• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Rhule really think he has 5 years?

NAS

and if we put aside the fact that Joe Brady was a newb OC.  He was a passing guy.  Another thing that didn't fit with Matt Rhule or his 2021 Sam Darnold experiment. 

Which brings into question the McAdoo pairing w/ Rhule and Sam Darnold.   I think McAdoo was literally the only name that was willing to take the job.  McAdoo had spent the last 3 years getting rejected. 

McAdoo's 4 years in NY as OC and HC? He was top 9 all 4 seasons in pass attempts.   So Matt Rhule just acquired another coach that believes the answer is found in the pass.    His track record goes against what Matt Rhule keeps claiming he is about and we are about.

Not that I disagree with the pass game being the emphasis.  It should be.  That is where the answers are found in today's game.  

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I'm done with this thread.  In summary, RR did not start in a "similar" position to Rhule and Joe Brady has not shown to be "super talented."

Rhule has made a bunch of mistakes.  Firing Brady corrected one. I hope he does better this year.  I like what he's done so far in the offseason. 

I don't know about you? But that was rather cathartic for me. 

20 hours ago, CRA said:

Can you list the non-subjective markers that you believe make Rhule owner of the most difficult coaching job anyone has ever faced? 

I mean, I get Covid existed.  And every coach from HS, to college to the NFL were all tasked to navigate that with no blueprint. 

I posted all the players lost a few posts back, if you cannt find them I will post again. Roughly entire starting DL&top depth, bradberry, luke, Cam(was wavied), Olsen(""), good depth all over. It was the largest turnover in lost stats from one year to the next. Lost close to 60% of the total stats%total snaps. He was the only HC to have a new QB, OC, and DC. Both the OC and DC never called a NFL play, didnt get ANY preseason games, OTAs, mini, or training camp to gain exp. That didnt happen until after coofus hit and the NFL voided all practices. KK was injured/overpaid. Thomas Davis left and Ryan Kalil two of leaders in the room were out during this as well. The dead cap hell, most in the first two year(some is his fault..teddy). Do you remember QB holding illegal practices?? Teddy could not throw to his new teammates until couple weeks before the start of the season. When from the one of the oldest teams to the youngest within 2 years. If you want the detail list of players, I can find it. Panthers were a bottom 3 team at best, during the very beginning of Rhules start and old.....Youre not believing the ESPN worst team trash are you?? Id dare to test ANY team in the NFL that has more roster speed than panthers, hope that leads to wins...

8 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I posted all the players lost a few posts back, if you cannt find them I will post again. Roughly entire starting DL&top depth, bradberry, luke, Cam(was wavied), Olsen(""), good depth all over. It was the largest turnover in lost stats from one year to the next. Lost close to 60% of the total stats%total snaps. He was the only HC to have a new QB, OC, and DC. Both the OC and DC never called a NFL play, didnt get ANY preseason games, OTAs, mini, or training camp to gain exp. That didnt happen until after coofus hit and the NFL voided all practices. KK was injured/overpaid. Thomas Davis left and Ryan Kalil two of leaders in the room were out during this as well. The dead cap hell, most in the first two year(some is his fault..teddy). Do you remember QB holding illegal practices?? Teddy could not throw to his new teammates until couple weeks before the start of the season. When from the one of the oldest teams to the youngest within 2 years. If you want the detail list of players, I can find it. Panthers were a bottom 3 team at best, during the very beginning of Rhules start and old.....Youre not believing the ESPN worst team trash are you?? Id dare to test ANY team in the NFL that has more roster speed than panthers, hope that leads to wins...

I guess my issue is nice percentage of the things you list…..were choices Matt Rhule made.  They weren’t forced upon him or inherited.  

for example you stating he had coaches that had never called a play in the NFL as OC and DC.  He chose that.  He created that needless hurdle.   So to say other coaches had it is easier because they had experienced coaches was something the HCs dictated. 

same with a lot do those players he “lost”.  He controlled and decided on a lot of that. 

Bad situations just exist.  Rhule isn’t unique.  Not in Carolina or the league.  Look at Atlanta.  New HC.  Think they are kicking off with the most dead cap space in the history of the NFL.    That’s rough.  He lost Matt Ryan.  Who was playing at a higher level than 2019 Cam.  He lost his most talented WR to suspension all year.  He lost his most productive WR to Tampa Bay.  No one cares. 

