• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Derek Carr anyone?

joemac

40 minutes ago, ThPantherFan said:

Wasn't Carr a Panther previously?

David Carr, Derek Carr's older brother, was a Panther in 2007. He started 4 games. That was the year Jake Delhomme had his injury. Injuries plagued the Panthers QBs that year and the Panthers went through Delhomme, Carr, Testaverde, and Moore.

Derek Carr is a good option at QB. In 6 wins this season he had 4 GWD. That is a potential 4 losses he managed to rescue. The Panthers QBs in 2022 only had 1 GWD against the Saints to end the season. If you were just to swap out Carr for Baker, Darnold, and Walker, the Panthers record goes from 7-10 to 10-7. If you swap out Wilks for Rhule to start the season, the Panthers go from 10-7 to 11-6. If you have CMC and Bozeman starting together for the Panthers all year, the Panthers go from 11-6 to 13-4.

Carr is definitely an option for a championship minded team/front office. Carr was respected more than McDaniels in Vegas and it showed with how McDaniels handled that team. Carr is a better fit with a respected coach like Wilks, Rivera, or Reed. We all know the Raiders front office is a clown show.

A good option, but not the best option.

• Pie 6

2 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

David Carr, Derek Carr's older brother, was a Panther in 2007. He started 4 games. That was the year Jake Delhomme had his injury. Injuries plagued the Panthers QBs that year and the Panthers went through Delhomme, Carr, Testaverde, and Moore.

Derek Carr is a good option at QB. In 6 wins this season he had 4 GWD. That is a potential 4 losses he managed to rescue. The Panthers QBs in 2022 only had 1 GWD against the Saints to end the season. If you were just to swap out Carr for Baker, Darnold, and Walker, the Panthers record goes from 7-10 to 10-7. If you swap out Wilks for Rhule to start the season, the Panthers go from 10-7 to 11-6. If you have CMC and Bozeman starting together for the Panthers all year, the Panthers go from 11-6 to 13-4.

Carr is definitely an option for a championship minded team/front office. Carr was respected more than McDaniels in Vegas and it showed with how McDaniels handled that team. Carr is a better fit with a respected coach like Wilks, Rivera, or Reed. We all know the Raiders front office is a clown show.

There was a whole lot of make believe in this post. Reality is Carr and Darnold put up similar level stats this year despite Carr having the far better supporting cast. 

Is Carr a better QB than Darnold? Sure

Enough to justify a 40mil cap hit? No

If we just swap a healthy Darnold out for PJ and Baker all season, we’re likely a 10 win team. 

Edited by ECHornet
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

There was a whole lot of make believe in this post. Reality is Carr and Darnold put up similar level stats this year despite Carr having the far better supporting cast. 

If we just swap a healthy Darnold out for PJ and Baker all season, we’re likely a 10 win team. 

There isn't even a comparison between the two QB's. Carr is in the group of QB's just behind the elite QB's in the NFL(three time Pro Bowler) and Darnold would be considered a mid-tier backup at best. Not to mention that Carr's three worst NFL seasons would be close to Sam Darnold's best three in QBR/QB Rating. The statistical comparison on averages alone makes this insanely laughable.

Carr would immediately make the Panthers(depending on HC, obviously) the prohibitive NFC South favorite. 

But......the price tag is likely to be high. And will the owner buy off on another re-tread QB after the past few offseasons?

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • The D 1

38 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

There isn't even a comparison between the two QB's. Carr is in the group of QB's just behind the elite QB's in the NFL(three time Pro Bowler) and Darnold would be considered a mid-tier backup at best. Not to mention that Carr's three worst NFL seasons would be close to Sam Darnold's best three in QBR/QB Rating. The statistical comparison on averages alone makes this insanely laughable.

Carr would immediately make the Panthers(depending on HC, obviously) the prohibitive NFC South favorite. 

But......the price tag is likely to be high. And will the owner buy off on another re-tread QB after the past few offseasons?

There is a comparison if you just look at the most recent year. That’s what I’m saying, and that’s why he’s not worth $35mil a year more than Darnold. 

What’s best for the Panthers next year and beyond?  I don’t think it’s sacrificing any future cap for a regressing Carr. 

