• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker passes physical. Now a Panther

Big Sexy

2 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Since it was obvious Cam was done?

The sad thing about Cam being done is we could have gotten those same 5 wins the past 2 seasons with Cam at QB for a hell of a lot less $ and draft picks than it cost us to get Teddy and Sam. 

No reason to replace a broken former great QB with broken never were QBs especially at the cost we paid. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

The sad thing about Cam being done is we could have gotten those same 5 wins the past 2 seasons with Cam at QB for a hell of a lot less $ and draft picks than it cost us to get Teddy and Sam. 

No reason to replace a broken former great QB with broken never were QBs especially at the cost we paid. 

I don’t think that’s true at all. Cam wanted a new contract and probably wasn’t playing without one. He said he wanted commitment. It would have probably cost more to give him one especially if we were stuck with him now after two garbage seasons. That’s a lot of money.

But yea giving up draft picks sucks.

The biggest failure is refusing to allow the team to hit rock bottom. Tepper cannot buy his team, I don’t think he realized that. This team should’ve been preparing to replace Cam long ago.

There is a lot that could and should have been done. I don’t think resigning Cam was one of them just because what came next shouldn’t have been done either.

Cam got humbled real quick going to FA realizing no one really wanted him. Which is still true today.

Just now, onmyown said:

I don’t think that’s true at all. Cam wanted a new contract and probably wasn’t playing without one. He said he wanted commitment. It would have probably cost more to give him one especially if we were stuck with him now after two garbage seasons. That’s a lot of money.

But yea giving up draft picks sucks.

The biggest failure is refusing to allow the team to hit rock bottom. Tepper cannot buy his team, I don’t think he realized that. This team should’ve been preparing to replace Cam long ago.

There is a lot that could and should have been done. I don’t think resigning Cam was one of them just because what came next shouldn’t have been done either.

Cam got humbled real quick going to FA realizing no one really wanted him. Which is still true today.

Which is also true of every other QB we have put out there, Denver thought they wanted Teddy but after they had him they traded away a bunch of picks for the rights to pay Russ 50m a season. 

Now we have Baker that no one else wanted, even though it was for a reasonable cost. 

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

I wish him the best and hope he proves me wrong about him sucking, but we have seen this song and dance for the 3rd year in a row now. 

Now we have our next leftover QB that no one else wanted. The offseason is complete. 

Well we really only had leftover leftover QB's prior on the roster to just taking a leftover QB again.

The price was cheap and I'd rather watch Baker Mayfield suck than Sam Darnold. At least there will eventually be some amazing throws and plays versus the 90+% poo plays that Darnold is dialing up.

Browns fan (posted earlier about the Mayfield rumors a few weeks back).

A few thoughts from someone who watched Baker each week.

First let me say that I feel those that feel Baker is mediocre are wrong.  He is a good qb.  At times he showed he can be really good.  In fact, if you watch his games (even his 2 bad seasons) you will see that he plays well.  The one pattern he has shown so far is that he will motivate his team to play hard and he will also play hard.  He takes any slight and turns it up 1000% and uses that as motivation.  If your team is the underdog, he is motivated.  If media talked about him, he is motivated.  You can refer back to games against key opponents and see the level of his play went up vs when he played teams he was expected to beat.   

That said, he is not perfect (or the Browns would never have looked to possibly upgrade).  He will play well for 3 quarters of football.  Sometimes 2.  Its usually that 4th quarter, he seems to start taking unnecessary chances and usually it comes back to bite him.  Be it untimely int or a fumble because he refuses to give up on the play or getting overanxious and missing his target by quite a bit.    He has warts.

I am a big fan of his moxie.  I am also a big fan of the tools he has as a qb.  His biggest hurdle is absolutely mental.  It can be the hardest to overcome and often the qb killer.  This does not mean he cannot overcome the mental aspect.  It just is his biggest flaw so far that I have seen.  He can (and has) make all the throws.  He throws with good velocity and relatively low arc, which means he has a pretty darn good arm.  He doesnt always anticipate and so he throws "to" the receiver and not to the location the receiver will be when the ball lands if running full stride.  He isnt an anticipation thrower (like Tom Brady).  Defenses sometimes are able to fool him, especially on deeper routes.

Overall, considering the other qb options, I feel he is CLEARLY your best qb, at least if/until Corral is ready.  He is a drastic improvement over Darnold IMO.  He will make defenses respect all levels of the field due to his ability to throw with velocity.

Your team gave up about $5m and a 5th (possibly upgraded to a 4th) for a qb who is capable of keeping your team in games.  He hasnt shown (yet) the ability to carry a team (outside of the Cincy and Baltimore game in 2020), but he has the ability as those examples prove.

I know people will rip the Browns on the trade but closing the chapter is best for everyone.  Browns get some extra cap relief and Panthers get a low risk, high ceiling player at a premium position.  It softens the blow of the bad deal for Darnold (sorry).

Good luck guys.  That first game is going to be theatre!!

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2