I mean you can squabble this year or that year ranks slightly worse or whatever but it really doesn’t matter IMO.  Train wrecks are train wrecks in large part.  A good coach is going to start to show he is good coach even in a bad spot.  Rhule isn’t doing that. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

I guess my issue is nice percentage of the things you list…..were choices Matt Rhule made.  They weren’t forced upon him or inherited.  

for example you stating he had coaches that had never called a play in the NFL as OC and DC.  He chose that.  He created that needless hurdle.   So to say other coaches had it is easier because they had experienced coaches was something the HCs dictated. 

same with a lot do those players he “lost”.  He controlled and decided on a lot of that. 

Bad situations just exist.  Rhule isn’t unique.  Not in Carolina or the league.  Look at Atlanta.  New HC.  Think they are kicking off with the most dead cap space in the history of the NFL.    That’s rough.  He lost Matt Ryan.  Who was playing at a higher level than 2019 Cam.  He lost his most talented WR to suspension all year.  He lost his most productive WR to Tampa Bay.  No one cares. 

I mean you can squabble this year or that year ranks slightly worse or whatever but it really doesn’t matter IMO.  Train wrecks are train wrecks in large part.  A good coach is going to start to show he is good coach even in a bad spot.  Rhule isn’t doing that. 

He chose them *before* the NFL changed the league rules. Or youre going to believe Rhule know he wasnt getting any hands on practices?? Even the draft process was totally different. If you've been in the league for 20 years and had a vet team, youd had it easy compared to someone like Rhule.  

When you have 54 million in dead cap, it forces you to play lesser players, lose good players(bradberry), and cut good players (cam and olsen). Same HUGE dead cap next year as well. Atl screwed that up with flirting with Watson, even Ryan said that publicly. Not like the coach signed there with the plan of cutting ryan, in fact he wanted to build around Ryan if you listen to pressers. 

Rhule is big lair and made more than few mistakes, especially at QB....BUT I ask again who had it harder as a first time NFL coach?? It is not RR, Fox, or Asmith...... nope not in the same galaxy. Campers had the panthers in the NFC championship game in year 2 due to the NFL giving too much help, so its not him either....btw jags did the same. 

15 hours ago, Basbear said:

He chose them *before* the NFL changed the league rules. Or youre going to believe Rhule know he wasnt getting any hands on practices?? Even the draft process was totally different. If you've been in the league for 20 years and had a vet team, youd had it easy compared to someone like Rhule.  

When you have 54 million in dead cap, it forces you to play lesser players, lose good players(bradberry), and cut good players (cam and olsen). Same HUGE dead cap next year as well. Atl screwed that up with flirting with Watson, even Ryan said that publicly. Not like the coach signed there with the plan of cutting ryan, in fact he wanted to build around Ryan if you listen to pressers. 

Rhule is big lair and made more than few mistakes, especially at QB....BUT I ask again who had it harder as a first time NFL coach?? It is not RR, Fox, or Asmith...... nope not in the same galaxy. Campers had the panthers in the NFC championship game in year 2 due to the NFL giving too much help, so its not him either....btw jags did the same. 

It’s  still a Rhule decision and it likely was going to be pretty bad one in a non-Covid world too.  It's still a Rhule creation.  

and I don’t think the thought experiment of but if Rhule would have known Covid was coming he would have left Phil Snow and others in college really works 

And again, the cap didn’t force him to cut a lot of those vets you named.  He wanted to.  Most of those were more moving on decisions from the prior era and not cap issues.  Which is fine.  Bradberry was a cap one.   Luke hurt.  But that’s really it.  Just can’t then use it as some crutch given he wanted it that way. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

6 hours ago, CRA said:

and if we put aside the fact that Joe Brady was a newb OC.  He was a passing guy.  Another thing that didn't fit with Matt Rhule or his 2021 Sam Darnold experiment. 

Which brings into question the McAdoo pairing w/ Rhule and Sam Darnold.   I think McAdoo was literally the only name that was willing to take the job.  McAdoo had spent the last 3 years getting rejected. 

McAdoo's 4 years in NY as OC and HC? He was top 9 all 4 seasons in pass attempts.   So Matt Rhule just acquired another coach that believes the answer is found in the pass.    His track record goes against what Matt Rhule keeps claiming he is about and we are about.

Not that I disagree with the pass game being the emphasis.  It should be.  That is where the answers are found in today's game.  

