• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt's first-day observations

top dawg

14 minutes ago, davos said:

Bozeman started 44 games for the Ravens in 4-years and consistently graded as one of the better run-blocking interior lineman in the league.  I don't see why he's not just penciled-in but I doubt it's anything to be concerned about...yet.   It was strange they didn't bring him back on a second contract or that we were able to get him on a 1-year cheapo.  Thought that was odd given his grades, history, and whatnot.  Not to mentioned seemed like he's embraced the QC and spent a lot of time with teammates this summer.

Corbett has his struggles earlier in his career but seasoned into a strong guard.  Unsure how much of a product he was of his counterparts in LA.  But we also signed him to a multi-year starter deal.

Both should be starters.  If not come week 1, then yeah, it would be bad.  Jordan should not make the team.  Elf may end up being better suited than Brady at LG though and could see Icky-Elf-Bozeman-Corbett-Moton as the lineup.  

After this solid post, I got to bring this up. Ok.........Campy is the new OL coach and after his long tenture GB run, arrived at Browns. Colbert was couple years removed form being the 33rd pick. So their time over-lapped.....well for a short time cause he was traded to the rams...... now there it is

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

Making guys earn their spot is 100% NFL.

I you want to read into that stuff though, the pairings today were Sam/Elfien/christiansen and Baker/bozeman/Iky.

One of those is a clear starting combo of QB/center/LT.

Bozeman isn’t a rookie, he was a starter for a better team than the Panthers last year. I’m all for making guys earn their stripes but Bozeman has already earned his and we are paying him handsomely to be the starting center (although it’s only a one year deal).

The pairings were…

Sam - Christensen - Jordan - Elflein

Baker - Ickey - Christensen - Bozeman

The problem is that the first team OL is not matched up either the first team wide outs… so it’s hard to get a true gauge of what the team could look like. Obviously just the first practice but this is collegesque.

5 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Bozeman isn’t a rookie, he was a starter for a better team than the Panthers last year. I’m all for making guys earn their stripes but Bozeman has already earned his and we are paying him handsomely to be the starting center (although it’s only a one year deal).

The pairings were…

Sam - Christensen - Jordan - Elflein

Baker - Ickey - Christensen - Bozeman

The problem is that the first team OL is not matched up either the first team wide outs… so it’s hard to get a true gauge of what the team could look like. Obviously just the first practice but this is collegesque.

In order to remain non-volcano, Ive been telling myself "Its day 1 of TC". 

If this is the case when they break, I'll be showing my ass. 

• Pie 4

24 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I you want to read into that stuff though, the pairings today were Sam/Elfien/christiansen and Baker/bozeman/Iky.

One of those is a clear starting combo of QB/center/LT.

Hopefully they'll swap WR's/Rb's tmrw but keep their respective O-line guys 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Hopefully they'll swap WR's/Rb's tmrw but keep their respective O-line guys 

Yeah the whole pairings just seem weird.

Like what looks to be the first team o-line is playing with the second team rb’s and wr’s and what looks to be the second team o-line is playing with the first team rb’s and wr’s… Not exactly sure how the eventual starters are supposed to be build a rapport with this method but maybe it’s just a week one thing and they’ll start to sort players out next week.

3 hours ago, therealmjl said:

Sam was saying the same thing all last off-season. Both of these quarterbacks have serious issues putting it into the actual on-field performance though. All talk.

What a ridiculous thing to say.  Baker has a playoff win, was a top 10 QB and trending upwards before his injury last year.  Get educated.

10 minutes ago, bruceleeroy said:

What a ridiculous thing to say.  Baker has a playoff win, was a top 10 QB and trending upwards before his injury last year.  Get educated.

So I like Baker and think he gives us the best chance to win but top 10 QB?

Who is he better than in the group listed below: Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Stafford, Wilson, Watson, Jackson, Prescott, Murray, and Carr.

1 hour ago, bruceleeroy said:

HAHAHAAHHAHAHAH WHAT???? Baker sucks buddy....... Like really sucks....Top 10? Why were we the only team that was interested in trading for him (REPORTED)? Why did the Browns have to pay us to take him???? Top 10? You are the one that needs an education. I think Baker is around the 30th ranked QB in the NFL at best and definitely not a franchise QB. Geez man, I want whatever you are on. HAAHHAHAHAHALOLOLOLOL

Edited by Jared Patterson

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

So I like Baker and think he gives us the best chance to win but top 10 QB?

Who is he better than in the group listed below: Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Stafford, Wilson, Watson, Jackson, Prescott, Murray, and Carr.

That dudes lost his mine lol. 

8 hours ago, top dawg said:

It's just the first day. Gantt didn't say too much, but the article will still let you know what's going on.

I zeroed in on some of Baker's thoughts:

"There's a time to be aggressive and try to push the ball downfield without being stupid and being careless," Mayfield said. "There's aggressiveness, and then there's carelessness. It's a fine line between those and knowing when to take your shots and when to not get too greedy and play in the flow of the game."

I like hearing Mayfield say this. Ball security should be at a premium. There was a little debate about ball security and gun-slinging in a thread last week. My thing is is that in my estimation even purported gunslingers can take their shots and be responsible with the football. It doesn't always work, but turnovers must be kept to a minimum, even as you push the ball down field. 

Baker continued,"If you take care of the ball, most likely you're going to win games."

And the converse is very much true as well: If you don't take of the ball, most likely you're going to lose games. 

We gotta take care of the football, bottom line. There are more ways to get down the field than the expressway.

https://www.panthers.com/news/camp-observations-baker-mayfield-makes-his-debut

So you're saying that turnover margin matters? NO WAY.

5 hours ago, Tbe said:

If we managed to trade for someone like Davante Adams or Cooper Kupp, would you tell them they need to earn playing time over Robbie Anderson and Terrace Marshall?

Making rookies earn their spot is "100% NFL", though even in that case there are frequently exceptions for highly drafted players. 

Making veterans you signed or traded for feel like they have to begin at the bottom and work to win a starting job over someone they were brought in to replace is kinda silly, especially when it's in a system neither of them has played in before. 

Granted that as long as it's just drills, it's not necessarily a big deal...yet. But part of the point of having a training camp is so that the guys you expect to be starters can gain chemistry with each other. 

That means reps...

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3