• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Film Room: Baker Mayfield

ellis

We know Baker has the arm strength and the balls to go for big plays down field. It's just a question of what his TD/INT ratio is going to be as to whether or not he's going to stick with the team. If he throws too many picks then it won't matter that he makes big plays here and there.

Ultimately I think Rhule is wanting to play small ball, run it a lot, and take a few shots down field here and there rather than air it out. The problem is that those days are over. We have to air it out, and that's what worries me about Baker.

I still think we're taking a QB in the 1st in 2023 and Baker and Sam won't be here next season.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

At this point, Baker should be 1 and Darnold and Corral should be competing for 2. We have several ridiculous camp competitions going on right now. Get your 1s practicing together. New center and new QB is going to take some time for rhythm and trust to develop. Enough with the college shenanigans. 

I've thought the same thing.  Why rule is doing what he's doing is beyond........I don't want to start.  Fire that *&&*%*&^kr

• Flames 1

7 hours ago, pantherj said:

We know Baker has the arm strength and the balls to go for big plays down field. It's just a question of what his TD/INT ratio is going to be as to whether or not he's going to stick with the team. If he throws too many picks then it won't matter that he makes big plays here and there.

Ultimately I think Rhule is wanting to play small ball, run it a lot, and take a few shots down field here and there rather than air it out. The problem is that those days are over. We have to air it out, and that's what worries me about Baker.

I still think we're taking a QB in the 1st in 2023 and Baker and Sam won't be here next season.

This strategy worked great in 2003. What the hell is wrong with this moron. 

9 hours ago, ellis said:

There are some imperfections on Baker’s tape, and we will chronicle those, as well. I will say, they don’t measure up to some of the fatal error miscues you see from Sam Darnold on a regular basis. 

Baker has a higher floor, higher ceiling, better energy and I am surprised he’s still waiting to be named the starter. I don’t think I’m alone there. I’m sure a few folks disagree—fair enough. I’m just going on what I know from tape and what I see at camp. 

I’ll be at Wofford tomorrow morning for practice, as well as the remainder of the week.

Fan Fest, as well.

Hope to see some of y’all out there!

There is not one logical reason why this is still a "competition".  Hell in fact I could argue that there is not one logical reason Darnold is still on this team not cut outright

43 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

There is not one logical reason why this is still a "competition".  Hell in fact I could argue that there is not one logical reason Darnold is still on this team not cut outright

Agreed on the first point.  The second point is hating too much on Sam.  There's 18M reasons why he should at least be on the roster as the backup.  The money is already spent.  If Baker gets hurt, Sam's at least a serviceable replacement.  The starter gets nearly all the snaps in practice one the season starts anyhow, so having Sam as the #2 isn't hurting Corral's development.  Rhule has indicated Corral is getting red shirted this season no matter what.

Baker should be getting nearly all the snaps with the 1's now though.  That much nearly everyone agrees on.

• Pie 5

8 hours ago, pantherj said:

Rhule seems to be very risk averse and overly careful. Much to his own demise.

56 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Agreed on the first point.  The second point is hating too much on Sam.  There's 18M reasons why he should at least be on the roster as the backup.  The money is already spent.  If Baker gets hurt, Sam's at least a serviceable replacement.  The starter gets nearly all the snaps in practice one the season starts anyhow, so having Sam as the #2 isn't hurting Corral's development.  Rhule has indicated Corral is getting red shirted this season no matter what.

Baker should be getting nearly all the snaps with the 1's now though.  That much nearly everyone agrees on.

You and I have a different definition of "serviceable replacement".      Darnolds win totals for his career 4-7-2-4

So I asked the question again, whats the point of keeping that on your roster?  If you have to go to him for whatever reason you pretty much know the result that is going to happen

• Beer 3
  • The D 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You and I have a different definition of "serviceable replacement".      Darnolds win totals for his career 4-7-2-4

So I asked the question again, whats the point of keeping that on your roster?  If you have to go to him for whatever reason you pretty much know the result that is going to happen

The only reason is he has game experience and that is worth something, albeit not much. If we carry 3 QBs it makes sense to keep him over Walker. If some team loses their starter during the year, they may be desperate enough to trade a future late rounder for him. That's all I've got.