• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bold prediction

Zod

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm mainly talking about the staff and the QB situation. You need two factors on the field to be competitive - a coach and a QB. Those are the two MUST HAVES. You can find elite teams with weaknesses at virtually every other position group but you gotta have a QB and if you aren't strong virtually everywhere else then you better have a HC too.

That can be true, but I don't think its absolute.  RR didn't all of sudden become a great coach in 2015 then return to mediocrity in 2016.  In 2015 the OL stayed healthy, the stingy D stole the ball and Cam played out of his mind.   The exact opposite happened last year.

It is becoming clearer that McDermott had a lot to do with 2015.  RR gets credit for bringing those pieces together, including McDermott, but once the season is rolling, there are a lot of key factors and I just don't think that RR's in season coaching made 2015. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, poundaway said:

That can be true, but I don't think its absolute.  RR didn't all of sudden become a great coach in 2015 then return to mediocrity in 2016.  In 2015 the OL stayed healthy, the stingy D stole the ball and Cam played out of his mind.   The exact opposite happened last year.

It is becoming clearer that McDermott had a lot to do with 2015.  RR gets credit for bringing those pieces together, including McDermott, but once the season is rolling, there are a lot of key factors and I just don't think that RR's in season coaching made 2015. 

Rivera was a very solid NFL HC.  Like a John Fox type. 

and you pair a great QB with that tier HC

Matt Rhule is NOT that tier HC. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Rivera was a very solid NFL HC.  Like a John Fox type.

Ron Riveria has had 3 winning season in 11 years as head coach.  Fox had 3 winning seasons with Panthers out of 9.   Unlike Ron, he did have 3 out of 4 winning seasons in Denver, but he was a disaster in Chicago with out a single winning season.   Both of them won 52% of their games, neither has won a Superbowl.  What you call solid, I call mediocre, but fair enough.

Rhule has had 2 losing seasons so its safe to put him in the sucks category.  

The question becomes, if Rhule has 3 winning seasons out of 11 here, are you going to call him solid?

10 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Ron Riveria has had 3 winning season in 11 years as head coach.  Fox had 3 winning seasons with Panthers out of 9.   Unlike Ron, he did have 3 out of 4 winning seasons in Denver, but he was a disaster in Chicago with out a single winning season.   Both of them won 52% of their games, neither has won a Superbowl.  What you call solid, I call mediocre, but fair enough.

The question becomes, if Rhule has 3 winning seasons out of 11 here, are you going to call him solid?

Ron also had Cam and Luke. Foxy had some great players, but I'm not sure he had ones like Cam and Luke. Rivera should have been able to do more, but didn't.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Rivera's first two seasons were losing seasons as well, and he started off 1-3 in his third season before Riverboat Ron was born. The team definitely showed much more promise under Rivera, but by this logic, you could also say "Rivera has had 2 losing seasons (to start his NFL coaching career) so it's safe to put him in the sucks category" as well.

Not trying to defend Rhule here. I like the changes made regarding staff and players this season, and I'm hoping to see a big step in year 3 like we did for Rivera. Rhule did show promise in season 1, but without the ability to finish games for whatever reason in year 1. But year 2 was just -- Oof... hopeless.

We'll see how this year goes, but you can't put somebody in the "he sucks" category after 2 seasons. Bellichick must be one of the worst ever. His first 3 seasons were losing records. Hell, 5 of his first 6 seasons as head coach were losing records.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

Ron also had Cam and Luke. Foxy had some great players, but I'm not sure he had ones like Cam and Luke. Rivera should have been able to do more, but didn't.

That's my assessment.  I think RR had an awesome QB and great LB core.  He definitely had more to work with than Rhule has.  With the talent we had on the field, an argument could be made that we under performed some of those years under RR.

• Pie 2

26 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Yeah, again, Fox and Ron were solid NFL coaches.   Breaking them down doesn’t change the tier that they reside in.

Rhule will make franchise history this year with his 3rd consecutive losing season.  He is a college college.  Simple as that.   He is a solid college coach. 

• Poo 1

10 minutes ago, poundaway said:

That's my assessment.  I think RR had an awesome QB and great LB core.  He definitely had more to work with than Rhule has.  With the talent we had on the field, an argument could be made that we under performed some of those years under RR.

Ron didn’t inherit Cam and Luke.  Ron went out and got them.  Ron built the Ron era Panthers.   Ron had more to work with because of the decisions Ron made.

Rhule was allowed to do whatever he wanted.  He opted for Sam and Baylor/Temple guys.  Rhule is why Rhule is working with that he has.  

3 minutes ago, EgoDogg said:

Rivera's first two seasons were losing seasons as well, and he started off 1-3 in his third season before Riverboat Ron was born. The team definitely showed much more promise under Rivera, but by this logic, you could also say "Rivera has had 2 losing seasons (to start his NFL coaching career) so it's safe to put him in the sucks category" as well.

Not trying to defend Rhule here. I like the changes made regarding staff and players this season, and I'm hoping to see a big step in year 3 like we did for Rivera. Rhule did show promise in season 1, but without the ability to finish games for whatever reason in year 1. But year 2 was just -- Oof... hopeless.

We'll see how this year goes, but you can't put somebody in the "he sucks" category after 2 seasons. Bellichick must be one of the worst ever. His first 3 seasons were losing records. Hell, 5 of his first 6 seasons as head coach were losing records.

I agree, that its bit early to make a final judgement on Rhule.  Many huddlers have made up their mind. IF he had been fired though, the only assessment we could make would be, he sucked. 

Ron went 12-4 and 1st in the NFCS his third season.  Looking at where we are and our schedule, that is a tall order, with Sam Darnold and a 3rd round rookie at QB.  Right now we're favored to win 3 games, and the line is at 5.  Rhule has a deep hole to dig himself out of.

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Ron didn’t inherit Cam and Luke.  Ron went out and got them.  Ron built the Ron era Panthers.   Ron had more to work with because of the decisions Ron made.

Rhule was allowed to do whatever he wanted.  He opted for Sam and Baylor/Temple guys.  Rhule is why Rhule is working with that he has.  

You're right, and still he had 3 winning seasons out of 9.  He has yet to have a winning season with the commies.

If Rhule has 3 winning seasons out of 9, are you going to call him "very solid"?

I think Tepper looks at the first Saint's game in 2021 a as vision of what last season could have been... before CMC, Horn and the OL went down.  That  historic drubbing was the worst offensive performance by the Saints in the Payton era.    Tepper questions whether the Saints injuries, covid and home field advantage were the most important factors there.  If he's right, we're going to surprise a lot of people and beat some teams we shouldn't.  If he's wrong, its going to be a long season.