• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corral vs the rest of the rookie field

micnificent28

6 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Honestly, I've been keeping pretty quiet on the whole thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Corral is done.

Like, his chances of becoming anything as a QB in the NFL are next to 0 now. He came in with tools that translate well but his brain needed to be rewired through reps and practice. He was already coming in slightly rusty due to the high ankle sprain at the end of the season, and then when he got to TC he received next to no reps. Then he got thrown out into the preseason, looked like he hadn't played any actual football in 6+ months, and broke his foot. Now he won't be able to actually practice what he is learning in the classroom and getting up to NFL speed. He is on ice for the entire year.

The one thing he needed was practice and he can't get it. I would not be surprised to see him not even make it to the end of his rookie deal anymore. 

and another big knock on him was that his frame made him susceptible to injury and here we are

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Ron who was just too backward for words and loyal to a fault with vets according to some gave Sam Howell quite a bit of practice reps as well as some game reps with 1st and 2nd team players. Corral was picking up the last few fragmented reps left by PJ since he stepped onto the practice field. And that's the way uh huh Rhule liked it! 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Honestly, I've been keeping pretty quiet on the whole thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Corral is done.

Like, his chances of becoming anything as a QB in the NFL are next to 0 now. He came in with tools that translate well but his brain needed to be rewired through reps and practice. He was already coming in slightly rusty due to the high ankle sprain at the end of the season, and then when he got to TC he received next to no reps. Then he got thrown out into the preseason, looked like he hadn't played any actual football in 6+ months, and broke his foot. Now he won't be able to actually practice what he is learning in the classroom and getting up to NFL speed. He is on ice for the entire year.

The one thing he needed was practice and he can't get it. I would not be surprised to see him not even make it to the end of his rookie deal anymore. 

His best chance is for Baker to light it up and get an extension. Keeps the staff that drafted him in place and he stays on as a cheap backup. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Other than both being drafted in the third round, I am not sure what one has to do with the other.  Corral is going to miss his rookie season, Mond didn't.  We still know nothing about Corral.  So I would bet that he will still be here next year.  

Of course, there are caveats.  If someone offers us a decent trade, or if he doesn't recover well from his injury.   

Edited by Davidson Deac II

2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Other than both being drafted in the third round, I am not sure what one has to do with the other.  Corral is going to miss his rookie season, Mond didn't.  We still know nothing about Corral.  So, unless he is traded, I would bet that he will still be here next year.  

Even if there's a coaching change?

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Even if there's a coaching change?

If we hire a coach that would cut a guy simply because that coach wasn't the one who drafted him (ie his guy) then that coach probably sucks.   

And regardless of whether we get a new coach, Fitterer is still going to be here.  

Best I can remember, Ron Rivera gave Clausen a year, and we all knew he was bad by that point.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II

On 8/27/2022 at 9:00 PM, tukafan21 said:

Had no issue taking the player, still think he could be a solid back up if he has the time/ability to develop.

But I'm still furious at trading away next year's 3rd rounder to get him, especially after we then went out and got Baker, just a terrible decision there.

You think the fact that he played for Kiffin made him more attractive than he would be if he was at another school.  Kind of like Houston used to have some great QBs who sputtered in the league?

3 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

It's amazing and a bit sad how quickly my hopes for him turned from promise to this as you laid out. On top of that just continues his injury prone tag that is hard to shake. But it ain't over yet. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

His best chance is for Baker to light it up and get an extension. Keeps the staff that drafted him in place and he stays on as a cheap backup. 

That's the other variable in the whole thing - This coaching staff. The best hope for Matt Corral's future is that we win this season and make the playoffs. This would secure Rhule's job for next season, but we would most likely re-sign baker and keep Corral waiting in the wings for god knows how long. However if the team tanks, Rhule is potentially gone and every coach that believed in him along with him. We would most likely look to move on from Baker and move up in the draft (pending final position) in order to take a new franchise QB. This would mean the new staff would have "their" guy that will have played football more recently than Corral, even if it was college, and with a first round investment in the kid they wouldn't start Corral over him. 

There is really no clear cut path to him being a successful starting QB in the league any longer now that he got injured. The dominoes fell in all the wrong ways for him. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

That's the other variable in the whole thing - This coaching staff. The best hope for Matt Corral's future is that we win this season and make the playoffs. This would secure Rhule's job for next season, but we would most likely re-sign baker and keep Corral waiting in the wings for god knows how long. However if the team tanks, Rhule is potentially gone and every coach that believed in him along with him. We would most likely look to move on from Baker and move up in the draft (pending final position) in order to take a new franchise QB. This would mean the new staff would have "their" guy that will have played football more recently than Corral, even if it was college, and with a first round investment in the kid they wouldn't start Corral over him. 

There is really no clear cut path to him being a successful starting QB in the league any longer now that he got injured. The dominoes fell in all the wrong ways for him. 

Yep nice post

There is just no realistic scenario where mc contributes to this team in the next couple of seasons.   

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Yep nice post

There is just no realistic scenario where mc contributes to this team in the next couple of seasons.   

The ONLY way that happens is if we have some Tom Brady/Drew Bledsoe scenario where we re-sign baker to a major contract for next season, he then gets injured and Corral comes in and lights the world on fire in his absence in such a way the Rhule is forced to play the hot hand of Matt Corral into the post season. 

Again, not very likely. 

Matt will most likely waste away on the bench until his contract is up, unless a new regime comes in and cuts him much like what recently happened with Kellen Mond up in Minny.

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

The ONLY way that happens is if we have some Tom Brady/Drew Bledsoe scenario where we re-sign baker to a major contract for next season, he then gets injured and Corral comes in and lights the world on fire in his absence in such a way the Rhule is forced to play the hot hand of Matt Corral into the post season. 

Again, not very likely. 

Matt will most likely waste away on the bench until his contract is up, unless a new regime comes in and cuts him much like what recently happened with Kellen Mond up in Minny.

I doubt mc even wins the backup role in that scenario