• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Has David Tepper been humbled?

NAS

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I agree, I don't think he is humbled.  But he has admitted that he was wrong about a lot early on when he arrived.  Make of that whatever you want I guess. 

Only thing I would disagree with is NFL front offices around the league.  I do think they view him as a failure to date in regards to football.   Can say that about others too like the Khan.   They don't give a poo about soccer, Garth Brooks, where he made his money because that isn't the conversation.  Think clusterfug was what Person said people called the Panther org.   Which isn't much of a hot take if you look at the Panther org since he took over. 

I recall Person saying that, but it was later revealed in a repot that Mr Scott shared that it came from an agent not an NFL exec. I dont think anyone in the NFL gives a poo what Charlotte and Tepper have partnered up on with bringing entertainment to the city and a new soccer franchise. 

If anyone thinks those impacted how our football team has been managed, I have some news Tepper isnt running the day to day of this football operation. There are poo owners in this league... and certain franchises are under fire by the league right now... Commanders, Browns (for THE contract), Jags (obvious reasons) and Raiders (racism/targeting scandal). I dont think we anywhere close to being under that microscope.  

We also forget there 4 owners in this league that have b een sued/investigated for others issues as well... such as : Hiding revenue, avoid property taxes, refuses to pay back loans, and the truck stop scam.

28 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I recall Person saying that, but it was later revealed in a repot that Mr Scott shared that it came from an agent not an NFL exec. I dont think anyone in the NFL gives a poo what Charlotte and Tepper have partnered up on with bringing entertainment to the city and a new soccer franchise. 

If anyone thinks those impacted how our football team has been managed, I have some news Tepper isnt running the day to day of this football operation. There are poo owners in this league... and certain franchises are under fire by the league right now... Commanders, Browns (for THE contract), Jags (obvious reasons) and Raiders (racism/targeting scandal). I dont think we anywhere close to being under that microscope.  

We also forget there 4 owners in this league that have b een sued/investigated for others issues as well... such as : Hiding revenue, avoid property taxes, refuses to pay back loans, and the truck stop scam.

No, Tepper isn't running the day to day.  He is hiring the people that do that.  And that has been a pretty dysfunctional ride from the outside looking in since he has taken over.   

and I don't view him as hands off.  Tepper wanted THE contract.  He wanted us to have the mess the Browns have on their hands.   We oddly, can only thank Watson for not wanting us. Tepper is being sued right now for what appears to be some shady financial tomfoolery.   And he doesn't win. 

I doubt in league circles he is greatly respected.  Basically, his only contribution to the "club of NFL owners".....is skewing HC salaries and probably costing teams a couple extra nickels. 

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

Tepper wanted THE contract.  He wanted us to have the mess the Browns have on their hands.   We oddly, can only thank Watson for not wanting us. Tepper is being sued right now for what appears to be some shady financial tomfoolery.   And he doesn't win. 

Tepper said no to the contract. Thats why Watson didnt come here. That was reported widely by our media coverage group. Tepper said he wouldnt gaurantee all 4 years and he wouldnt pay Watson over suspension either. 

As for the lawsuits, those are just bullshit lawsuits to drive up settlement payouts. They arent going to win the case, and now that the Panthers have removed the settlement offer, I expect there to be a bundle more lawsuits to apply more pressure and string out the timeline. Its just a bunch lawyer tom foolery by both sides. 

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

I was at the stadium 

there were many plays worthy of head shaking…which one caused it ?

IIRC they showed him sitting in his box looking down shaking his head after that second browns TD…when it was not looking good. I described it as a look and a shake that you would have when you see your neighbor park his car in your grass. I just thought it was cool to see because most of the owners just sit there stoic and looking at the game with no emotion at all. 

• Beer 1

I don't know if humbled is the word I'd use but there are some things we do know.

By his own admission, he looks at what's being said about the Panthers on Twitter.

From that, we can know that he's aware of how both he and the team are perceived. Doesn't really seem to be particularly happy about it either.

These things would thus indicate that how the team is viewed matters to him on at least some level.

So where does it go from here? Unknown, but at least we can say that he's not living in a bubble.

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Tepper said no to the contract. Thats why Watson didnt come here. That was reported widely by our media coverage group. Tepper said he wouldnt gaurantee all 4 years and he wouldnt pay Watson over suspension either. 

As for the lawsuits, those are just bullshit lawsuits to drive up settlement payouts. They arent going to win the case, and now that the Panthers have removed the settlement offer, I expect there to be a bundle more lawsuits to apply more pressure and string out the timeline. Its just a bunch lawyer tom foolery by both sides. 

