• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Weis Factor

Mr. Scot

WFNZ is quoting reports (unconfirmed so far) saying that Charlie Weis is out as Notre Dame head coach.

Thus, the question arises: Would the addition of Charlie Weis as OC plus a new QB be enough to convince you to keep John Fox as head coach of the Panthers?

Mort on ESPN just said that Fox and Weis are very good friends... I guess you can read into that what you want...

Mort on ESPN just said that Fox and Weis are very good friends... I guess you can read into that what you want...

Weis came to Charlotte in a previous offseason and - if I remember right - did some unofficial consulting with Fox.

Like I said, it's a real possibility.

Maybe he could turn Goodson into the next Golden Tate (he was a RB in HS). Goodson has that type of talent (why have I yet to see him in the Slot?). I would be fine with it myself. ND has had a lot of success at turning out good QBs (at least at the collegiate level) and really good offense all around sense he got there. There are plenty of cases where a Coach is an unbelievable OC but just can't handle the transition to HC. I think he fits that bill. To be honest I wouldn't mind this or wholesale changes but I do want Marty gone (enter Marc Ross). If Weis is brought in and Marty is still here I just don't trust him to find a QB for Weis' O to be sucessfull.

Odds are he'll end up in KC.

Not sure where you heard that, but it doesn't look to be true.

PFT: Weis not likely to join the Chiefs

Though former Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis is regarded by many (us included) as a candidate to become the offensive coordinator of the Chiefs, a league source tells us that such a move isn't likely.

As the source explains it, there's some "disdain" between Weis and Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli.

It flows, the source says, from their mutual time in New England.

"Both wanted to be [coach Bill] Belichick's favorite," the source said.

Geez, that sounds like something out of grade school :sosp:

It wouldn't matter much without a new QB and at least one, probably two, new receivers with speed and experience. Weis couldn't do much with the passing game tools we have right now.

I think unfortunately Fox manages to convince Richardson that injuries and bad bounces were responsible for turning a playoff season into a losing one and he gets another year. That shouldn't be the result for a coach and front office that mortgaged the future to win now---and failed---but I think it will be the result.

Archived