• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Corrall

NAS

52 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not seeing it. He's the worst of the rookie QBs I've watched. He has a quick release and decent mobility but everything else is... rough.

No reps. I'm not blaming him for him not having NFL speed reps. He's had very few. He's done well despite not getting many reps with the ones or twos.

Matt Corral in a boot was Matt Rhules dream scenario. Now he can keep PJ.

11 minutes ago, RJK said:

Exactly. I just don’t see these special “physical” traits everyone else is seeing. 

He's got some stuff to work with like his quick release, solid arm strength and athleticism but that's not enough to beat NFL defenses with where he's at in the mental part of his game. Corral has enough physical talent to make him a good NFL QB, but they need to be in addition to his mental ability. He's not gonna be a guy who's going to win games just by being a better athlete than everyone else. 

• Beer 1

On 8/13/2022 at 4:20 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

He looked terrible and we should've drafted Howell but I'm still hopeful he'll develop. We'll see.

Can't blame the kid when he's being thrown to the wolves. Letting camp fodder take his snaps is beyond dumb. It's like McAdoo and Fitt are running a different team than Rhule is. It's also why a GM should always have more power than a HC. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

In camp, Corral got far fewer reps than any rookie QB who was drafted. Paired with UDFA linemen, receivers and RBs for all but two possessions of this preseason. Had a great deep ball dropped that should’ve also been DPI. Avoided probably four sacks by sheer mobility. But because he didn’t play for UNC, he doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Not sure why people don’t believe having one of the fastest releases in the past few years isn’t considered a physical trait. I mean Cam was a massive DE with WR speed and a howitzer laser arm so I get we are spoiled but come on lol 

dudes not Kirk Cousins/Alex Smith level 

Matt Corral has the arm the accuracy, escapability (already escaped two sacks or more), he's got quick feet. He showed tonight just what I was talking about, he ran one way and threw it across his body to hit #84 with a dime which he fumbled.

There were at least three or more drops. The line gave him more time but the receivers got no separation and had no idea how to help a scrambling QB, they just watched.

If Matt Corral has been running with the twos he'd be ready. I can't blame him. It was Rhule. He never intended for Corral to "compete".

• Pie 2

Just now, bruceleeroy said:

The excuse making is ridiculous here for Corral.  He's just not good.  He has shown NOTHING.  Not a spark of anything to believe in.  Good QB's show something to point at that point to a high ceiling.  He has none of that.  He's a 3rd round QB. That's it.

That’s fuging bullshit. Take it back to InsideCarolina. Sam Howell would be 0% better if he had garbage OL, WRs and Rhule to deal with. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

On 8/13/2022 at 1:07 PM, NAS said:

Not the start he wanted, completely lacked composure today.  He should have been allowed to play behind a better offensive line.  He was rattled early and never recovered.  

You know what you have with PJ yet they insist on giving him bulk of the quality reps. 

you misspelled his name 

27 minutes ago, GOAT said:

he looks confused and frantic. it's funny that he went to Oaks like Jimmy, they really do look a lot a like. That release is nice but when you're just gunning it at people that arent ready or finished with their route, it just looks like you're way off target.

the one play that really told me he wasn't an NFL QB was against the redskins when he was getting sacked and tried to get rid of it which resulted in a fumble. He got bailed out by a penalty.

I'm bummed, I was really rooting him on trust.

Lol no they don’t, and you’re giving up on him after about 35 snaps of NFL football. What a clown. 

Clausen had no arm strength. Corral puts more zip on a deep ball than Clausen could on a curl. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

If you’re comparing Corral to a former Panthers QB, Matt Moore is a more apt comparison than Jimmy Clausen. Clausen looked to check down quickly, whereas Corral keeps his eyes downfield longer — and has more mobility. But he needs more practice, and putting him in with a cast of UDFAs isn’t the way to develop him. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

Corral gets the ball there fast. His arm is quietly Cam like with his velocity, Brees like with his accuracy (except for one maybe two balls) he was putting it in dudes hands.

His release is so fast it gives him a extra second to scan. If you know what you're looking for you can see these traits and the "skillset" McAdoo spoke of.

Eyes are on Corral because you can see it coming but he's in definitely in preseason form due to not being able to build chemistry with anyone but imaginary players in his mental reps. 

Wasted pick if you weren't going to take him seriously.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

If you’re comparing Corral to a former Panthers QB, Matt Moore is a more apt comparison than Jimmy Clausen. Clausen looked to check down quickly, whereas Corral keeps his eyes downfield longer — and has more mobility. But he needs more practice, and putting him in with a cast of UDFAs isn’t the way to develop him. 

Think About It Thinking GIF by For(bes) The Culture

He actually looks good. With reps and actually playing football he may have been ready to be QB1(with the right coach) or QB2.

I was just thinking of Matt Moore the other day. He had a better than average career. Matt Moore would actually win this "QB Competition".

Corral is a slightly more skilled, more mobile Matt Moore. I think that's his career trajectory. Once he bulks up a little, gets stronger he'll be a problem.

He looks very good at times in spite of Matt Rhules sabotage.

Edited by rippadonn
  • Pie 2

36 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

He's got some stuff to work with like his quick release, solid arm strength and athleticism but that's not enough to beat NFL defenses with where he's at in the mental part of his game. Corral has enough physical talent to make him a good NFL QB, but they need to be in addition to his mental ability. He's not gonna be a guy who's going to win games just by being a better athlete than everyone else. 

That golden arm though. He's so accurate with that cannon. He throws some lasers. The ball hops off his hands. None of what he's showed us in camp or in limited snaps is easy. He makes it look easy. If someone can't "see" "it" they never will.

To think that's the last we'll get to see and he becomes Rhules private dancer soon is depressing. He has all the tools, another coach would have loved him.

He runs like a RB. He actually switched hands on the sideline on his run. This dude is a true dual threat.

Edited by rippadonn
  • Pie 1