I mean, I don't know what the truth really is the all the fine details on Watson.  But any contract with him that Tepper did want was a nightmare waiting to happen.   So I don't think nitpicking that his version would be less horrific really helps defend him in the judgement department. 

recent reports don't make it sound like bullshit to just drive up settlements.  Sounds like what most assume, that Tepper wasn't innocent in the clusterfug and does business "messy". 

3 hours ago, NAS said:

One can only hope...

He made his billions making bold bets and feeling like the smartest man in the board room.  Now that he's fallen on his face with the Matt Rhule hire, one can only hope that he's learned his lesson as an NFL owner.  Throwing a 7 year highest paid contract at an unproven coach was just stupid and embarrassing.  He needs to cut his losses, eat humble pie, and acknowledge that he failed.  Maybe then we'll cut him a break and get behind him as he tries to find a real head coach. 

To be clear, this fan base has no faith left in Rhule, but it's not just because of wins and losses, everyone expected the team to struggle for a couple of years.   It's about the way he carries himself and runs the team, and the fact that the team is trending in the wrong direction in almost every aspect.  In short, he's an embarrassment to this organization.  Conversely, someone like Robert Salah is still struggling with wins and losses, but everyone acknowledges he carries himself with dignity, is doing the right things, has the respect of his players and coaches, and will eventually turn that organization around.  

Back to Tepper, I don't think he'll fire Rhule until Panthers are eliminated from the playoffs.  This will give him the leverage to cut his losses and acknowledge the failed experiment and hopefully have a clear plan on how he'll turn this organization around the right way.  This fan base deserves it. 

I wouldnt say this fan base deserves anything, really. The same fan base that cheered when this man was hired. The same fan base that applauded the move to cut Newton and replace him with a revolving door of JAG Qbs. Tons of people loved the Bridgewater signing. The people who didn't have their Tepper/Rhule Rose colored glasses on at the time remember what this board was like if you even dared to speak up against the moves Tepper and Rhule were making. I remember what it was like. And I believe in reaping what you sow. Enjoy it. This is what 95% of this board was supporting not even 2 full seasons ago.

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin
  • Poo 1

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, I don't know what the truth really is the all the fine details on Watson.  But any contract with him that Tepper did want was a nightmare waiting to happen.   So I don't think nitpicking that his version would be less horrific really helps defend him in the judgement department. 

recent reports don't make it sound like bullshit to just drive up settlements.  Sounds like what most assume, that Tepper wasn't innocent in the clusterfug and does business "messy". 

Not defending Tepper, I am just providing insight to why he isnt the contract asshole, and the Browns are.

in the neighboring thread it talks about how the politician in rock hill made empty promises and went against his advisors on the deal. They used money they didnt have to support the buidl. I dont think its a one way street, both parties were at fault. If it was all Tepper's doing and fault, then his legal team would be giving in and settling.  These legal dick measuring contest are always ridiculous in this realm of work. 

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Not defending Tepper, I am just providing insight to why he isnt the contract asshole, and the Browns are.

in the neighboring thread it talks about how the politician in rock hill made empty promises and went against his advisors on the deal. They used money they didnt have to support the buidl. I dont think its a one way street, both parties were at fault. If it was all Tepper's doing and fault, then his legal team would be giving in and settling.  These legal dick measuring contest are always ridiculous in this realm of work. 

I’ve ever portrayed Tepper as being totally at fault for the RH mess.  I’ve always blamed RH for their stake in it.  But some were acting earlier like Tepper didn’t have his fair stake as to why it was clusterfug.  I believe it keeps getting clearer he was part of the problem there. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I’ve ever portrayed Tepper as being totally at fault for the RH mess.  I’ve always blamed RH for their stake in it.  But some were acting earlier like Tepper didn’t have his fair stake as to why it was clusterfug.  I believe it keeps getting clearer he was part of the problem there. 

yeah, both are at fault for sure. It sounds like the venture was a failure from the start.

29 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't know if humbled is the word I'd use but there are some things we do know.

By his own admission, he looks at what's being said about the Panthers on Twitter.

From that, we can know that he's aware of how both he and the team are perceived. Doesn't really seem to be particularly happy about it either.

These things would thus indicate that how the team is viewed matters to him on at least some level.

So where does it go from here? Unknown, but at least we can say that he's not living in a bubble.

Of course he’s worried about perception.  What business person wants their customers (fans) to think poorly of their brand (team)?  

30 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

Of course he’s worried about perception.  What business person wants their customers (fans) to think poorly of their brand (team)? 

Oh, there are definitely NFL owners who don't seem to give a sh-t. I wouldn't put Tepper in that category.

He does, sadly, still seem to be in the category of "owners that have no clue what they're doing".

• Pie 1