4 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

if we aren't going to be able to get one of the top QB options in the first, we should probably be looking at another vet and Carr is probably the best option we're going to find. i really like the guy. high character. good leader. bad fit with mcdaniels who is still a punk kid wearing pants too big for him. 

like i said before, Lamar and him are two i'd be pretty happy with. I seriously doubt Lamar is going to leave the ravens anytime soon. they'll tag him before they let him go. 

i wouldn't trade for Carr...wouldn't need to and i think every other interested team knows this. 

btw, i don't think even if we do get Carr that we shouldn't still draft a QB. Absolutely we should keep swinging....just swing for a mid round guy and let Carr mentor Corral and whoever else we draft. 

one thing that Carr would do is make our offense competitive right away. 

and i totally agree that if we had him last year we and we started with Wilks several weeks earlier we would have been looking at a 9 or 10 win season this year and we would have been division champs.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, ECHornet said:

i think much of what didn't work for the raiders this year was due to mcdaniels as head coach. 

i don't think that i'd want to pay Carr that $35mil, but i think he would have been more worthy of the price we paid for Darnold. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i think much of what didn't work for the raiders this year was due to mcdaniels as head coach. 

i don't think that i'd want to pay Carr that $35mil, but i think he would have been more worthy of the price we paid for Darnold. 

Agreed. I'd sign Carr to a two year contract at ~20-25mil per and I wouldn't mind it being fully guaranteed due to the short term. I would use that two year period being aggressive in looking for a young future franchise QB. If he's adamant he wants more than a two year contract, I'm out and I would prefer to keep Darnold for cheap during that two year window we're searching for a franchise QB.

• Beer 3

8 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Agreed. I'd sign Carr to a two year contract at ~20-25mil per and I wouldn't mind it being fully guaranteed due to the short term. I would use that two year period being aggressive in looking for a young future franchise QB. If he's adamant he wants more than a two year contract, I'm out and I would prefer to keep Darnold for cheap during that two year window we're searching for a franchise QB.

it depends on how Carr did. i think 2 years is plenty of time to show what he could do. if we had a stable coaching situation, 1 year would be enough. but if Carr shows to be strong, then we should definitely be open to keeping him and riding that horse as long as we can, but still keep working on developing a QB behind him, which is something that we didn't really do with Jake. there wasn't really a plan 'B' with Jake except Carr's brother who was forced to start way too early in his rehab from the damage done by houston. 

Derek Carr is 31 years old, which for a good vet QB isn't really old. He's probably got another 5 or 6 really good years left in him. i know we'd like to have that 10-15 year franchise QB, but those guys are increasingly rare. if you can get a guy that plays solid for you for 5-6 years, i think you're ahead of the curve. 

15 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

As much as I don't think Carr is a top 5 franchise guy, he can play like a top 10 QB at times. If we aren't trading up we could sign him and take the best DE available at 9. 

yeah, there are a lot of really good options beyond QB at 9. as much as i would like to go offense, esp. QB in round 1, if we had QB taken care of i would love to address the edge and get someone good on the other side of Burns.

15 minutes ago, rayzor said:

it depends on how Carr did. i think 2 years is plenty of time to show what he could do. if we had a stable coaching situation, 1 year would be enough. but if Carr shows to be strong, then we should definitely be open to keeping him and riding that horse as long as we can, but still keep working on developing a QB behind him, which is something that we didn't really do with Jake. there wasn't really a plan 'B' with Jake except Carr's brother who was forced to start way too early in his rehab from the damage done by houston. 

Derek Carr is 31 years old, which for a good vet QB isn't really old. He's probably got another 5 or 6 really good years left in him. i know we'd like to have that 10-15 year franchise QB, but those guys are increasingly rare. if you can get a guy that plays solid for you for 5-6 years, i think you're ahead of the curve. 

I agree, if he plays like a top 10 QB or leads us to deep playoff runs, we would have to consider resigning him. My gut feeling is he would play like a mid-level starter and we wouldn't advance past the divisional round of the playoffs. Ideally, by then we would have a young QB ready to roll in his 2nd or 3rd season. Maybe that young QB is so promising we trade Carr in that second year. That's hopeful, but should be our thought process if we acquire Carr.

Edited by ECHornet
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, ECHornet said:

There is a comparison if you just look at the most recent year. That’s what I’m saying, and that’s why he’s not worth $35mil a year more than Darnold. 

What’s best for the Panthers next year and beyond?  I don’t think it’s sacrificing any future cap for a regressing Carr. 

Yeah, I mean I really just don't think you actually have watched Carr this year or any year if you think that.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1