• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

some tweets from OTAs...qb are throwing

4 hours ago, frankw said:

Yep his arm talent was the sole trait that many here tried to use to make sense of the trade. But we learned quickly the processing ability just is not there and no amount of coaching or playing more will change it. The Jets had a QB who came off the practice squad post Darnold trade and had better results than anything Sam Darnold has done in college or the NFL. It's a wrap.

Noting a brand new coaching staff for the Jets last year. Darnold never had the Salah led staff. 

1 minute ago, falconlynx said:

Is this an issue with Darnold, or an issue with the OC?

I really don’t care if Darnold succeeds, but if you’re trying to be objective, he’s never had a good OC situation and it’s not like any other QBs on the teams he’s been on have excelled.

Unfortunately for the NFL QB, so much of whether you make it or not is getting in the right system with the right coaches on the right team.

Look at Matt Stafford for a recent example. He was just so-so to me until he got on the Rams and he went to the next level. 

It may be Sam Darnold has just been very unlucky so far in the support resources around him. Will be very interesting to see what happens this coming season. 

Stafford was always good at Detroit.  That's why the Rams knew he was the missing piece and a big upgrade over Goff.  He regularly broke 4000 passing yards with a 90 plus rating.  There was just not much talent around him which prevented him from getting wins and making the playoffs.  Our offense dropped dramatically from Teddy to Darnold.  Same OC and pretty much the same players which tells me Sam is a good bit below Teddy who is pretty much a solid backup. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Stafford was always good at Detroit.  That's why the Rams knew he was the missing piece and a big upgrade over Goff.  He regularly broke 4000 passing yards with a 90 plus rating.  There was just not much talent around him which prevented him from getting wins and making the playoffs.  Our offense dropped dramatically from Teddy to Darnold.  Same OC and pretty much the same players which tells me Sam is a good bit below Teddy who is pretty much a solid backup. 

The same OC, Joe Brady, who had obviously been figured out and was unable to adjust. Once film is out there of what you like to do, it’s a whole new ballgame.

As a frequent study of the game and tendencies, I feel you’re using a poor comparison. 

6 minutes ago, falconlynx said:

Noting a brand new coaching staff for the Jets last year. Darnold never had the Salah led staff. 

Yeah but he had an all new change of scenery here and still threw the same awful interceptions. I just don't get how people are still trying to argue about this. My word let's move on the Jets certainly did and at our expense.

8 minutes ago, falconlynx said:

The same OC, Joe Brady, who had obviously been figured out and was unable to adjust. Once film is out there of what you like to do, it’s a whole new ballgame.

As a frequent study of the game and tendencies, I feel you’re using a poor comparison. 

How many OCs wouldn't look worse going from Teddy to Sam Darnold though?  Regardless if Brady was great, average or bad......whatever he was, he was going to look worse in 2021 simply because of Sam Darnold.   And you can apply that to Matt Rhule too.  But Matt Rhule wanted Sam so it kinda null and voids that on him. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, falconlynx said:

Look at Matt Stafford for a recent example. He was just so-so to me until he got on the Rams and he went to the next level. 

That basically means you weren't paying attention. It was rare the season that Matt Stafford was not one of the best 8 QB's in the NFL. He looked like it and he played like it. You just couldn't see it because he was on a franchise that lost all the time.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, falconlynx said:

Teams can figure out an OC during a season, just look at previous game tapes.  It's not like we didn't know what Teddy was going to do (check down and throw it short of the line of scrimmage).  He just wasn't going to pull a Sam and roll out and throw it directly into the CB's hands on the wrong team.  He can't read defenses so once the defenses took away his first read that is all she wrote.  Sam looked decent early in the season when his first read was open or he could just run it in the endzone without going through progressions.  Then teams watched tape (during the season) and took this away from him while he crashed and burned.  The same thing happened at NYJ (seeing "ghosts" means he has no clue what he is looking at). I mean he is on year 5 now and shown zero improvement.  It's not like the Chargers/Bengals had some great staff they surrounded their young QBs with from the beginning.  The good QBs can still look decent with a weak staff around them.  Darnold just makes a weak staff look worse...

24 minutes ago, falconlynx said:

if you’re trying to be objective, he’s never had a good OC situation

If you're going to be objective, there's no guarantee that he has a good OC situation now either. If McAdoo was a good OC, he wouldn't have been on the league's scrap heap the last couple years where the Panthers found him and would have been an OC somewhere else like what happens to other failed HCs.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I just don't personally believe Bozeman and Corbett are going to be much more than average players. 

To be fair, they would still be an upgrade over Elflein/Miller if that's the case.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

If you're going to be objective, there's no guarantee that he has a good OC situation now either. If McAdoo was a good OC, he wouldn't have been on the league's scrap heap the last couple years where the Panthers found him and would have been an OC somewhere else like what happens to other failed HCs.

Maybe he was waiting on the right situation? I.e. pick an OC situation where he’s got a chance to become HC if things go sideways or where he has the authority to make certain decisions. 

When you’ve made millions, you can really do what your want. 

Based on his previous performance as an OC and the way he’s handled himself in the role so far, I’m really looking forward to this offense under McAdoo. 

5 minutes ago, falconlynx said:

Maybe he was waiting on the right situation? I.e. pick an OC situation where he’s got a chance to become HC if things go sideways or where he has the authority to make certain decisions. 

Based on his previous performance as an OC and the way he’s handled himself in the role so far, I’m really looking forward to this offense under McAdoo. 

He was waiting on the right situation, saw Sam Darnold and was like "perfect!"  Seriously though, there would be cases of him turning down interviews if he was in such demand waiting for the perfect scenario.  The intermediate coach thing isn't the best way to become a head coach.  Unless he can completely turn the team around he would probably be replaced once the season is over.  The Raiders interm coach got them into the playoffs and way still replaced. 

• Beer 2

7 minutes ago, falconlynx said:

Maybe, but he was out of the league for a few years when he took the Jags' QB coach job. He lost it and the Panthers' got him from his consultant job in Dallas. That doesn't scream waiting for the right situation so much as I'll take anything as long as it keeps me in the NFL.

I'll wait to see what happens when they play games. Maybe McAdoo will show he's a good OC that can get the most out of his players. Maybe he'll show he was blessed or lucked into the Giants instead.

• Beer 1

Corral first, Sam as a veteran backup. We saw Cam struggle when they changed the defense to stop him from running, usually a spy. Cam was elite because if you took something away he adjusted, made you pay.

Sam's problem is he was never an elite pocket passer and never an elite runner, or shouldn't be. The NFL is great about taking away what you do best and they psychologically profile you also. It ain't easy. 

40 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He was waiting on the right situation, saw Sam Darnold and was like "perfect!"  Seriously though, there would be cases of him turning down interviews if he was in such demand waiting for the perfect scenario.  The intermediate coach thing isn't the best way to become a head coach.  Unless he can completely turn the team around he would probably be replaced once the season is over.  The Raiders interm coach got them into the playoffs and way still replaced. 

I mean he was interivewing for OC jobs.  He he wasn't getting them.  And they weren't great teams.  He also inverviewed for QB coach and didn't get those.  With bad teams.  The Jags (a bad team) did finally give him a job as a QB coach. 

I mean, maybe the league has it all wrong.  But failed HCs generally don't have a hard time falling back into coordinator jobs.  McAdoo struggled.  But maybe he doesn't have all the friendships other guys do.   Which could be part of that. 

• Beer 2