• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers are gonna shock the world!

joemac

We did it in 2003 with a cocky Cajun backup QB, 2 determined RB's, a WE tandem no one had heard of and a defense who struck "quit" from their vocabulary. Thus, the Cardiac Cats. It was us vs the world. 

I'm not saying we can but I'm not saying we can't. It'll be fun to at least feel we have a chance to come back in games instead of knowing by the 4th quarter we're going to lose.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

Or it shows that they have been paying attention since the mastermind of the teams that have been 3-14 in one-score games since 2020 is still in place. Until he proves otherwise on the field, Rhule has 2 years of showing nothing indicating he's an NFL-caliber coach and it's completely fair to always have that 'but' at the end when analyzing the Panthers.

Will that change this season? Perhaps. Until then though, to quote John Fox, it is what it is.

Funny enough Ron Rivera was somewhere in that same ball park of 3-14 at the start of his coaching career. 

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Sam didn't hold the rookie touchdown record while playing only 14 games and become runner up for rookie of the year.  Sam didn't defeat a division rival in the playoffs that had dominated his team for decades.  Sam's deep ball accuracy is shlt while Baker's is top 10.  Sam looks nervous and scared in the pocket while Baker looks cocky as shlt.

Baker has over 60 TD passes and 3 ints in the redzone. 

Maybe Baker is just luckier than Sam, but we could use a bit a luck as well.

A reasonable case cannot be made that Sam is on par with Baker.  He's just not.  I can't believe there's so much Sam love here after last year. 

I really cannot believe there is one single serious Panthers fan around that would like to see Sam throw even 1 more pass in a Panthers uniform. 

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, joemac said:

I really cannot believe there is one single serious Panthers fan around that would like to see Sam throw even 1 more pass in a Panthers uniform. 

Dookie is dookie. Switching up the texture doesn’t change the taste.

I would and will be more excited to see what Corral has and where he is at later this year. Until then nothing has changed really.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Raleigh PF said:

Too many "ifs" for this team to predict more than a handful of wins. 

IF CMC can stay healthy (wonder what the Vegas line on that is?)

IF the revamped line can come together

IF Moore/Anderson/Marshall can produce

IF the TE position isn't a disaster

IF the defense can stop the run (Hi Derek Brown!)

IF Horn returns to form after serious injury

IF Baker returns to 2020 form

IF the coaching staff - the brand new coaching staff - can form a unified team and stop giving away games in the third quarter.

None of these are small "ifs". Good teams contending for playoffs don't have that many major question marks. For the Panthers, just about EVERYTHING has to go right for them to win enough games to contend. 

Very fair.   Some of those ifs are bigger  than others.

Even if CMC stays hurt, Foreman >>>>>Chuba.  The running game will be better.

Moore produces every year.  Anderson produces w/ good a QB.   Mayfield has a much much better deep ball than Teddy or Sam.  Don't forget Higgins who had 600 yards with Baker in 2020 in a crowded wr room.

Even if the line doesn't "come together", the odds that it will be anywhere near as bad as last year is unlikely.   

TE is a big IF.

We are not bottom of the  league in stopping the run.  We are 18th in total rushing yards allowed  and 8th in rushing yards allowed per attempt.  I know watching the games they kept getting 1st downs by running, but even there we are 18th in that category.  Had we kept Perryman we'd been better.  Littleton and Wilson will help here.  Brown needs a good year this year.  

On Horn, I was worried at the end of last season but all early indications is that Horn is back to form. 

Baker is returning to form.  Count on it.

3rd quarter slump was actually a continuation of the 2nd qrt slump and was pronounced on O side.  Joe Brady and Sam have been replaced.  I'll post on Lady Panthers thread the details.

As I think about your post, if those are the ifs, I actually really start looking forward to this year.

33 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

Funny enough Ron Rivera was somewhere in that same ball park of 3-14 at the start of his coaching career. 

Ron Rivera had generational talents on his roster and some guys that were great players. We have one in CMC but he cant stay healthy, im not even sure who else on the roster qualifies as a great player, much less generational. 

Ron was not a great coach either, but he rode on Cam and Lukes coattails, and never had back to back winning seasons.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Ron Rivera had generational talents on his roster and some guys that were great players. We have one in CMC but he cant stay healthy, im not even sure who else on the roster qualifies as a great player, much less generational. 

Ron was not a great coach either, but he rode on Cam and Lukes coattails, and never had back to back winning seasons.

DJ Moore is a great player.  Brian Burns is a great player, Taylor Moton is great, Jeremy Chinn is great. 

• Pie 1

Just now, joemac said:

DJ Moore is a great player.  Brian Burns is a great player, Taylor Moton is great, Jeremy Chinn is great. 

Moton is great.

Moore is great but probably better suited to be a number two than a number one.

Burns is great against the pass. The run, not so much.

Chinn is great when used in the proper role. We found out last year that safety probably isn't that role. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, joemac said:

To be a great player you need to be top 5 in the NFL at your position. They are good to very good players, but im not sure about great. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Moton is great.

Chinn is great when used in the proper role. We found out last year that safety probably isn't that role. 

I do think Moton is great or close to great and Chinn could be if used properly. 

I don see Burns or Moore as top 5 at their positions. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Moton is great.

6 minutes ago, joemac said:

So even if we call all of those guys great, we have a RT, WR, DE, SS, and a RB that cant stay healthy. Some guys will really have to step up this season if we are expecting to lure in a big name QB ready to win a super bowl as was suggested.