• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An analysis of what went wrong between Tepper and Rhule by Charles Robinson

Mr. Scot

10 minutes ago, NAS said:

Good read but gives Rhule too much benefit of the doubt and shifts blame to Tepper for catastrophic coaching. 

Tepper is to blame for hiring Rhule, period. The Stafford trade I am glad it didn’t happen. He is regressing quickly and looks like a one year rental to help Rams win the SuperBowl. He looks terrible this year

This whole 'just needed a quarterback' thing ignores Rhule's strategic ineptitude, inability to evaluate talent, and other potential issues being hinted at throughout his time at the orgnaization. A couple of additional wins through better QB play doesn't paper over all of those fundamentlal failures.

And Tepper... well, the degree of dumbassery can vary by opinion but little question that Rhule was a massive mistake.

Edited by KSpan
  • Beer 1

Just now, KSpan said:

This whole 'just needed a quarterback' thing ignores Rhule's strategic ineptitude, inability to evaluate talent, and other potential issues being hinted at throughout his time at the orgnaization. A couple of additional wins through better QB play doesn't paper over all of those fundamentlal failures.

And Tepper... well, the degree of dumbassery can vary by opinion but little question that Rhule was a massive mistake.

I don’t think he is saying you just need a qb but you simply cannot be successful without one.   I think he clearly understands why rhule had to go

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

That last bit there, that's some masterful writing and insight.

Robinson is really good. And yeah, this piece is very well written.

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

damn tepper was right about stafford

Maybe we are giving him too much poo

On that front, perhaps. Giving Rhule the contract and the power he did though is still his own fault, and a massive mistake.

What's crazy to me is how quickly he "soured on that investment". Kinda reframes the question of why he stick with him so long.

• Pie 5

Rhule made Brady and probably McAdoo run his "system". Before Rhule was hired some reporter had the nerve to call him a QB guru. In hindsight that was the most stupid statement of that year.

Fast forward to now and we can all see Rhule was like ankle weights to any NFL QB he brought in. Thank goodness he's gone before his guruness messed up Matt Corral too.

It's probably best he did put Corral at the end of the bench away from his bad QB juju.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

On that front, perhaps. Giving Rhule the contract and the power he did though is still his own fault, and a massive mistake.

What's crazy to me is how quickly he "soured on that investment". Kinda reframes the question of why he stick with him so long.

He had to sour.   It was painfully obvious that in year 3 rhule was in over his head 

35 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah well the difference there is hardware. The Rams have a Super Bowl championship to point to, even if Stafford's long term health declines. They reached the mountaintop. 

Exactly.  It's also why I don't think we should feel content with our offense outside of QB and need to keep refining and building it up for when we happen to find the QB.  Need more skill position guys competing.  If a QB magically appeared next year (i.e. Young, Stroud, Levis), they'd have CMC and DJ, but realistically, have to think where those two will be in 2-3 years.  Need to position ourselves for success for when we finally land that QB and not fall into the trap of just sucking until we have a top-5 draft hit.  

Stafford walking into that situation with O'Conner, 2021 OL, Cooper Kupp (who was the real league MVP IMO), OBJ, and that defense of studs was the reason they won.  All of that coming together under a great coach.  

So we're back to step 1, bottom of the mountaintop: get the coach.  

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, saX man said:

Exactly.  It's also why I don't think we should feel content with our offense outside of QB and need to keep refining and building it up for when we happen to find the QB.  Need more skill position guys competing.  If a QB magically appeared next year (i.e. Young, Stroud, Levis), they'd have CMC and DJ, but realistically, have to think where those two will be in 2-3 years.  Need to position ourselves for success for when we finally land that QB and not fall into the trap of just sucking until we have a top-5 draft hit.  

Stafford walking into that situation with O'Conner, 2021 OL, Cooper Kupp (who was the real league MVP IMO), OBJ, and that defense of studs was the reason they won.  All of that coming together under a great coach.  

So we're back to step 1, bottom of the mountaintop: get the coach.  

Yep. I really hope we don't goof this up. If so, my faith in the future will be very limited.

We can only go as far as our leadership will allow.

Tepper after this article after what he's been through is most definitely NOT taking chances with an upstart coach. You guys see the writing on the wall right? It's not going to be the hottest new up and coming OC/DC. He's going to go and get a coach who's had success in the NFL.

We know Tepper has a hard on for Sean Payton and it is painfully obvious but he couldn't keep Rhule long enough for Payton's contract to expire. So now Scot can trim his list to experience only and we can go from there.

He's fired Rhule when he really didn't want to and to me that's a major course correction for him that was unexpected but very welcome indeed. There is hope for this Tepper guy yet and still.

Edited by rippadonn
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Tepper after this article after what he's been through is most definitely NOT taking chances with an upstart coach. You guys see the writing on the wall right? It's not going to be the hottest new up and coming OC/DC. He's going to go and get a coach who's had success in the NFL.

We know Tepper has a hard on for Sean Payton the is painfully obvious but he couldn't keep Rhule long enough for Payton's contract to expire. So now Scot can trim his list to experience only and we can go from there.

He's fired Rhule when he really didn't want to and to me that's a major course correction for him that was unexpected but very welcome indeed. There is hope for this Tepper guy yet and still.

I've said elsewhere it feels like we're headed towards a Bills hire Rex Ryan move.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Just now, trueblade said:

I've said elsewhere it feels like we're headed towards a Bills hire Rex Ryan move.

Just trying to prepare others for the inevitable. There's a lot of dreaming going on. Teppers next move will be much more pragmatic and less cutting edge hopefulness. He's looking for a lock.

If Wilks isn't it. I know a guy. I'll drive up to Michigan myself and help him pack.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Really begs the question that Fowler was asking.  What changed between the end of last season and 5 games into this one?  It makes no sense.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, NAS said:

Good read but gives Rhule too much benefit of the doubt and shifts blame to Tepper for catastrophic coaching.

Tepper is to blame for hiring Rhule, period. The Stafford trade I am glad it didn’t happen. He is regressing quickly and looks like a one year rental to help Rams win the SuperBowl. He looks terrible this year

I wouldn't say he absolves Rhule. He acknowledged Rhule was pretty bad.

Talking about "red light dashboard moments", Robinson said this...

Rhule’s tenure had plenty of those moments. There’s little doubt that he’d take back some of the news conference metaphors. Or that he leaves the NFL frustrated over coaching staff mistakes and the inability to craft any kind of consistent offense. When he knew it was the end and he spoke to his team, he described it as a test of adversity, and lessons that would make him better wherever he lands next. Mostly he related that he was sorry he couldn’t get it done for everyone who counted on him.

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Really begs the question that Fowler was asking.  What changed between the end of last season and 5 games into this one?  It makes no sense.

He was 1-4 and just about everything was butt ugly.   Josh Klein said Tepper was going to give him 5 games to see what was up and tepper thought with the schedule we should be at least 3-2. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He was 1-4 and just about everything was butt ugly.   Josh Klein said Tepper was going to give him 5 games to see what was up and tepper thought with the schedule we should be at least 3-2. 

I know it was ugly.  I watched all the games 😂

I'm just saying it was a foregone conclusion after last season.  There was no chance Rhule turned it around.  I think we all saw that except Tepper.