Why do you suppose Rhules doesn't want to pass?

How was McAdoo rejected the last 3 seasons. He had jobs. 

Rhule says we must be able to run the ball. He never said he wants to only run the ball. 

Your obvious hatred of Rhule seems to make you see everything through special glasses that leads you to unreasonable conclusions based on this bias. 

You hate Rhule. We understand that. But you should understand that when you're wearing red lenses everything will always be red but it doesn't mean everything is really red. Try taking off the glasses every once in a while. 

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Why do you suppose Rhules doesn't want to pass?

How was McAdoo rejected the last 3 seasons. He had jobs. 

Rhule says we must be able to run the ball. He never said he wants to only run the ball. 

Your obvious hatred of Rhule seems to make you see everything through special glasses that leads you to unreasonable conclusions based on this bias. 

You hate Rhule. We understand that. But you should understand that when you're wearing red lenses everything will always be red but it doesn't mean everything is really red. Try taking off the glasses every once in a while. 

Matt Rhule has never lead pass heavy teams.   And when he talks it is always more of a John Fox type approach IMO.  His talk on many levels never matches the action. 

He has been trying to land OC jobs for the last 3 years.   Going from former HC to only the worst team in the NFL giving you a position job seems like rejection. 

the Rhule fan club keeps talking hatred.  I’m just talking about a the fact we have an incompetent college HC running things and the disaster season we are coming off of.  Water is wet.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

20 hours ago, CRA said:

It’s  still a Rhule decision and it likely was going to be pretty bad one in a non-Covid world too.  It's still a Rhule creation.  

and I don’t think the thought experiment of but if Rhule would have known Covid was coming he would have left Phil Snow and others in college really works 

And again, the cap didn’t force him to cut a lot of those vets you named.  He wanted to.  Most of those were more moving on decisions from the prior era and not cap issues.  Which is fine.  Bradberry was a cap one.   Luke hurt.  But that’s really it.  Just can’t then use it as some crutch given he wanted it that way. 

I finally figured you and others out. You have confused Tepper hate for Rhule hate. That is it!!

You think Rhule would be the first coach in NFL history not to hire his bros, drinking friendos, and long-time coaching friends? O my, you know better. Tepper- "I want you to build my team" Rhule- "I get to have full control of hiring...."(before he finishes) Tepper- "DONE". Cutting Cam and Olsen was the right move, even if you will not admit that. Picking 2 gloves, wrong among other mistakes. Still until you come up with a few names..... NO one just one name that had the journey Rhule had as 1st time NFL coach.... The fact remains- hardest start in NFL history. 

• Pie 1

On 5/18/2022 at 5:01 PM, Basbear said:

one just one name that had the journey Rhule had as 1st time NFL coach.... The fact remains- hardest start in NFL history. 

Ask these guys were new head coaches in 2020. All of them dealt with the same COVID issues. All but one has posted a better record than Matt Rhule and the one that didn't is no longer a head coach.

Kevin Stefanski - Browns. 19-14

Mike McCarthy - Cowboys. 18-15

Ron Rivera - Washington.  14-19

Matt Rhule - Panthers. 10-23

Joe Judge - Giants. 10-23 [Judge was fired following the 2021 season]

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, trueblade said:

Ask these guys were new head coaches in 2020. All of them dealt with the same COVID issues. All but one has posted a better record than Matt Rhule and the one that didn't is no longer a head coach.

Kevin Stefanski - Browns. 19-14

Mike McCarthy - Cowboys. 18-15

Ron Rivera - Washington.  14-19

Matt Rhule - Panthers. 10-23

Joe Judge - Giants. 10-23 [Judge was fired following the 2021 season]

Did those coaches lose nearly 60% of last years snaps and stats?

RR and Mike were also not first time HC, NFL allows more practice time and film sessions for first time HC. I also think RR was the only one besides Rhule not to have 2019 QB starter return. Rhule lost 3 HOFers, one still in his late prime.  Talent gap was wide from Browns&Blowboys to Panthers. The draft capital was wide from Giants&WTFs to Panthers. None of those teams had anywhere close to 55 million in dead cap first year, followed by another 50+ dead cap year following yr. Panthers were either the oldest or top 3 oldest during Rhules first year from 2019-2020. Last year they were the youngest, in just two years. Thats a lot of roster turnover, given the fossil team leftd for Rhule. 

None of those team had any of that. Try again...