• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Panthers and Baker Mayfield: Minicamp could boost trade talks with Browns

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Right? I mean right now we have Sam Darnold and a 3rd round rookie. I would hope we would have mild interest in most QBs that are possibly available. 

but if you are trying to build something from the ground up.....and keep trading away draft picks for QBs that almost everyone knows aren't the answer to anything?  Seems like a pretty dysfunctional rebuild. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, CRA said:

but if you are trying to build something from the ground up.....and keep trading away draft picks for QBs that almost everyone knows aren't the answer to anything?  Seems like a pretty dysfunctional rebuild. 

If it's a 5th to 7th rounder, those aren't particularly relevant. 

Anything in the 1st to 3rd round is pure fuging insanity. Should be a fireable offense after the Darnold deal.

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, CRA said:

It's called treading water but some see it as an improvement. Poop in and poop out. We already have a slightly worse version of that and a rookie who needs to see the field.

Just another reason why Rhule should have been fired already and be talking about another staff's game plan to improve in a 2 ro 3 year window and not this staff trying to not fail again in year 3.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I definitely don't think this is a fake story. Too much smoke for there not to be fire. We just don't know how big the fire is or if it's actually still burning.

I think that's the rub. It definitely was a story, but is it still a story? Perhaps. I think this story goes away at the beginning of training camp if a trade hasn't happened by then. Any later and it's simply just not ideal to bring someone in like Baker that late. You are just setting them up to fail, kinda like Cam last year.

1 minute ago, Luciu5 said:

I think that's the rub. It definitely was a story, but is it still a story? Perhaps. I think this story goes away at the beginning of training camp if a trade hasn't happened by then. Any later and it's simply just not ideal to bring someone in like Baker that late. You are just setting them up to fail, kinda like Cam last year.

I think it will still be smoking depending on TC reports. If Corral is really struggling, I could see those fires still being stoked. Even if Mayfield is gone, it will be Jimmy G.

These stories will always follow a QB controversy.

26 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If it's a 5th to 7th rounder, those aren't particularly relevant. 

Anything in the 1st to 3rd round is pure fuging insanity. Should be a fireable offense after the Darnold deal.

well, it all depends on the cost. 

We traded a 2nd, 4th and 6th for Sam Darnold. 

I would be surprised if Carolina somehow lands a better QB for a 7th rounder.  I still think Clev has leverage to just sit on Baker and wait for injuries vs giving him up for a 7th rounder.    

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, it all depends on the cost. 

We traded a 2nd, 4th and 6th for Sam Darnold. 

I would be surprised if Carolina somehow lands a better QB for a 7th rounder.  I still think Clev has leverage to just sit on Baker and wait for injuries vs giving him up for a 7th rounder.    

I think they already tried that and found out the market wasn't that big for Baker. Plus there is the fact that Jimmy G will be on the block shortly so they won't have the only starting caliber QB available.

They are more likely just trying to get rid of a distraction. I don't think it is about maximizing value at the moment.

Mayfield is a massive upgrade over what we have right this moment, but I really hope we keep playing hardball. I don't even know if he would be helpful to Corral/any young QB's development - hard to evaluate what kind of teammate he is. And ideally we have some idea of what we have with the young signal caller heading into next draft, which I feel like will be hard to do if you give Rhule a veteran with some (albeit apparently limited) talent.

19 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think they already tried that and found out the market wasn't that big for Baker. Plus there is the fact that Jimmy G will be on the block shortly so they won't have the only starting caliber QB available.

They are more likely just trying to get rid of a distraction. I don't think it is about maximizing value at the moment.

Well everyone is healthy right now and has a plan.   The cap hit is what it is.  So why not just sit on the asset if Carolina wants to only give you a 7th.  QBs go down every year. 

And he isn’t much a distraction off to the side not being part of the team.  

I’d take him for a 7th. I just think the cost will be much more.   Think the deal would already been done if they were willing to go that low.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

"Mild interest" would be the key phrase.  If we can upgrade our QB from bottom of the league to mid-tier for some later round picks then I'm not 100% against it.  So far we have shown good restraint and aren't budging unless we get a deal that makes financial and long term sense.  There is always a chance that a younger QB like Baker could turn out even better over here especially if he stays healthy.  Plus he is on his last year so if he doesn't wow us we can let him walk.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Well everyone is healthy right now and has a plan.   The cap hit is what it is.  So why not just sit on the asset if Carolina wants to only give you a 7th.  QBs go down every year. 

I’d take him for a 7th. I just think the cost will be much more.   Think the deal would already been done if they were willing to go that low.

I think the cost will be fairly low, TBH.

Also, it isn't very common for starting QB's to get knocked out in TC. 

We will see what happens. My bet is they move him before August.

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

It may look like next year's 5th, a future 4th, and Sam Darnold for Baker with each team paying the new player's salary.  It helps us unload Sam and gives Cleveland a backup plus some future picks.  Baker is our immediate starter and there is less pressure on getting Corral on the field early in the season.  Just throwing a scenario out there...

18 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

"Mild interest" would be the key phrase.  If we can upgrade our QB from bottom of the league to mid-tier for some later round picks then I'm not 100% against it.  So far we have shown good restraint and aren't budging unless we get a deal that makes financial and long term sense.  There is always a chance that a younger QB like Baker could turn out even better over here especially if he stays healthy.  Plus he is on his last year so if he doesn't wow us we can let him walk.

I don’t think we are viewed that way though.  I think we are viewed as desperate trying play like we aren’t.  

and I’m sort using Sam’s trade value as a measuring stick.    While I think Baker could be had for cheaper given the bad blood I think some of stuff talked about just too low.    If we could get him for a 7th? He’d already be here.   The money discussion is also a pick debate IMO. 

• Beer 1