• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How dangerous is Willis as a runner? What makes him special?

micnificent28

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its a weird horse to hitch your wagon to considering everyone and their brother all acknowledge that he needs a LOT of work.  I dont give 2 chits if he can throw it a country mile or run over some white boy from some school named North Texas he is going to need extensive time and coaching just to be able to start an NFL game and even then its a crapshoot if he can become above average.  The offense he ran at liberty has been described as "elementary" and he didnt throw much in between the hashes.  He has so far to go its not even funny.  How many coaching staffs are goign to have to work with him to get him able to play?

It's kinda odd to me that all the talk about Trey Lance not even being close to ready doesn't have people backpedaling pretty hard on Willis. They just seem so similar as prospects IMO. If anything, Willis might even be more raw.

• Pie 3

19 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

What is your infatuation with Willis.  It's wonderful he can run fast.  We don't need a QB that can run fast we need one that can throw the ball.  ACCURATELY and from all I've heard he's not very accurate. 

This.

All these "running" QB's get figured out eventually and nearly always have a shorter shelf life than your pocket passers - or even your mobile but NOT running QB's.  I want a guy who even if his legs are failing can still scare the defense.  If John Elway or Steve Young were playing hurt / unable to run, they could still just kill you.

We need a bit of that around here.  I'm not convinced any of these rookies will be that, but Willis is the LEAST convincing of them all.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its a weird horse to hitch your wagon to considering everyone and their brother all acknowledge that he needs a LOT of work.  I dont give 2 chits if he can throw it a country mile or run over some white boy from some school named North Texas he is going to need extensive time and coaching just to be able to start an NFL game and even then its a crapshoot if he can become above average.  The offense he ran at liberty has been described as "elementary" and he didnt throw much in between the hashes.  He has so far to go its not even funny.  How many coaching staffs are goign to have to work with him to get him able to play?

I mean I know you and a lot of guys who look at things the old fashion way can't see it. But the NFL is taking notice and things are in motion... teams are making moves and gearing up to make thing happen.. that usually means qb.. And no that isn't Pickett

Screenshot_20220404-165244_Plume.jpg

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's kinda odd to me that all the talk about Trey Lance not even being close to ready doesn't have people backpedaling pretty hard on Willis. They just seem so similar as prospects IMO. If anything, Willis might even be more raw.

I am thinking of it in the context of Rhules timeline.  We as a franchise cannot afford the luxury of drafting Lance/willis with the luxury of sitting them and trying to develop them.   Thats just not our reality.    A person like Fields, Jones or Pickett could probably come in day 1 and start.  Right or wrong that is where rhule and this franchise is at

1 minute ago, micnificent28 said:

I mean I know you and a lot of guys who look at things the old fashion way can't see it. But the NFL is taking notice and things are in motion... teams are making moves and gearing up to make thing happen.. that usually means qb.. And no that isn't Pickett

Screenshot_20220404-165244_Plume.jpg

that is quite the reach you are speculating there.  Also other teams do dumb poo every year, it doesnt make it right

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

that is quite the reach you are speculating there.  Also other teams do dumb poo every year, it doesnt make it right

It is speculating... but it looks a lot like what San Francisco did last year to aquire trey Lance. If you want to say Daniel Jeremiah doesn't know poo... that's fine. But it's easy to see someone falling in love with Willis's tools..  there is NO better option this year.. if you need to gamble on qb why not gamble on the biggest arm and fastest playmaker. 

Doesn't mean it's right or the right choice but it's definitely tempting.. 

Edited by micnificent28

53 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Against scrub schools 

That's what I really worry about. All of a sudden everybody is big, everybody is fast, everybody is strong. Can you now play QB?

What in your game can you change to take it to the next level when you reach the next level? QBing. Guys that are already QBing like a guy with two consecutive seasons with 70% completions can jump in and produce.

If you're getting him for the purpose of running it's putting the cart before the horse.

Vick ran a 4.25 or something like that and Cam was/is a tank who builds up speed and trucks CBs, LBs. Cam did it to/against SEC talent. That's why Cam is/was elite and also why Vick was elite.

They were elite runners in their own different ways but were good/great QBs in the making. Both had to add advanced QBing to their obvious physical advantages as they became NFL veterans.

You can't be regular fast or regular big and have pretty ok accuracy and be ok at QBing and thrive in the NFL. 

Edited by rippadonn

43 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

What is your infatuation with Willis.  It's wonderful he can run fast.  We don't need a QB that can run fast we need one that can throw the ball.  ACCURATELY and from all I've heard he's not very accurate. 

except Willis isn't all that inaccurate which is why teams are falling in love with him

Screenshot_20220404-172321_Chrome.jpg

Edited by micnificent28

5 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

That's what I really worry about. All of a sudden everybody is big, everybody is fast, everybody is strong. Can you now play QB?

What in your game can you change to take it to the next level when you reach the next level? QBing. Guys that are already QBing like a guy with two consecutive seasons with 70% completions can jump in and produce.

If you're getting him for the purpose of running it's putting the cart before the horse.

Vick ran a 4.25 or something like that and Cam was/is a tank who builds up speed and trucks CBs, LBs. Cam did it to/against SEC talent. That's why Cam is/was elite and also why Vick was elite.

They were elite runners in their own different ways but were good/great QBs in the making. Both had to add advanced QBing to their obvious physical advantages as they became NFL veterans.

You can't be regular fast or regular big and have pretty ok accuracy and be ok at QBing and thrive in the NFL. 

I mean if Josh Allen's rushing ability remained a threat at the next level why wouldn't Willis? Is he slower than Allen? 

1 minute ago, micnificent28 said:

I mean if Josh Allen's rushing ability remained a threat at the next level why wouldn't Willis? Is he slower than Allen? 

A) Allen didnt run in college

B) Allen is much much larger then Willis

C) Allen and his development is an aberration far from the norm.   If you are hanging your hat on willis developing like JA then we are going to be in for some even more painful seasons

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

You said yourself that Willis needs a lot of work.  Rhule's under the gun right now to win and doesn't have time to wait for a QB to develop.

Pickett or Howell are better choices if you ask me.