• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper OverRhule’s the HC?

ForJimmy

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/11/panthers-david-tepper-matt-rhule-draft-free-agency/

This particular NFL exec doesn’t see Tepper letting Rhule mortgage the franchise’s future to get his QB or try to fix the team in this offseason. Judging by the decent FA signings, I’d say Rhule has lost a portion of his power with roster control and hopefully it carries to the draft. Let’s hope Tepper is as smart as this NFL Exec thinks he is…..

• Pie 5

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/11/panthers-david-tepper-matt-rhule-draft-free-agency/

This particular NFL exec doesn’t see Tepper letting Rhule mortgage the franchise’s future to get his QB or try to fix the team in this offseason. Judging by the decent FA signings, I’d say Rhule has lost a portion of his power with roster control and hopefully it carries to the draft. Let’s hope Tepper is as smart as this NFL Exec thinks he is…..

Music to my ears

45 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

😂 at the premise that Tepper "won't start making bad business decisions now." You have to completely ignore his tenure as the Panthers' owner to still be clinging to that pipedream.

What do you mean bad business decisions?  Tepper's worth has increased by billions, right?  He was at $12B when he bought, now valued at $16B?  Sounds like lots of great decisions for himself.

Team wise?  Well...that poor horse has been beaten to death here...

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

13 minutes ago, d-dave said:

What do you mean bad business decisions?  Tepper's worth has increased by billions, right?  He was at $12B when he bought, now valued at $16B?  Sounds like lots of great decisions for himself.

Team wise?  Well...that poor horse has been beaten to death here...

He is talking about decisions related to the Panthers. What he has done outside the organization isn’t really relevant to us here on the Panther’s board.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

😂 at the premise that Tepper "won't start making bad business decisions now." You have to completely ignore his tenure as the Panthers' owner to still be clinging to that pipedream.

Yeah, I rank that one right up there with "David Tepper won't accept losing" or "David Tepper won't be denied in his pursuit of Deshaun Watson"  or "David Tepper won a staring contest with the sun" or any of the various other things you can find on DavidTepperFacts.com.

People built up this goofy mythology around him, but the reality doesn't live up to the myth.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2

As far as the context, here's the full Panthers excerpt from Mike Sando's article:

The Panthers are exactly where they were entering free agency: desperate for a quarterback but unable to land a clear upgrade to Sam Darnold at the position.

“I don’t know what to tell you,” an exec said. “You give up all that draft compensation for Darnold, you pick up the fifth-year option, you guarantee him that extra year and here you are, stuck. Their O-line is bad. We will see if Austin Corbett helps them.”

The defense could still be solid, but losing pass-rusher Haason Reddick and defensive tackle DaQuan Jones to free agency isn’t going to help.

“They are hell-bent on getting a quarterback at all costs,” an exec said. “I would not be surprised if they took one in the draft, high.”

Carolina owns the sixth pick, then nothing until No. 137. Meanwhile, coach Matt Rhule could be coaching for his job in 2022.

“I don’t see (owner David) Tepper giving Rhule the authority to mortgage the future of the team for his own sake,” an exec said.

NFL execs talk about every team's good and bad free agent moves

It's basically just a one-off comment thrown in at the end of the section.

Edited by Mr. Scot

what is the OP even trying to say

people come up with these weird ideals and then work backwards, and they can completely flip depending the context

how does “we’re signing good free agents” even reconcile with “tepper isn’t letting rhule mortgage our future!”

most of these contracts are for one season

• Beer 1

Sheil Kapadia had a similar article analyzing free agency. This was the Panthers section:

The Panthers upgraded their offensive line by signing Bradley Bozeman and Austin Corbett. They signed wide receiver D.J. Moore to a contract extension and brought back corner Donte Jackson. Those moves were all fine. The only problem? The Panthers still don’t have a quarterback solution.

“I think they just tried to change the mix a lot,” Fitzgerald said. “They signed about $36 million a year in contracts. They dumped about $27 million in contracts. So it’s just changing, bringing in a lot of new faces, try to add to that offensive line, stabilize that a little bit, add bits and pieces to the defense. … I have no idea what kind of team they’re really building. The quarterback stuff has really thrown them for a loop.”

The Panthers tried to land Deshaun Watson, but he chose Cleveland. They’ve been in the mix for just about every notable quarterback over the past two years, yet if the season started tomorrow, they’d be starting Sam Darnold.

Taking a quarterback at No. 6 seems like a strong possibility. But rookie QBs generally struggle. Matt Rhule has gone 10-23 in two NFL seasons. If 2022 is more of the same, will he get a fourth season?

The other option for the Panthers would be to add talent in the draft and make a move for Jimmy Garoppolo. That could make them more competitive in the short term and potentially help Rhule’s job security.

NFL offseason brilliant moves, head scratchers and power shifts

(FYI: "Fitzgerald" refers to Jason Fitzgerald OverTheCap.com)

Numerous articles have pointed to the notion that a veteran quarterback acquisition would be more beneficial to Matt Rhule than drafting a rookie.

Joe Person's article from a while back brought up the idea that Scott Fitterer might prefer the rookie route as "the right way" to address the quarterback issue.

So who ultimately wins the debate?

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1