• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What went wrong? The Sam Darnold Experiment (Video)

CarolinaLivin

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

No we wouldn't.  Palmer is the best you can drag up and he never became anything but a game manager.  I stand by my statement. 

6 seasons with 25+ TDs. 6 seasons with 4000+ yards.

Dude, we'd sell our souls right now for prime Carson Palmer.

*Damn, I honestly didn't remember how good Palmer was until I looked it up. The guy is a borderline HOFer. Game manager... 😂 😂 😂

32 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Never draft or sign a qb from USC or Ohio State University.  He's a USC qb, enough said.

You could say the same about LSU with Flynn, Russell etc before Burrow.  Different coaches/systems mean a lot more than the school.  

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

6 seasons with 25+ TDs. 6 seasons with 4000+ yards.

Dude, we'd sell our souls right now for prime Carson Palmer.

*Damn, I honestly didn't remember how good Palmer was until I looked it up. The guy is a borderline HOFer. Game manager... 😂 😂 😂

Didn't help Cincinnati win poo.

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Didn't help Cincinnati win poo.

38-21 in Arizona.

Cinci's defense was bad to terrible for most of his years. When they had a good defense they went 10-6. Hell, they went 11-5 with a defense ranked in the bottom third.

Palmer wasn't great but he was consistently one of those solidly top 10, borderline top 5 type of QBs. If you wouldn't take that for our current Panthers you done gone crazy. 😂

I mean, we basically tried like hell to trade the future of the franchise for that type of QB while he was facing dozens of sexual misconduct allegations. Marinate on that one.

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

38-21 in Arizona.

Cinci's defense was bad to terrible for most of his years. When they had a good defense they went 10-6. Hell, they went 11-5 with a defense ranked in the bottom third.

Palmer wasn't great but he was consistently one of those solidly top 10, borderline top 5 type of QBs. If you wouldn't take that for our current Panthers you done gone crazy. 😂

I mean, we basically tried like hell to trade the future of the franchise for that type of QB while he was facing dozens of sexual misconduct allegations. Marinate on that one.

Carson seems similar to Strafford to me.  Always pretty solid but on a struggling team.  Strong arm, not very mobile but can excel with some talent around him.  

• Pie 5

14 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Correlation, not causation.

Don't necessarily agree. Alabama QB's get the same shade. I would argue that's because the talent disparity in college football is so insane. 

USC, Alabama and OSU routinely field All-Star casts of talent across the entire spectrum of the team that goes 2+ deep. 

That does make it a LOT easier to shine and look great. 90+% of the year you are just plain out talenting the other teams in front of you.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Carson seems similar to Strafford to me.  Always pretty solid but on a struggling team.  Strong arm, not very mobile but can excel with some talent around him.  

Stafford has better arm talent, IMO. 

Palmer is dramatically underappreciated for how good he was. I would take him 10 times out of 10 times over someone like Eli Manning.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Don't necessarily agree. Alabama QB's get the same shade. I would argue that's because the talent disparity in college football is so insane. 

USC, Alabama and OSU routinely field All-Star casts of talent across the entire spectrum of the team that goes 2+ deep. 

That does make it a LOT easier to shine and look great. 90+% of the year you are just plain out talenting the other teams in front of you.

Yep. The elite programs would still be borderline top 25 teams if they were playing their 2nd stringers. The talent discrepancy is massive.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. The elite programs would still be borderline top 25 teams if they were playing their 2nd stringers. The talent discrepancy is massive.

I mean, some of that list would still be top 10 teams with all their 2nd string playing. Alabama has definitely had years like that. 

Almost all the "bust" USC QB's were from an era when USC was unbelievably dominant in recruiting. All those guys had NFL caliber players around them almost every snap.

So, that is probably why you see some of those players struggle at the next level. Everyone is good in the NFL. Worst versus 32nd is a pretty small gap.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean, some of that list would still be top 10 teams with all their 2nd string playing. Alabama has definitely had years like that. 

Almost all the "bust" USC QB's were from an era when USC was unbelievably dominant in recruiting. All those guys had NFL caliber players around them almost every snap.

So, that is probably why you see some of those players struggle at the next level. Everyone is good in the NFL. Worst versus 32nd is a pretty small gap.

Yep. Elite talent can obviously come from anywhere. Just look at the NFL. All kinds of good players from small schools or "also ran" P5 programs. But when it comes to overall team talent, there's a massive gap between the elite programs and everyone else. Those rosters are stacked with 4 and 5 star recruits. The also ran get a small handful of those types of recruits per year. The elite programs pretty much don't even talk to you unless you are one of those guys. The elite small school talents were diamonds in the rough and/or late bloomers. Basically the NFL equivalents of late round or UDFA steals.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

38-21 in Arizona.

If you are picking a qb in their prime to add to your current team Carson Palmer's name would not be in the top 50 of the names anyone would choose. 

He was good but he was the cream of the crop from that school. No USC or OSU qbs for me. But that's just me.