and plays like Justin Herbert from his first snap. I don’t think this draft has any impact at all in Rhule’s future other than how well it contributes to us winning games and making the playoffs this season.

The problem I have is that this draft can more than likely negatively affect this teams future. Instead of choosing a more reliable player at #6 like an LT or maybe even DL, Rhule may feel forced to gamble our only top 100 pick in a weak QB draft. If Rhule gets fired and the new wants his own QB then it would make this draft even more of a wash.

9 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

Josh Rosen would like to have a word….

Isn't Josh Rosen out of the league at this point? He was a different level of bad. Is Chicago's new coach going to dump Fields? Probably not. I'd say if whoever we draft, if we end up with the #1 overall pick next year, we will draft another QB. I think it's more about draft position than anything else.

Just now, Luciu5 said:

Isn't Josh Rosen out of the league at this point? He was a different level of bad. Is Chicago's new coach going to dump Fields? Probably not. I'd say if whoever we draft, if we end up with the #1 overall pick next year, we will draft another QB. I think it's more about draft position than anything else.

I think he's a backup somewhere. Could swear it's the Falcons actually.

1 minute ago, Luciu5 said:

I’m pretty sure Rosen is out but he isn’t the first or last QB teams will completely whiff on.

I agree that unless we are picking #1 or probably top 5 we won’t do a Josh Rosen unless the guy picked this year is just that bad.