• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Howell's Pro Day

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, travisura said:

Homer or not, choosing to die on the hill that Howell is the undisputed best QB in this class is an interesting choice. I guess you're rooting for him to go to the Steelers so you can root for them and finally give up on the Panthers like you've been threatening to do for months now. I guess we shall see.

I'm pretty much ready to give up on Tepper's Panthers. 

Howell being the best QB in the draft is my opinion. I don't think it's undisputed. There is no Luck or Lawrence in this draft that checks every "once in a decade" box.

39 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

i can certainly respect howells maturity when things didnt go well and his stock dropped. 

he looks like baker mayfield but thats anti baker mayfield behavior 

like i said, I like howell and would like to take a chance on him at the right spot.  but not at 6.  Across the board everyone is saying this is a weak QB class and nowhere have i seen him ranked in the top two

sure, take a chance in him at the right spot as a value reclamation pick. id be all for that. 

Go back one year and he was QB1 to many. All he did last year was prove he's more of a threat with his legs than previously thought. So....we can get the QB everyone thought was the best of this crop a year ago for a discount because his team struggled last year. Not because he did. Sounds great to me. 

Everyone yelled "UNC Homers" when we suggested Trubisky would be the best play before last year. Well look how it played out. 

6 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Go back one year and he was QB1 to many. All he did last year was prove he's more of a threat with his legs than previously thought. So....we can get the QB everyone thought was the best of this crop a year ago for a discount because his team struggled last year. Not because he did. Sounds great to me. 

Everyone yelled "UNC Homers" when we suggested Trubisky would be the best play before last year. Well look how it played out. 

read the rest of the thread I agree with you.  Id be ok with howell at the right spot

trade back and pick up an extra second..  take BPA Left Tackle and take howell

and too be honest, some points in here make sense and UNC fans have a different perspective than the average draft analyst. so tbh my opinion of howell is better after this thread

my main point was that UNC fans saying hes the best QB hands down i thought that was very homeristic behavior   

• Pie 1

at the end of the day, even if the panthers think hes good enough to be taken at 6 and be the face of the franchise, I'm on board. 

cause IM a panthers Homer and pretty much every decision the panthers make I can talk myself into how that was a good decision

im not a full fledged homer though. I CHOOSE to be optimistic about the panthers and get on board with what they are doing.  I just enjoy the NFL and the panthers that way.  

sure ill give my opinions and defend the panthers in stuff but a lot of the time its just for the sake of the argument and fleshing out the reasoning and thinking behind things 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, The Huddler said:

i can certainly respect howells maturity when things didnt go well and his stock dropped. 

he looks like baker mayfield but thats anti baker mayfield behavior 

like i said, I like howell and would like to take a chance on him at the right spot.  but not at 6.  Across the board everyone is saying this is a weak QB class and nowhere have i seen him ranked in the top two

sure, take a chance in him at the right spot as a value reclamation pick. id be all for that. 

I've always said that physically Baker is a good comp for Howell. Baker has a bit stronger arm, Howell is a bit better of an athlete.

There's a big difference between the ears though. Baker would've had an absolute meltdown at Carolina last year.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I've always said that physically Baker is a good comp for Howell. Baker has a bit stronger arm, Howell is a bit better of an athlete.

There's a big difference between the ears though. Baker would've had an absolute meltdown at Carolina last year.

now that it has been brought up, the point about Howells maturity truly is something to admire

When you are a highly touted NfL draft prospect that had #1 OVR potential but poo goes bad around you causing you to fall in the draft, literally costing you millions, but stay composed, take responsibility and be a leader..  i really respect that and didnt really think about that before

SOMETHING made him considered widely the too prospect a year ago. tbh im not too familiar with Howell so i dont know his strengths and weaknesses.  i only know what rankings ive seen and where  but i know he has talent.  things have fallen short with him and UNC one way or another

getting a franchise QB for pennies on the dollar i am all for..  if not living up to expectations caused a scenario where the panthers can get him at a value price, then so be it.   it was meant to be.  

I like value.  and getting howell at the back of the 1st or early 2nd id be stoked honestly. especially if we land a franchise LT as well 

im starting to ramble thats what Kratom does to me

sometimes i come on the huddle just to be a pointy instigator.  a lot of my responses are exagerated.  mainly because in real life, im very quiet, considerate, polite.  its hard for me to be rude to someone to their face.  on the huddle im able to let that rudeness come out and be able to express some of my less desirable qualities that dont incorporate in my persona aka "mask" to the real world.  little bit of Jungian shadow psychology right there.

• Pie 2

34 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

SOMETHING made him considered widely the too prospect a year ago. tbh im not too familiar with Howell so i dont know his strengths and weaknesses.  i only know what rankings ive seen and where  but i know he has talent.  things have fallen short with him and UNC one way or another 

I think @LinvilleGorge brought up a really good point in this respect. Their best chance to win was to get him out of the pocket faster since they had no skill position guys and no OLine. Go try and find UNC players in a mock draft simulator if you don’t believe me. Looking like they’ll maybe have 3 non-Howell players drafted this season and none before the 5th round: RB, OL, and LB.

Howell is good, but let’s not take him at #6

Edited by John_Sutter
  • Pie 1

Just now, John_Sutter said:

I think @LinvilleGorge brought up a really good point in this respect. Their best chance to win was to get him out of the pocket faster since they had no skill position guys and no OLine. Go try and find UNC players in a mock draft simulator if you don’t believe me. Looking like they’ll maybe have 3 non-Howell players drafted this season and non before the 5th round. 

Howell is good, but let’s not take him at #6

All the criticisms of being one read and run are valid for this year but it was out of sheer necessity. He almost never ran prior to this year. The coaches actually told him not to because we didn't have a viable backup.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think Howell is the best QB in the draft because he has all the tools and he has shown he can handle adversity without getting rattled or frustrated. UNC was horrible last year. The OL absolutely fell apart and there was only one legit receiver on the roster. Howell had never ran before and transitioned to a one read and bolt QB out of necessity. I didn't need to see Howell go through progressions. I'd already seen it. What I got to see last year is how Howell handled getting the absolute hell beat out of him while having to carry the entire offense and not having a defense to lean on. Anyone who was high on Howell prior should honestly be even higher on him. Don't watch the team, watch the player.

That slow ass delivery tho...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1