• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam will get one more shot this year.

Jmac

3 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Having been to games during the Rhule, Tepper, Darnold era, I see no way the franchise can trot Darnold back out there 

I’m having a hard time even seeing Rhule back out there much less Darnold 

people who only see this team on tv have no idea how ugly game day has gotten 

incompetence on a pro level is not easily forgiveable by the home fans  

I look for the Panthers to get a LT  at 6 in the draft if one is there

Then, i see them  either getting Mayfield or Jimmy one a one year rental for a next year 3rd or 4th if that trading team takes half the salary   

they may also trade to get a qb in the second rd to groom in addition to either mayfield or Jimmy 

i would not be surprised at a release of Darnold 

after all, what’s worse for Rhule then the media constantly reminding him of his mishandling of the most important position on the field then having an $18 million backup as the tv cameras pan to him handling the clipboard 

if no LT is there, and no trade partner, then all bets are off. DE or Kyle Hamilton, come on down 

Tepper will not let Rhule trot Darnold out there again. 

Tepper wants fans in the seats and Darnold ain't gonna do it.  The man tried to trade the bank for Watson for goodness sake.

You will not see him starting for the Panthers again. I would almost bet you will see Baker behind center before you will see Sam.

• Pie 1

Let Sam have another crack at it. We were all singing his praises until week four. And then the other teams found our defense's weaknesses, leaving us exposed. 

In the Vikings game, Sam pretty much led the comeback purely on his own shoulders and we'd have won the game had our defense not been completely gassed by the end of the third quarter.

As bad as he was (and he was soooo bad in some games), a case for extenuating circumstances and bad play calling can be made in almost every case. Having Butterfingers Bobby Anderson over on the sidelines chewing him out didn't help either.

On the less nice side of it, Rhule and Fit gave up the ship for Darnold and tied us to him for two years minimum, so let them ride that ship until it sinks or finally makes it into port.

And for Pete's sake, don't let those guys try AGAIN to get us a franchise QB and waste a good draft slot. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Tepper will not let Rhule trot Darnold out there again. 

Tepper wants fans in the seats and Darnold ain't gonna do it.  The man tried to trade the bank for Watson for goodness sake.

You will not see him starting for the Panthers again. I would almost bet you will see Baker behind center before you will see Sam.

Absolutely agree. 
it is unfortunate this has all been self inflicted 

at this point how the Panthers got to chicken poo doesn’t matter.  

They’ve  got to go from chicken poo to somewhat digestible chicken salad quickly 

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

That top 10 stuff wasn't worth that much, IMO. 

Brown isn't nearly as stout a run stopper as Star. Not even in the same class. That's the issue. Brown generated better pocket pressure but he is very weak in run support. That's the massive disappointment.

YGM is a fine player but he's probably going to max out as a decent rotational guy. I have no issue with him but I don't think any of us expect him to develop into a serious pass rush threat. He's a role player and likely not a starter, at that. Hopefully he does develop but I can't say he is likely to become a core member of this team.

Pretty much all the rest of the guys you are talking about are journeymen or role players. I heard plenty say similar things about Jones or Fox but they just turned out to be mediocre. That's all fine and well but, again, I am saying that our core is extremely thin. 

I can't get excited about these offseaosn moves until some actually pan out. Honestly, what was the last free agency signing that really panned out other than Reddick?

Your opinion which I understand based on disappointment in this coach and Owner.. 

I'm just more encouraged by more adults being in the room and the HC taking a step back on Roster decisions..

21 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Your opinion which I understand based on disappointment in this coach and Owner.. 

I'm just more encouraged by more adults being in the room and the HC taking a step back on Roster decisions..

I am not convinced there are adults in the room and definitely not convinced that they are calling the shots.

I am not part of the "Fitterer is a genius" cult.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Cool your opinion.. 

Yes. But you never did answer that question. What are the free agents that we have hit on outside Reddick? It's largely been a bunch of whiffs. 

Hence why I said I can't get excited yet about the guys you are referencing that we signed. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Yes. But you never did answer that question. What are the free agents that we have hit on outside Reddick? It's largely been a bunch of whiffs. 

Hence why I said I can't get excited yet about the guys you are referencing that we signed. 

Robby Anderson, Luvu, Hartfield 

Edited by WOW!!

12 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Robby Anderson, Luvu, Hartfield 

I don't see why that matters when my Hope's are based on this new Configuration of coaches and Fitt having more power.. Which is new to this offseason not last years.. Having stronger more experienced voices in the room seem to be the difference in Eflin and Eriving compare to Bozeman and Colbert..

21 hours ago, pantherj said:

It's the right thing to do at this point. I never wanted Sam, but it's time for his final prove it season. No more excuses. If he flops then we will have a goldmine of high draft picks going into the 2023 draft and that's huge. The defense is essentially built, the offense will be ready after we take a LT (except QB), and all we'll really need is one the top QBs in the 2023 draft. Then the rest of the 2023 draft can be used to fill in empty spots and add depth. That sets us up nicely in 2024 assuming the QB pans out.

2022 is just not salvageable unless Sam takes a big leap forward in play. 2022 is Sam's season. He decides our fate.

With a better Oline Sam will be better (unless his PTSD is too severe).  He won't be great and not good enough to save Rhule.  Rhule needs to go back to college.  He is not an NFL coach.  He has had 2 chances to pick a QB. He needs to live with his 2nd try.  Tepper who is reportedly embarrassed, hopefully will veto any attempt by Rhule to mortgage the future.  I am never a person who advocates tanking. I am saying...fix the Oline, make Rhule live with his decisions.  The team will be set up well for the next HC.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am not convinced there are adults in the room and definitely not convinced that they are calling the shots.

I am not part of the "Fitterer is a genius" cult.

Me, neither, on Fitterer. I think he played musical chairs with all those trades last draft and we got about what you'd expect from it, a handful of mehs and some clear misses.

And before you say, "But what about Jaycee Horn???" Well, he did look good, for a Panther. He was like the tallest dandelion in a yard about to be mowed. 

Fitterer's genius extended to those O-line pickups and the Darnold deal. We can call them Rhule's babies, but that's just deflecting. And he at least had a part of the extension pick up for Darnold before a single snap was played AND the Butterfingers Bobby Anderson new contract. 

We're going to have to see some real magic this time around for Fitterer not to go down as the worst GM of the last four GMs here. To be the best of that bunch wouldn't take much a leap to clear the bar, but he's tripped and fallen on his face trying to do it so far.

At this point, he appears as out of his performance tier as Rhule has.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1