• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A bit of perspective (re Corral)

t96

It also isn't just giving vets their dues; there are significant been fits short and long term to both player and team to letting a rookie QB learn on the bench. It isn't the only way to do things, sure, but it also has it's upside.

Corral will get his chance (so, too, will Pickett some day).

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Not arguing the point, just adding for accuracy.

Russell Wilson Smile GIF by Alaska Airlines

Pretty sure Wilson started behind Matt Flynn and Tavaris Jackson. He was so good in camp that he made the decision easy to move him up the lineup, then they traded Jackson just before the season and made Flynn the backup. I absolutely hope Corral can do the same thing, that would be incredible. But for every Wilson there are hundreds of guys who never pan out, so to expect Corral to show that much this early is unreasonable. Wilson is a likely hall of famer... There’s a reason he was able to win the job and he’s proven it over the course of his career.

• Pie 5

1 minute ago, t96 said:

Pretty sure Wilson started behind Matt Flynn and Tavaris Jackson. He was so good in camp that he made the decision easy to move him up the lineup, then they traded Jackson just before the season and made Flynn the backup. I absolutely hope Corral can do the same thing, that would be incredible. But for every Wilson there are hundreds of guys who never pan out, so to expect Corral to show that much this early is unreasonable. Wilson is a likely hall of famer... There’s a reason he was able to win the job and he’s proven it over the course of his career.

I wouldn't exactly consider it "unreasonable." I see why others do. The circumstances are different, for sure, and they must be taken into account.

But, remember, Wilson was never seriously in the Heisman discussion, much less leading the race, at any time during any season. 

I think that Huddlers also overlook the fact that Corral suffered an injury right before the draft season began. The kid was on ice for the better part of the entire draft season. 

All that being said, I don't want him to start before he is absolutely ready. But I am a believer in his long term viability as an NFL starter, without hesitation or qualification. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I wouldn't exactly consider it "unreasonable." I see why others do. The circumstances are different, for sure, and they must be taken into account.

But, remember, Wilson was never seriously in the Heisman discussion, much less leading the race, at any time during any season. 

I think that Huddlers also overlook the fact that Corral suffered an injury right before the draft season began. The kid was on ice for the better part of the entire draft season. 

All that being said, I don't want him to start before he is absolutely ready. But I am a believer in his long term viability as an NFL starter, without hesitation or qualification. 

I think with expectations like that you just set yourself up for disappointment. The guys getting paid lots of money to evaluate QBs passed over him 2+ times. I get you’re high on him, I like him too. Just think it’s unreasonable to expect him to start day 1. To think he’s capable of it, ok. But I will be happy if he just looks good in preseason and is able to beat out Darnold for the backup job.

• Pie 5
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, t96 said:

I think with expectations like that you just set yourself up for disappointment. The guys getting paid lots of money to evaluate QBs passed over him 2+ times. I get you’re high on him, I like him too. Just think it’s unreasonable to expect him to start day 1. To think he’s capable of it, ok. But I will be happy if he just looks good in preseason and is able to beat out Darnold for the backup job.

I don't have expectations for Corral to start.

I'm not impressed by the fact that Corral was passed over. Hell, a bunch of QBs were passed over.

I also am not sure why so many Huddlers--including some smart ones like you--are so sure of Mayfield, or assume that he's a lock to beat Darnold. I say that to say that in my opinion it's more likely that the beginning pecking order is Darnold, Mayfield, then Corral (as essentially a redshirt).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't have expectations for Corral to start.

I'm not impressed by the fact that Corral was passed over. Hell, a bunch of QBs were passed over.

I also am not sure why so many Huddlers--including some smart ones like you--are so sure of Mayfield, or assume that he's a lock to beat Darnold. I say that to say that in my opinion it's more likely that the beginning pecking order is Darnold, Mayfield, then Corral (as essentially a redshirt).

Earlier I agreed with the Darnold may beat out Baker narrative. . Skill wise Darnold should be more talented bigger stronger faster.  But now I see mindset has made this a not even close scenario.. Darnold is becoming check down Charlie and scared to make plays being to conservative.. And Baker has  a gun slingers personality and while not being with the team long.. Has shown more leadership  Also with not a full grasp of playbook is still trying to make plays down field while looking on level with Darnold.. Which shouldn't be happening this fast...

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

Earlier I agreed with the Darnold may beat out Baker narrative. . Skill wise Darnold should be more talented bigger stronger faster.  But now I see mindset has made this a not even close scenario.. Darnold is becoming check down Charlie and scared to make plays being to conservative.. And Baker has  a gun slingers personality and while not being with the team long.. Has shown more leadership  Also with not a full grasp of playbook is still trying to make plays down field while looking on level with Darnold.. Which shouldn't be happening this fast...

The competition hasn't even started in earnest yet, let's make that clear. But if we were to judge last week, Darnold would start.  Baker is going to have to show better ball security, and better accuracy. Pushing it down field is nice, but it's not the only way to score.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

The competition hasn't even started in earnest yet, let's make that clear. But if we were to judge last week, Darnold would start.  Baker is going to have to show better ball security, and better accuracy. Pushing it down field is nice, but it's not the only way to score.

Agree to disagree.. Baker is pushing the ball down field and taking chances while not having timing down with all new wr and only having the playbook for a week... Darnold being a little better with ball security and accuracy is him checking down way to much and not looking down field... He is way to conservative to win this competition and Baker is quickly becoming a leader and guys are gravitating to him over Darnold...

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, t96 said:

For those who are new to the game or just like finding things to complain about, it’s completely normal for Corral to be starting out as 3rd string and getting the equivalent reps. The Steelers, a model franchise, have a top 20 pick starting with 3rd string reps, behind QBs pretty similar to ours. Baker is probably better than Mitch and Rudolph a bit better than Sam but overall a very similar situation. Baker/Mitch fine stopgaps but those other guys obviously have nothing to offer. Yet the Steelers seem poised to keep Pickett 3rd string throughout camp.

I get it, there’s plenty of things to not like about Rhule, I’m not a fan either. But a late day 2 rookie walking into significant reps in training camp just doesn’t happen. Even a top 20 pick for one of the best run franchises in the league isn’t gifted those reps. The NFL has guys pay their dues, it’s just the way it is. In time his reps will increase and he will be able to develop. Just like Pickett will for the Steelers.

I agree.  My concern is, does the future potential QB understand this.  I agree you must be assertive but, I believe you can be too assertive.  

it is similar to applying for Employment.  Speaking bad regarding your former employer hurts your chances of being hired.  

I put a lot of faith in Matt Corral.  However, my heart is with the Carolina Panthers.  No question in my mind, Corral is loaded with talent.  But, I want the best QB in the starting position.  The question is who is the best quarterback that can take us to the Super Bowl, let alone to first place in the division.