• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Ballad Of Baker

15 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

From UrinatingTree on youtube. He's a Steeler's fan but has fantastic videos related to the NFL. Breaks down the Baker situation from start to finish in Cleveland. Also details just how severe his injury last year was.

Eh. 4mr did it better.

• Beer 1

I take it back.   I hadn't finished watching when I posted it. Great video. This line alone worth the whole video:

Guess who Carolina ends up playing in week one.  The Cleveland Browns.  I honestly hope Carolina wins and Baker throws for over 300 yards and three tds.  I don't care if he sucks the rest of the year.  The meme world needs Mayfield to take the biggest shlt all over the Browns.  It's honestly deserved for how raw they dogged him.

Edited by poundaway
  • Pie 3

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

I hope Baker got all that cockiness knocked out of him but kept the chip on his shoulder.  Mobile quarterbacks with strong arms seems to be what McAdoo wants for his offense and Baker fits the bill

I see a Mayfield to Higgins TD pass in our future at the week one game.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

Eh. 4mr did it better.

Yeah Tim Bailey breakdown was good on 4mr. One issue is Rhule is basically Freddie Kitchens but with a massive contract the owner doesn't want to admit was a huge mistake. Neither guy is good at dealing with adversity in the locker room or the stress of managing a game in real time

At the least there are tons of Browns fans in the comments that think he got fuged over, If we cut Sam tomorrow we'd have about 0 people on this board upset over it. Always a couple trolls or people mentioning he didn't ask for us to make a shitty trade to the Jets but his overall play and indifference to being here is obvious. I still think we should have just kept Teddy until we drafted our own guy 

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

At the least there are tons of Browns fans in the comments that think he got fuged over, If we cut Sam tomorrow we'd have about 0 people on this board upset over it. Always a couple trolls or people mentioning he didn't ask for us to make a shitty trade to the Jets but his overall play and indifference to being here is obvious. I still think we should have just kept Teddy until we drafted our own guy 

Not a bad strategy.  But if we had done that there would be a multitude of threads blasting the team about complacency and not wanting to get better.  Fan base will not be satisfied until we have our guy no matter what the approach is.  

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

Great video. I have to agree with it all really. I also find him as unlikable. Start stocking up on alcohol now, its going to be a long season...again. Us playing the Browns week one just gives him the perfect chance to get his wish and then lose focus again. Le sigh

Edited by Waldo

10 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I hope Baker got all that cockiness knocked out of him but kept the chip on his shoulder.  Mobile quarterbacks with strong arms seems to be what McAdoo wants for his offense and Baker fits the bill

I don't mind cockiness if you can back it up. Rodgers is acknowledged to be an arrogant prick but he is also the best QB in the NFL. 

Cockiness mainly bothers people when it isn't warranted.

In Baker's case, it hasn't been.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't mind cockiness if you can back it up. Rodgers is acknowledged to be an arrogant prick but he is also the best QB in the NFL. 

Cockiness mainly bothers people when it isn't warranted.

In Baker's case, it hasn't been.

I think in Baker's case his cockiness not only wasn't warranted but it lead to not learning the systems installed by his numerous HC and OC changes. He got lazy and didn't put in the work.  In 2020 he rededicated himself and had a good year. Last year was all about the injury, so if he I'd healthy and tries some humility we might have found our starter.

16 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I think in Baker's case his cockiness not only wasn't warranted but it lead to not learning the systems installed by his numerous HC and OC changes. He got lazy and didn't put in the work.  In 2020 he rededicated himself and had a good year. Last year was all about the injury, so if he I'd healthy and tries some humility we might have found our starter.

I hope he can channel his "fug you" energy into a "I'll show 'em" direction.

It isn't encouraging that he had run-ins with previous inept coaches because this could very well be the most inept coaching staff he has had in his professional career(history will tell that story so still TBD).

To me, that's obviously the biggest concern. If he starts chirping at Rhule, I don't think Matt is going to take that well. We saw how the Bridgewater very, very mild criticisms went.

In the end, at least it will be a highly interesting season versus the highly depressing season we were headed for. Even if the results may not be dramatically different in the end.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Not a bad strategy.  But if we had done that there would be a multitude of threads blasting the team about complacency and not wanting to get better.  Fan base will not be satisfied until we have our guy no matter what the approach is.  

It's never "the" fan base. It's a portion. Most leve headed people (e.g. not those on The Huddle), would've understood keeping Teddy Two Gloves and drafting a guy. Most would've preferred Teddy to what they saw in 2021 because of his ability to get the ball out quick, unlike Darnold. 

So no, I as a fan, do not require we make a trade every single off-season for a guy unless it's a guy like Mayfield who has had some success. Nothing Darnold showed in NY justified the trade.

Baker on the other hand broke the rookie record for TD passes, took the Browns to the playoffs and won a playoff game. Years 2 and 4 weren't spectacular but he was severely injured in 2021 and the Browns started doing what the Browns do. The culmination of thT being the signing of a QB who may never play a down with them. At this point, I wonder if they Browns owners make more money from losing than from winning, based on their decisions.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Baker went from walk on to Heisman Winner and 1st Round Draft Pick. I don't think he's cocky, I think he's confident in his ability to overcome based on his history. He isn't a Johnny Manziel. He didn't get to where he is by being quiet and humble because when you're his size and a walk on, you can't. You have to be charismatic and be a leader, which he was. But the Browns are so dysfunctional that of course they would squander that.

Baker apparently has a photographic memory as well, for what it's worth. He's already better than Darnold who can't see the field at 6'5. Baker can remember offensive and defensive plays by sight and when healthy, he's good.

I'll be interested to see if Mcadoo actually adjusts the offense to his strengths.

• Pie 2