• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cuts on the Horizon

MHS831

Rosters have to be trimmed from 85 to 80 by Tuesday, and then the big cut to 53 comes on August 30.  I just thought you might like to know that.

I am wondering about this 5-player cut tomorrow.  A lot of teams try to release some of the better veterans that do not look poised to make the roster because they know they can't stash them on the PS.  They say they want to allow them to find a spot on another roster.

If this theory is valid, then what veteran(s) do you think the Panthers might cut by tomorrow?

(My guess:  Cam Erving.  We can put Pleasant on the PS if we need a 4th OT (counting BC as the third OT).  Reason?  We can save $2m in cap room.  I know that you might add, "He is decent depth.  Why throw that away for $2m?"
To which I say, "Because Pleasant looked better at RT, and if we keep Daley...")

• Pie 5

The cap hit is double that for Erving.  I'd rather let him play out his remaining year.   Plus, that gives us more options on the left side if the injury bug bites.   I'd rather keep Erving than Daley.  Honestly, we probably keep both.  Pleasants is PS material.  Mays has more potential and is plug and play anywhere on the right side of the line.  The other guards, Brown, Horton and Jordan are just that...guards.  They all are expendable. If any of those dudes make it over Mays, I'll be pissed...because they suck at the one job they do have, not to mention no versatility.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

He has not yet

And may not until the initial 53 is made.  If a player goes to IR before the 53 man roster is set, he is out for the entire year without the ability to come back.  It wouldn't shock me that Corral makes the initial 53 man roster before heading to IR so he could come back later in the season when healthy enough.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

And may not until the initial 53 is made.  If a player goes to IR before the 53 man roster is set, he is out for the entire year without the ability to come back.  It wouldn't shock me that Corral makes the initial 53 man roster before heading to IR so he could come back later in the season when healthy enough.

That would be ideal. I did not know IR wasn't a done deal yet. Everything I'm seeing gave me the impression it was done.

9 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

That would be ideal. I did not know IR wasn't a done deal yet. Everything I'm seeing gave me the impression it was done.

There's no rush at this time.  During the season, it would have to be a quick decision, but not this early.  Corral is heading to IR, it's just how the team wants to handle it--whether they feel they need him back or he's able to come back versus having to cut a guy they want to keep on the 53 man roster just to send Corral to IR as soon as the roster is set and hope said player clears waivers in order to re-sign him.

Edited by 45catfan

3 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Sadly I think Jordan is going to be safe because he (supposedly) is a good run blocker and we'll probably be run heavy this year. 

As far as veterans go.  Erving and Daley. Kenny Robinson from the Safety position? 

Agree on both. As stated earlier, if we can save $2M or so in cap space, I’m all for it. Pleasant was cut today but can be brought back on the PS.

I don’t see us cutting Robinson over what happened last week. The guy makes plays and provides decent depth at safety, not to mention his value on ST. 

Edited by Prowler2k18

23 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Austen Pleasants per Joe Person 

He and Mays were the right side swing guys.  I guess Mays made him expendable.  I figured he would.  Mays can play all five positions, he ain't getting cut.  Brown and/or Horton should be the next out the door.  Pure guards and not very got at it either.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

He and Mays were the right side swing guys.  I guess Mays made him expendable.  I figured he would.  Mays can play all five positions, he ain't getting cut.  Brown and/or Horton should be the next out the door.  Pure guards and not very got at it either.

Yup, Mays has potential and provides good depth along the interior OL. The rest are expendable including Daley. He’s been a real disappointment. He had such potential when we drafted him a few years back. Not sure what’s happened to him.